Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the worse team was winning this was expectable.

It's so fitting to this awful European Championship imo. This was no advertisement for me to follow this sports more precisely in the future.

The FiFa couldn't recover their image... quite the opposite I guess. (referring to the reporting of the riots by English and Russian "fans")

At least Portugal won as a team for the first time.

German football doesn't interest me anymore.

Bayern Munich buys the best players of their rivals and wins their national title every year.

It's just commercial and boring.

I only watch WC and Champions League partly.

In general I always favor the underdog. That means I'd prefer to see Wales or Iceland to see winning the EC more than my home country.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Congrats to Portugal for winning the Euros. Now to wait another month for football to be back. Least I can humor myself with transfer speculation.

Meanwhile, I've got MLS to keep me company

Hey, it's something!

German football doesn't interest me anymore.

Bayern Munich buys the best players of their rivals and wins their national title every year.

It's just commercial and boring.

I only watch WC and Champions League partly.

In general I always favor the underdog. That means I'd prefer to see Wales or Iceland to see winning the EC more than my home country.

support a lower-league club, then

I've actually been getting kind of a nostalgia kick from semi-professional football. I never ended up seeing my old local team, formerly a reasonably big force in the NSL, now a reasonably big force in, well, the NPL (state leagues, combine to form kind of a fractured semi-pro second tier), but the NSW NPL uploads highlights of every match and, sure, the quality of the football is mostly garbage but it's still nice to see and gives me hope that a professional Australian second tier would be pretty decent, honestly.

• 2 weeks later...

updating the thread to mention that, uh... Higuain is probably going to Juventus, breaking Serie A forever

um

fans don't like this really

xwEJ4yA.jpg.png

they really don't

it'll be really funny if the move doesn't happen eh

ANYWAY

other good and cool things; manchester united wasting a world record sum on a player they literally had on the books as a teenager lmao

• 2 weeks later...

I know the price for Higuain may seem high considering his age but Juventus are basically paying 75 million pounds to hobble one of the few teams currently capable of challenging them for the title, which makes a lot sense when you think about it. They also snagged Pjanic from Roma, if I recall.

It's terrible and I wish it hadn't happened and I hope Higuain treats every game like the final of a major tournament and Juventus finish 5th. AC Milan got taken over by Chinese millionaires at the millionth attempt and might become a power again, which would be refreshing. Christ, football is dead in... many leagues around the world.

On the bright side football is alive and well in southern NSW where Woollongong Wolves, a semi-professional state league club, have offered Ronaldinho $100,000 to play their Cup match against Sydney FC. The last time a second-tier club brought in an ancient international to play one game it went really well for them!!

It'll be the best of both worlds. I'll get to see a fat man fuck around a pitch doing cool tricks while my 11 actual professionals destroy the 10 garbagemen running hopelessly around the pitch! Ronaldinho's aim is to get an A-League contract but I can't see it happening, he's too shit by this point. Has an MLS contract written all over him tbh. Other people who want to go to the A-League include;

+ Miroslav Klose! I honestly wouldn't complain!

+ every single player born in western australia who had been playing in the championship or league one to perth glory on a free

+ some dude called Bobo

+ Not Abebayo Akinfenwa

+ why do we keep being linked to peter crouch

+ presumably some replacements for double-winners adelaide united who just sold their entire team

+ reuben reid??

+ PLEASE DEAR GOD A FUCKING STRIKER FOR SYDNEY. ANYONE.

Pleasingly every football journalist in the country has gotten hooked on the objectively correct idea of a professional nationwide second tier and then promotion/relegation between at least the professional tiers, probably across the whole lot. It's achievable within a decade, I reckon - smoothly and sufficiently, we just need the FFA to have the ambition to do what's right. Fuck yes!

Edited by Parrhesia

It's terrible and I wish it hadn't happened and I hope Higuain treats every game like the final of a major tournament and Juventus finish 5th. AC Milan got taken over by Chinese millionaires at the millionth attempt and might become a power again, which would be refreshing. Christ, football is dead in... many leagues around the world.

On the bright side football is alive and well in southern NSW where Woollongong Wolves, a semi-professional state league club, have offered Ronaldinho $100,000 to play their Cup match against Sydney FC. The last time a second-tier club brought in an ancient international to play one game it went really well for them!!

It'll be the best of both worlds. I'll get to see a fat man fuck around a pitch doing cool tricks while my 11 actual professionals destroy the 10 garbagemen running hopelessly around the pitch! Ronaldinho's aim is to get an A-League contract but I can't see it happening, he's too shit by this point. Has an MLS contract written all over him tbh. Other people who want to go to the A-League include;

+ Miroslav Klose! I honestly wouldn't complain!

+ every single player born in western australia who had been playing in the championship or league one to perth glory on a free

+ some dude called Bobo

+ Not Abebayo Akinfenwa

+ why do we keep being linked to peter crouch

+ presumably some replacements for double-winners adelaide united who just sold their entire team

+ reuben reid??

+ PLEASE DEAR GOD A FUCKING STRIKER FOR SYDNEY. ANYONE.

Pleasingly every football journalist in the country has gotten hooked on the objectively correct idea of a professional nationwide second tier and then promotion/relegation between at least the professional tiers, probably across the whole lot. It's achievable within a decade, I reckon - smoothly and sufficiently, we just need the FFA to have the ambition to do what's right. Fuck yes!

Nah, we don't want him either, he's too old even for us. Need to have some gas left in the tank in order to be successful here. Lothar Matthäus learned that the hard way

I dunno, the corpse of Frank Lampard seems to be thriving. ... Eventually.

It really is all about attitude, though. Old players who were good once can thrive if properly motivated, but I think for the most part it's a waste to sign them. Certainly on the pitch. Del Piero gave Sydney pretty much nothing outside of set pieces, but his signing was a huge shot in the arm for the league, and certainly for us specifically. Just... we came 7th and 5th. Particularly in a post-Chinese-relevance world it'll be very unlikely that a star of that level of newsworthiness will come here again... except, to be fair, Ronaldinho would be in that category, but I think he'd genuinely be an embarrassment on the pitch.

Speaking of Sydney, we're yet to finish off our squad. Graham Arnold said 'fuck it I'm gonna stop developing young players' and released a shitton of guys including Cici Naumoff who almost signed for Numancia but the medical revealed he had the same condition Marc-Vivian Foe had, so. Um. I'm glad he didn't die playing for us? Poor bastard. He was properly good, too.

Anyway, we have a really solid-looking defence, inexplicably two of the best goalkeepers in the league - certainly my two favourites - but both were badly out of form last season so God knows how that'll work out, a solid but uninspiring midfield and tentatively this Brazilian guy called Bobo up front who was Galatasaray's main man for like eight years. Hopefully him and our marquee Holosko, who was Besiktas' main man for like eight years, don't try to kill each other. That's basically us, really - solid, but lacking inspiration. We should still do far better this season than last.

By contrast Melbourne Victory beat Juventus, Atletico Madrid and Newcastle in the space of nine days, and they haven't even finished making their signings, either. So, um, I'm scared.

Perth Glory signed a bunch of Championship-level Australian players, retained the best foreign player in the league last season and I think have a great chance of the title. They look insanely solid and also have two of the best strikers in the league in Keogh and Adam 'World Cup starter' Taggart. Their only weakness is between the posts.

Western Sydney are, annoyingly, good. They still have a really good team and manager.

Melbourne City are flaky as shit, it's in their genes. Also they lost Mooy, their best player - still have an insanely good striker, or at least a striker who had the best season of his career last season, but that was largely aided and abetted by Mooy's million assists. They have no defence and a geriatric goalkeeper.

Probably not most peoples' prediction, but Newcastle Jets should finally reach the finals for the first time since they won the whole tournament like, six years ago. Scott Miller, their mid-30s manager, turned Newcastle Jets from an embarrassment when he arrived into a perfectly solid, respectable but limited 8th-placed team over the course of a season, managing as many wins in his first four matches as Newcastle managed in all 27 last season. They'll be solid and limited yet again, but better this time.

I really want Wellington to do well. They have a shot at it, having signed one of the best New Zealand players and also a decent Brazilian midfielder in Finkler off Melbourne. They need performances to improve.

Brisbane are broke and in turmoil. On paper they should do better but I'd already decided on my top six and they weren't in it. Also John Aloisi is a fraud of a manager.

Double-champions Adelaide United? Their whole team's been gutted in the offseason and they lost to a semi-professional side in the Cup. I think they're going to struggle... but 3rd-9th will be pretty close, I reckon. Also they'll be stretched badly by ACL commitments. They have a proud tradition of doing pretty well in the ACL so hopefully they continue that!

Central Coast also just lost to semi-professionals. They were an embarrassment to the league last season so they have kept their manager for some reason and decided to sign Sydney's two aging Senegalese liabilities and our 36-year old backup goalkeeper to be their first-choice goalkeeper. They will probably sign Ronaldinho. I feel really bad for anyone living on the Central Coast.

Official Parrhesia Predictions

1 Perth Glory

2 Melbourne Victory

3 war criminals

4 Sydney FC

5 Melbourne City

6 Newcastle Jets

7 Wellington Phoenix

8 Brisbane Roar

9 Adelaide United

10 Central Coast Mariners

I am glad that fucking Fiji U23s have scored a goal and Brazil haven't. I lowkey love Roy Krishna (will probably get to see him in person come November!), so it's good to see.

Saw most of Brazil vs Iraq, hilarious stuff, Brazil reduced to shambolic diving. My brave Iraqi boys will go far, I'm sure. ... Though it should have been us who qualified, honestly. Fuck whichever Vidmar brother was in charge of them.

I am glad that fucking Fiji U23s have scored a goal and Brazil haven't. I lowkey love Roy Krishna (will probably get to see him in person come November!), so it's good to see.

Saw most of Brazil vs Iraq, hilarious stuff, Brazil reduced to shambolic diving. My brave Iraqi boys will go far, I'm sure. ... Though it should have been us who qualified, honestly. Fuck whichever Vidmar brother was in charge of them.

We can drink our solaces in the fact that neither of our mens U23's qualified. :/

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/764182934798606337

Shut up, Hope Solo. Sweden took their chances. We didn't, that's why they're going to the semifinals while the US is going home. End of story.

I usually wonder at how some people think "deserving" = winning.

You win if you score, not by "deserving".

Oh well, I guess the salt takes the best of you at times.

She is right guys. Sweden's gameplan obviously should be around a more open game that could enable USA to move more freely.