FEditor fooling with save data

Vennobennu

So I've been trying to use FEditor, but whenever I make any changes - be it editing a simple text string (e.g 'Emblem' Axe --> 'Master Axe') to inserting an animation, the stats on player characters randomly increase. Some have all their stats go up by five points, and some only have a few stats increase by a few points. One time, attempting to view an edited text string caused the game to crash, though I haven't been able to replicate this.

Resuming or restarting a chapter has no effect on the stats, which often break the caps. The stat increases do not correspond with the class bases of the characters, although no characters have their Luck increased.

This happens on both edited and clean ROMs of FE7 and FE8. It doesn't appear to mess the ROM data, in that starting a new game doesn't appear to have any problems, but I'm not willing to risk it. Does anybody know why this happens, and does it really only affect save data and not the ROM itself?

feditor has an autopatch that changes the way stats are stored in the save

instead of storing the absolute stats, the stats stored in the save are added to the personal bases, so the stat increases you're seeing are the unit's personal bases