Pokemon X/Y General Thread

Quintessence

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have only one shiny pokemon and I'm actually fine with that. I don't actively hunt for shinies since I think they lose their special value that way. Part of the reason why I like my Drifblim so much is because he's the first on I've caught since I started playing.

And I don't use the Masuda Method :smug:

Oh right, my sixth shiny is Female Combee :awesome:

Damn, now I KNOW you just got really lucky. :P

I think my Lickilicky has a good nature though. It's the one that lowers speed but raises defense. And defense is its best stat while its speed is its worst. I don't know about IVs though, as I don't know how to check them.

Geez.

I've gotten 1 Shiny in X/Y.

A shiny Whismur from the wild in X.

All you youngsters and your fancy friend whatchamacallits and masuda methods

That was one of the first shinies I ever got (yaknow, besides Red Gyarados). It was in Ruby Version.

...It's now an Exploud ;D.

Well, I did the Battle Maison again because I need a Razor Fang for the Gligar I caught. I managed to improve my winning streak to 19 in Single Battle, but I couldn't beat Nita. I guess I still suck despite having took just about every bit of advice I was given on improving my team. Or maybe I didn't pick the right Pokemon. I don't know. But I doubt the Chatelaines' Pokemon stay the same every time. That would be too easy.

Guess I'm not going back after I finish getting any necessary items. I'll just never be good enough. Oh well. You don't get prize money after each battle anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

Damn, now I KNOW you just got really lucky. :P

I think my Lickilicky has a good nature though. It's the one that lowers speed but raises defense. And defense is its best stat while its speed is its worst. I don't know about IVs though, as I don't know how to check them.

Relaxed nature? Pretty good for Lickilicky, I haven't used Licky really serious but a Curse set might be pretty good for bulk and physical attacks like Earthquake, Gyro Ball, Body Slam, I dunno. EXPLOSION FOR DA LULZ

Yeah, perhaps, but I don't know if I'm going to seriously use it or not. I was thinking of trying it out in the Battle Maison, but seeing as I still couldn't do that well even with my regular team (who are stronger), that idea's gone out the window.

I've gotten three shinies abusing chain fishing (Horsea, Poliwhirl, and Magikarp). But I've been SUPER lucky and gotten them with only 20-30 long chains. I thought to myself, hey, maybe I should push my luck! and started going Masuda method for a shiny Ralts...haha...yeah this is painful.

My first real shiny was a Rattata in HG. I say 'real' because prior to having a 3DS I had a Game Boy Color, so I emulated all the GBA games to play 'em; in FireRed I managed a Shiny Growlithe, and hilariously enough on my restart I found a shiny Rattata.

Well, I did the Battle Maison again because I need a Razor Fang for the Gligar I caught. I managed to improve my winning streak to 19 in Single Battle, but I couldn't beat Nita. I guess I still suck despite having took just about every bit of advice I was given on improving my team. Or maybe I didn't pick the right Pokemon. I don't know. But I doubt the Chatelaines' Pokemon stay the same every time. That would be too easy.

Guess I'm not going back after I finish getting any necessary items. I'll just never be good enough. Oh well. You don't get prize money after each battle anyway.

Have you already went through Battle Test? Doing well in Battle Test gives you like...15 BP or something if you do well if I recall correctly, and it's only 5 trainers. First few run-throughs are fairly easy before it amps up in difficulty. That's how I got my Razor Fang when I started trying for the BP items.

Battle Test? I've never heard of this, where do I find it?

Also, I'm still waiting for someone to help me evolve my Haunter. And I can't believe how long it's taking my Victreebel and Ditto to make an egg... Ugh, even when my Pokemon pairs didn't get along, they've never taken this long. Speaking of which, they ALWAYS seem to not get along well. Why is this? >.>

Pokemon with different breeds but same trainer ID do not get along

same breeds same ID or different breed different ID get along (my foreign dittos work wonders here)

same breed different ID get along very well

Edited by Thor Odinson

Battle Test? I've never heard of this, where do I find it?

Battle Test is in the Northern section of Lumiose City, and it's the building directly to the left of Lumiose Station. It's pretty easy like the first three times and it acts like Battle Maison in that it offers a single and doubles mode and you can only take in 3/4 Poke's, but with only 5 trainers to go through. It really does amp up in difficulty quickly though; last time I tried it I ended up going against a guy in doubles that had 4 Legendaries, so it isn't a good replacement for Battle Maison.

Edited by Nihl

Pokemon with different breeds but same trainer ID do not get along

same breeds same ID or different breed different ID get along (my foreign dittos work wonders here)

same breed different ID get along very well

Well that's rather stupid, imo.

Battle Test is in the Northern section of Lumiose City, and it's the building directly to the left of Lumiose Station. It's pretty easy like the first three times and it acts like Battle Maison in that it offers a single and doubles mode and you can only take in 3/4 Poke's, but with only 5 trainers to go through. It really does amp up in difficulty quickly though; last time I tried it I ended up going against a guy in doubles that had 4 Legendaries, so it isn't a good replacement for Battle Maison.

Oh, I see. Geez, sounds like it really does amp up the difficulty.

@bolded: Actually, they do, although the order of the team changes. You could choose to interrupt your streak right before the leader, then switch to a different team.

@bolded: Actually, they do, although the order of the team changes. You could choose to interrupt your streak right before the leader, then switch to a different team.

Oh, interesting. And yeah, I forgot about being able to interrupt my streak. xP

I thought the first round of the Battle Test was supposed to be easy. Almost every trainer used fully evolved Pokemon with held items. :/ I only got 9 BP too, though that's probably because I lost one battle.

Well that's rather stupid, imo.

Text/storywise it doesn't make sense, but coding-wise and gameplay-wise it makes it more predictable and easier to replicate. I'm sure a lot of breeders would prefer to know exactly what they're dealing with, instead of relying on random variables. In a more randomised setting, sure, there's a chance that mons'll get a get along very well and breed quicker than bunnies, but I like the security of getting along when I breed my puff 1 with good ivs with puff 2 with good ivs and that I know they'll always get along. It's not a perfect system, but it reduces random variables and that's good enough for me.

I thought the first round of the Battle Test was supposed to be easy. Almost every trainer used fully evolved Pokemon with held items. :/ I only got 9 BP too, though that's probably because I lost one battle.

Aw, sorry about that. :C I don't recall it being too bad for me, though that might be because I abused Protean Greninja.

I wish you good luck with your Maison battles then! If you have any pairs in which you can abuse wide-attack moves (EQ, Surf), maybe try Doubles? I used to do that with my Heracross/Gyarados pair.

Text/storywise it doesn't make sense, but coding-wise and gameplay-wise it makes it more predictable and easier to replicate. I'm sure a lot of breeders would prefer to know exactly what they're dealing with, instead of relying on random variables. In a more randomised setting, sure, there's a chance that mons'll get a get along very well and breed quicker than bunnies, but I like the security of getting along when I breed my puff 1 with good ivs with puff 2 with good ivs and that I know they'll always get along. It's not a perfect system, but it reduces random variables and that's good enough for me.

I understand what you're saying, but I thought that it was based on Pokemon natures. Like one nature gets along best with certain other natures. You know what I mean?

Nihl: Unfortunately, none of my main team members can learn either of those moves, but I know other Pokemon I've got in my PC can. I'll look into that in the future.

Yeah, perhaps, but I don't know if I'm going to seriously use it or not. I was thinking of trying it out in the Battle Maison, but seeing as I still couldn't do that well even with my regular team (who are stronger), that idea's gone out the window.

What's your team, ana?

Also, regarding breeding I prefer going with the male/female breeding instead of Dittos. I know Dittos are multipurpose and all but Ditto has been really lame to me lol. But perhaps, I'll need them when breeding genderless pokes.

Btw, I've always thought Institute being easier than Maison

What's your team, ana?

I run a sun-based team for the most part.

Delphox

Item: Heat Rock

Moveset:

Flamethrower

Sunny Day

Fire Blast

Psychic

Bellossom (ability is Chlorophyll)

Item: Big Root

Moveset:

Solarbeam

Giga Drain

Stun Spore

Toxic

Sylveon (named Fauna and with a Calm nature to boot)

Item: Leftovers

Moveset:

Moonblast

Shadow Ball

Calm Mind

Draining Kiss

Pyroar (named Kiara)

Item: Shell Bell

Moveset:

Flamethrower

Dark Pulse

Overheat

Hyper Voice

Talonflame (no Galewings, I didn't know this existed at the time I trained it up)

Item: Sky Plate

Moveset:

Brave Bird

Fly

Flamethrower

Steel Wing

Aurorus

Item: Assault Vest

Moveset:

Freeze-Dry

Ancient Power

Flash Cannon

Thunderbolt

Many of these moves and items were suggested to me on Bulbagarden, the biggest Pokesite on the net. My Bellossom can outspeed just about anything and do a lot of damage with one-turn fast Solarbeams with the Sunny Day support. Add Stun Spore and it'll literally outspeed anything, I imagine. But I dunno what else I can do.

Edited by Anacybele