Beneath the Shadows Chapter One: Ancient Fears

scorri

"Y-You're really not helping, Alfonso... I appreciate the effort, though," she said as she took a deep breath and attempted to calm herself. Ernce showed up, and that also furthered her calm. You're surrounded by strong, tough mercenaries. There's no way anything could happen to you, and they're good enough to handle themselves, surely. Despite this steeling, Alfonso's sudden laugh made her jump with a squeak and attach herself to Ernce's arm. "Please, be quieter!" she whispered, as loudly as she could, "you nearly scared me to death before any of these apparent monsters, ruffians, and or thieves could!" She glared at Alfonso, not that he could see in the darkness, and tried to catch her breath.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Er, sorry about that..." Alfonso replied, seemed he really went the wrong way with his speech. He scratched his head, figuring it'd be a fair time to change subjects. "I'll stay in the front, in case I spot anything. So you won't have to worry." He said, still stalling for some thought... still drawing a blank, unfortunately.

Figuring it'd be better to not poke and let them get used to the eeriness on their own, Alfonso figured he should just follow with his word, taking the front of the group and scouting to the best of his ability through that untimely hour.

Ernce froze when Linn suddenly latched onto his arm. He hadn't expected it and, for a brief moment, thought that something had latched onto him with the intent to steal his life force. It was a few seconds, though they felt much longer to Ernce, before he regained his composure and tried to hide his mishap with a joke. "Hey, easy there. I know I'm a big, strong mercenary but that doesn't mean you can use me as a shield!" Ernce said in mock annoyance before chuckling at his own joke.

"But seriously, you actually surprised me," Ernce admitted sheepishly. "Although I think that's more in part to the lack of light and how strange this scenario seems. I mean, why would the attackers just leave the buildings untouched for the most part? It just doesn't add up..."

"Oh, sorry about that," Linn said, a bit blankly, letting go of the poor man and taking a few steps back. "I'd best be able to use you as a shield! You and Alfonso both. I'm wearing a dress. At least you've got metal protecting your organs. So yes, shield, please...I'll make sure to do my best to keep you safe, of course!" She'd managed to bring her smile back, which she counted as a success. She could only nod, though, at what Ernce was saying. This village was far too weird.

Edited by I have opinions

Raelyn took note of the final person in their group. That must be Jacob. Her attention snapped to Chandra. What was she doing in there alone? She mentioned a group of people she cooked for. That means she's been out on the road before, and probably not for a vacation. I'll trust her judgment.

"Do you see anything unusual in there, Chandra?" Raelyn asked. She winced as her voice carried through the too-silent village. I'm not in a bar, I'm not in a bar. . . Making a note to keep her voice down, she turned to Rimsky. "I ain't gonna forgive myself if somethin' gets past me and smacks ya. However, I can't do much about your back. This darkness ain't helpin', so we'll probably have to rely on hearin' or something."

" I get yeh, Raelyn, and I've got yer back covered. We don't want a repeat of our last battle now. Last thing we need is ter end up like Brader." he said quietly, trying to ward those thoughts and doubts that were clouding his mind. It wasn't helping and would probably get him killed if they really fought a battle now.

"Well Chandra we don't know when dis happened. Maybe they left a long time ago, maybe they've gone far. We've got no idea. Who knows what might be lurkin' in here..." he said, quiet puzzled by the scenario they were in.

Harrop's Harriers rounded a corner to find themselves in the center of town. Facing them were creatures that could have been found in any of their nightmares. Wolves that seemed to be made out of black smoke, shades, hounds with glowing red eyes and jet black fur, a gargoyle wielding a scythe, a phoenix made out of black fire, and worst of all, mortals like themselves. But something was clearly wrong. Their skin was a dark purple, almost black, their eyes pure red with no pupils. As the sun finished setting, the only thing of the monsters that could be truly seen was their red eyes, piercing the shadows that cloaked them.
Battle Begin
[spoiler=Enemies]

1/3 Corrupted Half-Elf Dark Flier
HP: 8 STR: 4 MAG: 9 SKL: 7 SPD: 9 LCK: 4 DEF: 4 RES: 2
HP: 24 MT: 9(11) HIT: 9 AS: 9 AVO: 11 DEF: 11 RES: 2
Defensive Armor C
Killer Dark Tome C
Offensive Lance C
T1 Skill
Wrath

1/1 Corrupted Human Shaman
HP: 6 STR: 0 MAG: 8 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 2 DEF: 3 RES: 7
HP: 18 MT: 13 HIT: 8 AS: 6 AVO: 8 DEF: 10 RES: 7
Defensive Armor C
Offensive Dark Tome C
T1 Skill
Hard Hit

1/1 Gargoyle (WTN, physical)
HP: 7 STR/MAG: 8 SKL: 7 AS: 7 LCK: 4 DEF: 5 RES: 5
HP: 21 MT: 8 HIT: 9 AS: 7 AVO: 9 DEF: 5 RES: 5
--------------------------------------------------------------
1/1 Corrupted Human Myrm
HP: 5 STR: 7 MAG: 0 SKL: 11 SPD: 12 LCK: 4 DEF: 1 RES: 1
HP: 15 MT: 7 HIT: 13 AS: 12 AVO: 14 DEF: 6 RES: 6
Defensive Sword C
Resistance Armor C
T1 Skill
Hard Hit

1/1 Corrupted Elf Monk
HP: 5 STR: 0 MAG: 10 SKL: 9 SPD: 9 LCK: 2 DEF: 1 RES: 5
HP: 15 MT: 10 HIT: 10 AS: 9 AVO: 10 DEF: 1 RES: 5
Slayer Dark Tome C (Recruit Focus)
Anti-slayer Armor C
T1 Skill
Dampen (Res)

1/1 Dark Phoenix (Dark Magic)
HP: 7 STR/MAG: 8 SKL: 7 AS: 7 LCK: 4 DEF: 5 RES: 5
HP: 21 MT: 8 HIT: 9 AS: 7 AVO: 9 DEF: 5 RES: 5
---------------------------------------------------------------
1/1 Corrupted Dwarf Wyvern Rider
HP: 8 STR: 11 MAG: 0 SKL: 3 SPD: 5 LCK: 2 DEF: 7 RES: 4
HP: 24 MT: 11 HIT: 9 AS: 5 AVO: 6 DEF: 7 RES: 9
Skill Axe C
Resistance Armor C
T1 Skill
Hard Hit

1/1 Corrupted Human Soldier
HP: 5 STR: 10 MAG: 0 SKL: 8 SPD: 8 LCK: 4 DEF: 5 RES: 1
HP: 15 MT: 10 HIT: 10 AS: 8 AVO: 10 DEF: 5 RES: 1
Poison Lance
Anti-Poison Armor C
T1 Skill
Wrath

------------------------------------------------------------

1/1 Corrupted Human Shaman
HP: 6 STR: 0 MAG: 9 SKL: 6 SPD: 5 LCK: 2 DEF: 6 RES: 7
HP: 18 MT: 9 HIT: 7 AS: 5 AVO: 6 DEF: 6 RES: 7
Poison Dark Tome
T1 Skill

0/2 Hellhound A (WTN, physical)
HP: 5 STR: 6 MAG: 0 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 2 DEF: 3 RES: 3
HP: 15 MT: 6 HIT: 7 AS: 6 AVO: 7 DEF: 3 RES: 3

0/1 Shade A (dark magic)
HP: 4 STR: 0 MAG: 5 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 2 DEF: 2 RES: 3
HP: 12 MT: 5 HIT: 7 AS: 6 AVO: 7 DEF: 2 RES: 3

0/1 corrupted human journeyman
HP: 4 STR: 5 MAG: 0 SKL: 6 SPD: 5 LCK: 4 DEF: 1 RES: 1
HP: 12 MT: 5 HIT: 8 AS: 5 AVO: 7 DEF: 1 RES: 1
Plain Sword
----------------------------------------------------------

0/2 corrupted human recruit
HP: 5 STR: 7 MAG: 0 SKL: 7 SPD: 4 LCK: 2 DEF:2 RES: 2
HP: 15 MT: 7 HIT: 8 AS: 4 AVO: 5 DEF: 2 RES: 2
Plain Lance

0/2 Nightshade A (dark magic)
HP: 5 STR: 0 MAG: 6 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 2 DEF: 3 RES: 3

0/1 corrupted elf apprentice
HP: 5 STR: 0 MAG: 7 SKL: 3 SPD: 4 LCK: 2 DEF:1 RES: 4
HP: 15 MT: 0 (heals for 7) HIT: 4 AS: 4 AVO: 5 DEF: 1 RES: 4
Plain Staff

0/1 Direwolf A
HP: 4 STR: 5 MAG: 0 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 2 DEF: 2 RES: 3
--------------------------------------------------------------
0/2 corrupted dwarf riding novice
HP: 5 STR: 6 MAG: 0 SKL: 5 SPD: 4 LCK: 2 DEF:4 RES: 2
HP: 15 MT: 6 HIT: 6 AS: 4 AVO: 5 DEF: 3 RES: 2
Plain Bow

0/2 corrupted human journeyman
HP: 6 STR: 6 MAG: 0 SKL: 6 SPD: 4 LCK: 4 DEF: 2 RES: 1
HP: 18 MT: 6 HIT: 8 AS: 4 AVO: 6 DEF: 2 RES: 1
Plain Axe

0/1 Shade B (dark magic)

0/1 Direwolf B (WTN, physical)
-----------------------------------------------------------
0/2 corrupted elf acolyte (healing)
HP: 5 STR: 0 MAG: 6 SKL: 4 SPD: 5 LCK: 4 DEF:2 RES: 3
HP: 15 MT: 0 (heals for 6) HIT: 6 AS: 6 AVO: 7 DEF: 2 RES: 3
Plain Staff

0/1 corrupted human acolyte
HP: 4 STR: 0 MAG: 5 SKL: 5 SPD: 5 LCK: 4 DEF:1 RES: 2
HP: 12 MT: 5 HIT: 7 AS: 5 AVO: 7 DEF: 1 RES: 2
Plain Dark Tome

0/1 corrupted dwarf recruit
HP: 5 STR: 6 MAG: 0 SKL: 5 SPD: 3 LCK: 2 DEF:3 RES: 2
HP: 15 MT: 6 HIT: 6 AS: 3 AVO: 4 DEF: 3 RES: 2
Plain Axe

0/1 Shade C (dark magic)
---------------------------------------------------------
0/2 Nightshade B (dark magic)
HP: 5 STR: 0 MAG: 6 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 2 DEF: 3 RES: 3

0/2 Hellhound B (WTN, physical)
HP: 5 STR: 6 MAG: 0 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 2 DEF: 3 RES: 3

0/1 Shade D

0/1 Direwolf C

*1/3 Corrupted Half-Elf Dark Flier* Team Leader (passive)
1/1 Corrupted Human Shaman (passive)
1/1 Gargoyle (passive)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1/1 Corrupted Human Myrm* Team Leader (passive)
1/1 Corrupted Human Monk (passive)
1/1 Dark Phoenix (passive)
1/1 Corrupted Dwarf Wyvern Rider (passive)
1/1 Corrupted Human Soldier (passive)
1/1 Corrupted Human Shaman (passive-erratic)
0/2 Hellhound A (passive-defensive)
0/1 Shade A (passive-aggressive)
0/1 Corrupted Human Journeyman (passive-aggressive)
0/2 Corrupted Human Recruit (Aggressive)
0/2 Nightshade A (defending, apprentice)
0/1 Corrupted Elf Apprentice (Aggressive)
0/1 Dirwolf A (Aggressive)
0/2 Corrupted Dwarf Riding Novice (Aggressive)
0/2 Corrupted Human Journeyman (Aggressive)
0/1 Direwolf B (Subvert)
0/1 Shade B (Subvert)
0/2 Corrupted Elf Acolyte (passive-aggressive)
0/2 Corrupted Human Acolyte (passive-aggressive)
0/1 Corrupted Dwarf Recruit (passive-aggressive)
0/1 Shade C (passive-aggressive)
0/2 Nightshade B (passive-subvert)
0/2 Hellhound B (passive-defensive)
0/1 Shade D (passive-subvert)
0/1 Direwolf C (passive-subvert)

Allied:

Sayina

1/1 Troubadour
Raw Stats: HP: 6 STR: 0 MAG: 11 SKL: 3 SPD: 8 LCK: 4 DEF: 1 RES: 8
Simplified Stats: HP: 18 MT: 11 HIT: 5(10) AS: 8 AVO: 10 DEF: 6 RES: 8

Weapons: Healing Staff C
Skill Tome C (Light)
Armor: Def Armor C
Skills:
-T1 Skill
-Combat Medic
-Sneak

Inventory: Vulnery

Rayil

0/1 Journeyman

Raw Stats: HP: 4 STR: 4 MAG: 0 SKL: 6 SPD: 6 LCK: 4 DEF: 1 RES: 1
Simplified Stats: HP: 12 MT: 4 HIT: 8 AS: 7 AVO: 9 DEF: 1 RES: 1

Weapons: Speed Sword C

Skills: Block

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle posts: 9

Objective: Defeat all enemies (15 points)
Bonus Objective: Complete main objective before NPCs achieve more than 4 kills (20 points)
Hint 1: Pay attention to behaviors
Hint 2: No seriously, don't hit passives right off the bat
Hint 3: For the bonus, remember that NPCs can have four kills. Focus on enemies you can take.
Player Phase 1
Edited by scorri

Already twitchy, Malachi nearly drops his bow when the corrupted approach, suppressing the desire to scream or to call for help. This was a time for action and courage, not to give in to base instincts... he was a warrior, and this was his job. He smoothly drew the longbow back and fired into the chest of one of the burlier corrupted... to his dismay, the man kept shambling forward, nearly heedless. "S-someone finish the bastard off!" snapped Malachi, trying and failing not to let the panic show in his voice.

0/2 Human Journeyman takes 9 damage.

The sight that Zeff was presented with could only been described as otherworldly. These, things, that the band had come across weren't even remotely human. His knees began to shake, and he could feel his heart sinking. The darkness masked their bodies, but their bright red eyes shined with a ghastly aura.

Memories emerged from within the recesses of Zeff's mind. Memories that hadn't been forgotten, but tucked away. Memories he wished weren't created. Blood...so much blood. Blood everywhere...

Any shred of rational thinking was lost to Zeff. Fear gripped his heart no longer, and he was instead consumed by a howling rage. "I'LL KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU! YOU BASTARD'S STOLE HER FROM ME! BURN IN HELL!" He was holding the hilt of his sword so strongly, that his knuckles had turned white. His face looked so twisted, that had the darkness not been concealing it, he would have looked equally as fearsome as the monsters that stood before him.

Without a moment's hesitation he rushed forward and locked his sights onto one of the feral beasts. He swung his sword wildly but each swing was dodged by the nimble creature. It was no surprise that when Zeff felt a sharp pain in his arm. He could feel the blood rushing out from his wound, dampening the cloth that surrounded it. Contrary to his actions in the previous battle, he was relishing the idea of wiping away the existence of every last vile creature that laid before him.

[spoiler=Battle]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4216207/

Zeff:
Hit: (6)+(1)-(7)=0

Epic M-m-m-m-miss!

Dire Wolf B:

Hit: (7)+(6)=13

Stupid accuracy.

Damage: (5)+(5)-(5)=5

Zeff has 10 HP

DWB has 12 HP

Edited by Vestige

A rush of terror and excitement welled up in Linn, as the horrors seemed to come out of nowhere. Monsters were real, and it was the discovery of a life time for her, but it could also mean the end of her life time if things went poorly. She wanted to scream, but she couldn't muster it, almost absentmindedly throwing a wind blade out instead of any other reaction. Good Gods, this is really happening, isn't it?!

5 Damage to shade B

Unfortunately for the stunned, amazed, and mostly flabbergasted mage, this creature seemed to have a grasp of magic itself, and a seemingly much better one!

6 damage to Linn

Edited by I have opinions

(if I screwed up my numbers, someone smack me)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4216276/

Raelyn roll the first:

2 + 8 + 2 (WTA) = 12 > 6 (hit)

5 + 2 - 2 = 5 damage

Enemy roll:

4 + 8 - 2 (WTD) = 10 = 10 (miss!)

Raelyn roll the second:

5 + 8 + 2 (WTA) = 15 > 6 (hit)

5 + 6 - 2 = 9 damage

Raelyn: 12/12

Journeyman: 0/18

The journeyman is from this group:

0/2 Corrupted Human Journeyman (Aggressive) (RIP)

0/1 Direwolf B (Subvert)

0/1 Shade B (Subvert)

---

Nice shooting, Malachi, Raelyn thought to herself. The horror was still on its feet, but it wasn't as steady as when it first appeared. Raelyn's first strike wasn't enough to fell it. She yelped as the creature brought its axe to bear, barely rolling out of the way in time. That was too close! Before her enemy could recover, she brought her sword down hard on its neck. She stifled a gasp as the thing's head flew clean off of its shoulders. The headless shell collapsed in front of her, no longer a threat to anyone.

I need to pay more attention to these things! At least they're easier to decapitate than a human.

Five points~!

Edited by eclipse

"Looks like w'don't have time fer introductions, 'ere." Aina snarled, as the strange manifestations appeared.

"C'mere, I'll keep m'off ye." She continued, grabbing Val by the arm and moving her away from the battlezone.

The sudden change in atmosphere took the mage by surprise. Luckily, most of the mercenaries responded quickly, particularly the sharp eyed archer. Unsure of what to attack in the heat of the moment, Caslan spotted the other elven mage in the group attack one of the dark magical beings among the enemies and getting hurt in the process. Knowing that as an elf, it was his place to fend off other magical foes with his innate resistance to magic.

Drawing magic from the puddles of water nearby, the mage unleashed a stream of water at the dark being. Unfortunately, the trust was too weak and the shade easily dodged it while unleashing a barrage of its own. Summoning all his strength, Caslan formed a barrier of water to ward off as much of the magical assault as he could, but the darkness proved stronger and ate past his barrier.

Seeing its rider assaulted, Joey nipped the elf's collar and dragged him further back from the battlefield. Sheesh, don't go dying on me foal, who's going to feed me and groom me when you're gone? Did you ever consider that?

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4216347/ 1,3,4,6,3,1 Caslan vs Shade B

Caslan missed

Shade B deals 6 damage to Caslan!

Caslan uses Stealth!(Actually, Joey :P)

Caslan 6/12

Shade B 7/12

They rounded a corner, and, of course, the enemy lied in wait. Except that they weren't human. They were monsters. Even the humanoids were purple-skinned and red-eyed, from what he could see in the poor lighting of dusk. Could they be the demons people told stories about? But that wasn't right, they died ages ago! This, this was madness!

Before he could panic further, the battle had began, and Jacob forced himself to focus on taking these things out. After a few of the mages shot at one of the shadow beings, with mixed results, the recruit decided to test his luck on it. His axe swing appeared to have chopped off a large chunk of the shade, but its' dark sphere sure stung, knocking him back a little.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4216356/

1,2,1 = autohit! 8-2 = 6 points of damage! Shade B 1/12 HP

3,1,5 = Hit! 6-1 = 5 points of damage! Jacob 10/15 HP

Jacob gains 1 point.

Aaand it was monsters, after all. That Xane fellow had some explaining to do, after this bout was done. Demonic nature aside, these things looked like relatively easy prey, for Andre, at least.

"Toqua, Adari, we'll circle around and catch the stronger ones from behind," he said, maintaining an even expression as he began to walk down a side alley. "If we can draw them off of the new swords, we'll reduce casualties dramatically."

All of a sudden, the sound of yelling and the clang of weapons clashing emerged, from the center of town. This whole place stunk of dark magic, so the mercenaries must've found the source of it- demons. Hale rounded a corner and found himself on one of the roads leading to the center of town. Ahead of him were two women - a blonde with an eyepatch and an older, brown-haired woman with an ornate mantle and an impressive amount of scars.

"You folk are with the mercenaries?," Hale asked them, once he was well within shouting distance. "Could you point me to where they're fighting?"

And so once again Ernce found himself in the heat of battle. Although this time it wasn't as much of a free-for-all; they had groups this time around so things would hopefully go smoother than the last one, what with two of their members nearly dying last time. The only problem was that instead of fighting humans they were fighting monsters, something he'd thought were long gone from the world, and unlike humans it was likely they had no self-preservation instinct. This was going to be tough.

He watched as several others ganged up on a single monster; taking particular notice of the counter it dealt Linn, and that the monster was barely alive. "Aeson if you get the chance heal Linn, I'll finish that... whatever it is!" Ernce shouted before he went after the monster. Unsurprisingly, his thrust impaled the weakened shade; however, much to his surprise the shade disintegrated into a puddle of ooze which he quickly stepped away from, fearing it may be harmful. Just what in the hell was that?

Ernce attacks Shade B and kills it dead.

+5 points

Edited by Oersted

Before Chandra could reply to Rimsky, the enemy appeared. Just as she feared, the demons were out in full force. Judging from the amount of corrupted humans present, the shaman had a pretty good idea of what happened to the villagers. She was not afraid of what came out of the shadows; most of them she had fought with before. Of course, there was usually only one or two, so the threat level was still high. Chandra was about to show these creatures what fear really was with her magic, but paused.

She took a look at her group. Raelyn had successfully decapitated one of the creatures, showing that she could handle her own. Jacob, however, was wounded and somewhat afraid of what he was facing. They had no need for more offense; these kids could handle themselves quite well. What they needed was support: someone to keep them standing, an adviser to tell them that there was nothing to fear. Putting away her tome, Chandra equipped her staff and approached Jacob. With a simple chant she recalled from her childhood in the abbey, the healing staff pulsated with magic...

Chandra heals Jacob for 6 MAG + 1 level = 7 HP.

Jacob: 15/15

+3 points

"You're doing great," Chandra said to Jacob, patting him on the shoulder. "Listen, I've fought these things before. As you can see, they can take grave wounds like that. If you aim for the limbs, they at least won't be able to attack back. Then you can finish them off."

Edited by Toogee

Unused to combat, Aeson wasn't quite sure where he needed to be. Making sure he was out of the others way, he watched carefully - both his allies and his enemy's movements. Demons were rather fearsome, although they seemed strange, like human but not human. Linn seemed to be a strange mix of terror and excitement. He could only watch in horror as she took a hit.

"Linn!" Aeson cried, hurrying towards her. "These monsters seem intent on ending us all, hopefully this will help."

Aeson heals Linn for 5 magic = 5 HP!

Linn: 9 -> 14HP

3 points!

Edited by Shin

Enemy Phase 1

The enemy did not take well to being attacked. One of the shamans raised a hand and pointed at the group. Yelling a command in an unknown language, he laughed as his shadow army moved in for the attack.

Aeson became the first target, as a direwolf ripped into him twice, leaving him standing, but bleeding heavily.

[spoiler=combat]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4217203/

autohits, does 1+dice

1+1=2 damage

1+3=4 damage

Total: 6 damage

Aeson: 9/15 HP

Next, Chandra found herself at the mercy of one of the other direwolves. She found herself bleeding, but standing still, as the direwolf circled, looking for more blood.

[spoiler=combat]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4217206/

autohits, does 4+dice

4+1=5 damage

7/12 HP

One of the lance users cruely laughed as he charged the sword user who had missed one of his companions previously. With a grin, the corrupted man impaled Zeff straight through the stomach, leaving him bleeding out on the ground.

[spoiler=combat]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4217208/

autohits, does 2+dice, crit

(2+3)*2=10 damage

Zeff: 0/15 HP

Finally, the dwarf bow user aimed carefully at the elf girl who'd attacked one of their number. With careful aim, he feathered the girl, leaving her bleeding but standing.

[spoiler=combat]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4217217/

(6+4-8)=hit

(6+4-2)=8 damage

Linn: 6/15 HP

NPC Phase

Sayina cursed under his breath as he saw Zeff fall. Riding over as quickly as he could, he knelt by the man. Muttering a prayer under his breath, he slowly chanted a complex healing spell under his breath, letting out a slight sigh of relief as he saw the man start to breathe easily again.

[spoiler=combat]

Sayina rez's Zeff!

Zeff: 11/15 HP

Rayil meanwhile cried out and charged the bow user who had attacked one of the newer members of their group. With two quick slashes, he brought the corrupted archer to his knees, barely alive, leaving Rayil trying to catch his breath, as black blood rolled down his sword.

[spoiler=combat]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4217220/

Rayil:

autohits

(4+5-3)=6 damage

Archer:

(6+2-9)=miss

Rayil:

autohits, crits

(4+3-3)*2=8 damage

Rayil: 12/12

Riding Novice: 1/15

Meanwhile, Adari cursed. Aiming carefully at the dark flier, she feathered his pegasus with two arrows. The half-elf's eyes burned fiercely, and he gestured at the nomad. A group of the demons broke off from the main group and started to chase after the nomad. With a grin, she called to Andre and Toqua, "Well? Let's get 'em." The three of them circled off away from the main group, followed by the group of demons.

1/1 Corrupted Dwarf Wyvern Rider (passive)
1/1 Corrupted Human Soldier (passive)
1/1 Corrupted Human Shaman (passive-erratic)
0/2 Hellhound A (passive-defensive)
0/1 Shade A (passive-aggressive)
0/1 Corrupted Human Journeyman (passive-aggressive)
0/2 Corrupted Human Recruit (Aggressive)
0/2 Nightshade A (defending, apprentice)
0/1 Corrupted Elf Apprentice (Aggressive)
0/1 Dirwolf A (Aggressive)
0/2 Corrupted Human Journeyman (Aggressive)
0/1 Direwolf B (Subvert)
0/1 Shade B (Subvert)
0/2 Corrupted Elf Acolyte (passive-aggressive)
0/2 Corrupted Human Acolyte (passive-aggressive)
0/1 Corrupted Dwarf Recruit (passive-aggressive)
0/1 Shade C (passive-aggressive)
0/2 Nightshade B (passive-subvert)
0/2 Hellhound B (passive-defensive)
0/1 Shade D (passive-subvert)
0/1 Direwolf C (passive-subvert)
Aeson 9/15
Alfonso 21/21
Linn 6/15
Ernce 15/15
--------------
Raelyn 12/12
Chandra 7/12
Jacob 15/15
Rimsky 21/21
--------------
Zeff 11/15
Leon 12/12
Caslan 6/12
Malachi 12/12

NPCs
Sayina 18/18
Rayil 12/12

Player Phase 2

Edited by scorri

Well that could've gone better," Ernce thought to himself when the demons retaliated rather fiercely, and surprisingly intelligently, considering that they weren't human. Ernce looked for an easy target and found it in the dwarven rider that had shot at Linn. He thrust for the monster, knowing he'd skewer it with ease and wasn't surprised when his lance found its way through the rider. Unlike his previous kill the monster remained as a corpse. Ernce figured it was the rider had originally been a dwarf and not a monster...

Ernce skewers Eleanor with ease and adds another to his kill count.

+5 points.

Alfonso looked in surprise as the enemy approached --he was right! Monster! Devils! Shadow assailants! Poor Linn was horrified, and it seemed the shaky morale was surrounding everyone.

"Accursed demons! You'll never get us!" Following his bravado, he offered a mental prayer to the Lord of Light, and hurried to aid Aeson, trying to shoo away the foul beast that was harrasing his comrade. "Aeson, stay by my side." He said, voice calming down. "Stay by my side. Your skills are more valuable than mine, I won't let them take you down."

Alfonso defends Aeson!
//doop
Edited by Xinnidy

The wolf had come out of nowhere, and Aeson was looking a little worse for wear. However, he could hardly think about himself, Linn was definitely less lively than she had been previously. Protected by the towering knight, he knew his duty only too well.

"Thank you, Alfonso, but your life is very valuable to me!" the priest reassured, not wanting to let his allies die. "Linn, hang in there, you can't perish here!"

Aeson heals Linn for 5HP

Linn 6 -> 11HP

3 points YEAH

Rimsky attacks Corrupted Human Recruit!

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4217449/

5,6,1 = Hit! 11-2 = 9 Points of damage!

Rimsky 21/21

Corrupted Human Recruit 6/15

Rimsky gains 1 point.

OOC: Leaving it to you, Marth, to do flavor.

"...Noted," Jacob said, as Chandra healed him and told the recruit to aim for the limbs. Wait, she had fought these monsters before? "You're going to have to tell me about those times, later, then," the man continued, as he looked for vulnerable targets.

"Oh, it'll be hard to mistake me for a monster. Thanks for the tip, however," Hale responded, as he continued on past the two mercs. It probably wouldn't be effective to join them from their rear, so he'd go by and catch the demons on their right side.

Malachi panicked when Zeff fell, only just regaining his composure when he returned from his dirt nap. "R-right!" he shouted, louder than necessary. "Die again, you bastards!"

He drew and fired, the arrow ripping through the possessed's neck and downing him. That... that at least brought some spirit back.

Auto-hit, auto-kill. Corrupted Human Recruit is dead. Running Points Tally: 6.

Before Chandra could reply to Jacob, a dire wolf had charged her. Her arm was locked into the beast's jaws as she yelped in pain. The beast eventually let go, as if waiting for Chandra to weaken further before striking again. The shaman had a pained look on her face, holding her wounded arm to her chest.

"Someone kill that one," she said in frustration, pointing her staff to the dire wolf.