Elibe character contest-Pent wins, now this thread is dead

shadykid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm the only person that LIKES that FE6 actually has so many annoying maps with siege magic, same turn reinforcements, status staves up the wazoo, speed capped enemies and the like. I mean, sure I haven't played FE4/5 and I'm still trundling on my H5 FE11 run but my first runs of FE6 NM and HM were considerably more demanding than 7 8 9 and quite honestly, 10 after Part 1. In my FE11 H5 run right now whilst I have nothing against it, succeeding more often feels like "how do I abuse X to win" than neccessarily saying "be careful but don't fuck around". I like the growth rates in 6 as well, they went up overall afterward in the series and most notably a lot of units after FE6 even as physicals actually get to have a res stat ( I dig that it's back to nonexistant in DSFE again ).

The game has plenty of problems though, mostly in shitty hirates and lol throne avoid, garbage units compared to others (although the latter is a common issue in many FE games...), but I'd have to say overall I like it a lot as a whole package. If the hitrates were better I'd probably like it more than 7.

Huh. Personally, my issues with FE6 were more the fact that the game is hard for all the wrong reasons (like crappy weapon accuracy, as well as boss killing in general being far more luck based than it has any right to be), and the maps don't help its case any. Another nitpick is that as enemies don't drop items, you're too reliant on stealing/chests/villages to get items. And while FE isn't exactly known for being balanced, I'd say FE6 is the most unbalanced title other than Genealogy of the Holy War.

Edited by Levant Fortner

I've seen someone (Who was on this thread) notice a problem that's in every FE game and use it as an excuse to hate Awakening. I mean, jeez, it's not the best in the series, but there's no reason to hate on it if anything related to it is mentioned.

that's unfortunate. i kind of want to know what that problem is.

for all the hate it gets on SF, I believe it was ranked second behind FE9 with rank all the Fire Emblem games thread. So even the idea that it's not in the upper tier is very arguable. There's also the whole universal acclaim on metacritic and all that other boring stuff.

Rally Priscilla!

Huh. Personally, my issues with FE6 were more the fact that the game is hard for all the wrong reasons (like crappy weapon accuracy, as well as boss killing in general being far more luck based than it has any right to be), and the maps don't help its case any. Another nitpick is that as enemies don't drop items, you're too reliant on stealing/chests/villages to get items. And while FE isn't exactly known for being balanced, I'd say FE6 is the most unbalanced title other than Genealogy of the Holy War.

Well hitrates are pretty awful yes but I wouldn't say that's exclusively what makes it more challenging (although thats easily the biggest reason I don't like the game more). There are just way more enemies and bosses who can actually be threatening (particularly Mercs or Myrmidons with godly speed on HM) along with less cleanly obvious points to choke enemies at (due to the wider nature of the maps). Effective weaponry actually doesn't suck compared to what it got nerfed to in the later games (luckily 3x came back). Combined with factors like I mentioned before, it results in a lot more things you kind of need to actually plan around instead of just...moving units up and hitting stuff (gross simplification but I hope you understand what I mean) which is what an awful lot of 78910 is. I don't mean to imply the game is massively more strategical or anything but just that I felt that it asked more of me without going into "instant kill all these enemies or you'll die to forged silvers". Also if we're talking unbalanced, I think FE10 is way more broke than 6...

Also, go Pent. RIP Miledy.

Edited by Irysa

Well hitrates are pretty awful yes but I wouldn't say that's exclusively what makes it more challenging (although thats easily the biggest reason I don't like the game more). There are just way more enemies and bosses who can actually be threatening (particularly Mercs or Myrmidons with godly speed on HM) along with less cleanly obvious points to choke enemies at (due to the wider nature of the maps). Effective weaponry actually doesn't suck compared to what it got nerfed to in the later games (luckily 3x came back). Combined with factors like I mentioned before, it results in a lot more things you kind of need to actually plan around instead of just...moving units up and hitting stuff (gross simplification but I hope you understand what I mean) which is what an awful lot of 78910 is. I don't mean to imply the game is massively more strategical or anything but just that I felt that it asked more of me without going into "instant kill all these enemies or you'll die to forged silvers".

Also, go Pent. RIP Miledy.

The thing is, FE6's difficulty leans largely towards frustration rather than legitimate challenge. Granted, it'd still be harder than the other GBA games even with better hit rates, but the fact that the hit rates are a part of why it's so hard still remains. It doesn't help FE6's case that the mechanics feel so unpolished, and FE7 and FE8 both did a lot of what it did better.

Edited by Levant Fortner

The thing is, FE6's difficulty leans largely towards frustration rather than legitimate challenge. Granted, it'd still be harder than the other GBA games even with better hit rates, but the fact that the hit rates are a part of why it's so hard still remains. It doesn't help FE6's case that the mechanics feel so unpolished, and FE7 and FE8 both did a lot of what it did better.

7 and 8 are mechanically sound and overall "better made" games but I wasn't trying to argue about which was the best GBA FE. I was only trying to make the point that I think 6 has its own merits WRT "6 is bad" "only good thing about 6 is the characters" etc. If anything I can probably credit FE6 HM to being the game that made me actually think about stuff a lot more in the series. Also, with the exception of bosses, hitrates become significantly easier to manage after Ch 4 (total nightmare), 5 and 7 (although its still awful for bosses but at the least they don't move and you have rescue and shit)

Other musings of stuff I like about 6: I think FE6 Marcus is the best designed jagen unit because he's incredibly helpful for a large part of the game without just roflstomping it easily, and has the capacity to feed exp to weaker units unlike later jagens who practically solo maps.

Edited by Irysa

7 and 8 are mechanically sound and overall "better made" games but I wasn't trying to argue about which was the best GBA FE. I was only trying to make the point that I think 6 has its own merits WRT "6 is bad" "only good thing about 6 is the characters" etc. If anything I can probably credit FE6 HM to being the game that made me actually think about stuff a lot more in the series. Also, with the exception of bosses, hitrates become significantly easier to manage after Ch 4 (total nightmare), 5 and 7 (although its still awful for bosses but at the least they don't move and you have rescue and shit)

Other musings of stuff I like about 6: I think FE6 Marcus is the best designed jagen unit because he's incredibly helpful for a large part of the game without just roflstomping it easily, and has the capacity to feed exp to weaker units unlike later jagens who practically solo maps.

I see. Though it's not like you can blame them for having such a lot of anti-FE6 sentiment. That being said, FE6 hard mode only made me realize just how bad the cast is (and the hard mode bonuses are another facet of just how unbalanced FE6 is) - aside from the units that get hard mode bonuses, pretty much everyone sucks, and that's not even getting into Wendy and Sophia. Which makes me all the more impressed that you're doing a run without said units. I do like some of the later map themes though.

Edited by Levant Fortner

I see. Though it's not like you can blame them for having such a lot of anti-FE6 sentiment. That being said, FE6 hard mode only made me realize just how bad the cast is (and the hard mode bonuses are another facet of just how unbalanced FE6 is) - aside from the units that get hard mode bonuses, pretty much everyone sucks, and that's not even getting into Wendy and Sophia. Which makes me all the more impressed that you're doing a run without said units. I do like some of the later map themes though.

I don't hold anything against people for not liking 6. Just feels that, like Shadow Dragon, people seem to love to hate it when it's still a solid game.

I would hope that my no HM bonus units run can prove that non HM bonus units aren't irredeemably bad though, even when "trying" to stay efficient/not grind (although they're still massively outclassed...it's pretty pathetic that with relatively decent levels, quick promoted units in Sue and Thany barely compared to Shin and Tate's HM bases). Admittedly Dieck is above average by like 6 levels, but everyone else is on par (I guess Thany has more def than usual). I mean honestly, I'm learning some new things at least, like Dieck's niches compared to Rutger. He fails to double some bosses and obviously has significantly less crit, but having some of the most accurate and powerful 1-2 has been quite useful in a few situations.

Edited by Irysa

Pent warps, owns stuff, one of the best sages in FE, silver hair before it was cool, one of the more recognizable faces of Blazing Sword, etc.

whoa don't be dissing Micaiah's hair like that

also I see we could have Jill and Miledy in a division final....LFF ahoy!