Who else thinks Dragonair should get an alternative evolution? /changes to Pokemon

Fruity Insanity

I mean, I don't dislike Dragonite... in fact, I like Dragonite. It's one of my favorite pseudo-legendaries.

But you have to admit, I don't think it's... fitting for Dragonair to evolve into Dragonite. I mean, c'mon, Dragonair isn't a freakin' bug. It doesn't have to go from long and worm-like to... butterfly.

Something like this, this, or this would've been so much better. I don't think those three, individually, make a good evolution, but maybe a combination or something.

I demand Game Freak to give us an alternative evolution that looks good and fits.

(But then again, the first three pseudos are like that... Dragonair -> Dragonite, Pupitar -> Tyranitar, and Shelgon -> Salamence... BUT STILL! ;~;)

On that matter, what other alternative evolutions do you guys want?

Or what other changes would you like Game Freak to make?

Edited by Fruit Ninja

Those actually look pretty cool and would get my vote. But Dragonite by itself isn't so bad either.

On the topic of weird evolution choices, ever since Gen 3 I have been super irrationally bugged over the fact that Bagon evolves into Shelgon which evolves into....Salamence??? I remember when I was first discovering these pokemon in my pokedex, I was super confused as to why Shelgon didn't evolve into Flygon. Random naming screwup is random. Still annoys me to this day....

I do agree - actually I didn't use Dratini because Dragonite looks so dumb (no offense), although Dragonair is awesome.

I like the idea of a winged serpent, the examples 1 and 3 look great.

Another one:

I don't like Haunter -> Gengar. I do like both Pokemon but the evolution just doesn't make sense to me.

@ Silver Lightning:

Get thee hence, Satan! Because of your signature I begin to doubt my decision to preorder Y.

Edited by Assurhaddon

@ Silver Lightning:

Get thee hence, Satan! Because of your signature I begin to doubt my decision to preorder Y.

Why??? I think they both look cool in the picture, even if admittedly I'm only getting X. Gotta be inclusive on my countdowns, y'know? XD

Another one:

I don't like Haunter -> Gengar. I do like both Pokemon but the evolution just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd say Gengar might've been Ghost/Dark due to its more shadow than gassy nature if he would've been a Gen 2 or higher mon.

Those actually look pretty cool and would get my vote. But Dragonite by itself isn't so bad either.

On the topic of weird evolution choices, ever since Gen 3 I have been super irrationally bugged over the fact that Bagon evolves into Shelgon which evolves into....Salamence??? I remember when I was first discovering these pokemon in my pokedex, I was super confused as to why Shelgon didn't evolve into Flygon. Random naming screwup is random. Still annoys me to this day....

Shelgon is pretty similar to Pupitar in that they both feel like cocoons towards the transformation in the final form. Salamence got wings, Tyranitar just got angry.

I'm not too picky on Dragonair/nite, other than I think the both Dratini and Dragonair could've been Water/Dragon instead of just mono Dragon. Among the weirdest evolutions might be Remoraid but even this thing has a bit of logic since they're based on firearms.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that alternate evolutions were brought in (outside of Eevee, that is) for Pokemon that already existed in a supposed final stage of evolution. (So, Golbat -> Crobat doesn't count, and neither does Clamperl. Heck, I'll throw out the Hitmons too.) Otherwise, Slowking, Bellossom, Politoed, Gallade, and Froslass wouldn't exist.

The precident is there, so it's technically feasible. Realistically? Probably not - you'd probably be more likely to see a Mega Dragonite that changed up how it looked than an entirely different means of evolution from Dragonair.

The precident is there, so it's technically feasible. Realistically? Probably not - you'd probably be more likely to see a Mega Dragonite that changed up how it looked than an entirely different means of evolution from Dragonair.

Mega-evolution would probably be perfect for this kind of thing, actually.

I can see where you're coming from xD

When I got my Dragonair to evolve into Dragonite in Pokemon Yellow, I was a bit disappointed at how it took a completely different path from its previous form's elegance. It's kind of unlikely that they'd change the evolution pattern but I do wish that Dragonite had a separate form for its female version. One that actually looked like it came from a Dragonair.