QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to Google that. So it was a normal day with Serenes Forest, Awakening and studying

Success.

New question!

If you could make yourself absolutely fearless, would you do it? Keep in mind that while there does not appear to be any drawbacks for doing so, there may be some unintended consequences to becoming a fearless individual.

Personally, as much as it contradicts what I would want, I'd opt out of being fearless. Fear is good for keeping people on edge, even if succumbing to fear can be devastating.

Yes. Because I wouldn't get into situations where I'd be chased down by a tiger or something like that in the first place. And even if I did, since I'm fearless, I'd have a better chance of surviving since I can keep a cooler head instead of panicking. Fearless doesn't mean dumb or reckless, necessarily

Edited by Ciarre

Yes. Because I wouldn't get into situations where I'd be chased down by a tiger or something like that in the first place. And even if I did, since I'm fearless, I'd have a better chance of surviving since I can keep a cooler head instead of panicking. Fearless doesn't mean dumb or reckless, necessarily

Being afraid isn't a bad thing. The right amount of fear, if properly controlled, can sharpen the senses and improve muscle performance. It's also important to maintain a healthy level of tension because it helps you detect danger ahead in time. But, well, it doesn't do you any good if you're too scared to do anything.

No.

Fear is a survival tool. People with no fear don't know when to back off, and promptly get beaten up/shot/eaten/otherwise entered into the Darwin Awards. Me, I'd rather be concerned about that tiger pounding towards me.

I agree - fear is needed and useful. So I'd say "no".

Edited by Assurhaddon

I would probably say yes. I'd like to think I'm experienced enough to know when something is a good or a bad idea without putting fear into the equation.

I'd say if made fearless, you would devalue your experiences as a tool to dissuade yourself from making certain decisions on the basis that you are fearless, thus by definition of being fearless, you could potentially be impossibly stubborn and by extension not know when to back out. This is especially true for new situations where fear might be the only thing holding you back from doing something stupid.

Given the fact I don't know what being fearless would result in and the potential risks, out of fear, I would say no to fearlessness.

No, and pretty much for this reason:

No.

Fear is a survival tool. People with no fear don't know when to back off, and promptly get beaten up/shot/eaten/otherwise entered into the Darwin Awards. Me, I'd rather be concerned about that tiger pounding towards me.