I'm on the last chapter in my vanilla-Lunatic playthrough. Let's Talk.

ConfidenceKBM

Vanilla meaning no dlc, no spotpass, no risen, and no abuse.

Have any of you ever beaten the game like this? Absolutely pure vanilla? It was difficult to get this far, but the last chapter seems impossible. A friend of mine is in the same position (he used the dlc, but vanilla otherwise) and he agrees.

I just have no idea how you could possibly beat it. Anyone who's done it, please share. Or if you wanna talk general strategy about the game or what characters to use or how to use them, I'd love to do that too. I like to think I'm pretty good at this game for getting this far on Lunatic XD

Beating vanilla Lunatic basically means focusing your resources into a small team. If you're having trouble on Endgame, it may mean that you spread EXP too thinly.

The nice thing is, Endgame isn't that difficult. Even with a half-ass team you can probably still two-turn the thing. If you have enough Rescue users, Olivia is still alive, and there's some pair where Chrom or Lucina can hit hard as the Support unit with a Lead unit a Brave weapon, you're probably OK.

My first run through Lunatic I had some trouble, but Nowi and Tiki basically carried me the rest of the way. Haven't had an issue since.

Yeah, brave weapon lead+one of the lords make Grima pretty cake. Don't try to last it out. break out all your rescue staves, poke a hole in Grima's guards and just go at it. Make sure the lord has their respective falchion, and if you need, pop a tonic or two to boost damage.

For my particular case I had Hero MU front (max mt forged brave axe) with an A rank with Paladin Lucina in the back with her Parallel Falchion. Morgan had rally spectrum so I used that.

I think Lucina actually missed a dual strike but that's what Olivia is for. I actually didn't plan out final too well and Olivia couldn't reach MU/Lucina, but she got to Sully and Sully was able to finish off Grima (I went for 1 turn instead of 2 turn, though). If you plan it out better than I did then you'd probably have to improvise a lot less if you miss a falchion hit.

On my run Sully was pretty much mvp. I decided I wanted to use her so I gave her all the renown stuff, and she repaid me with being blessed like crazy.

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Hmm I'll give it a shot. I think Chrom hits for 17 with exalted falchion but I have some energy drops I can throw at him. I'm surprised you guys even used Lucina. The only kid I could use was Severa, since she's Donnel's daughter and started out with crazy good stats.

I'd love to talk some more general stuff too. My biggest strategies were Donnel conquering the world, Miriel/Henry and Tharja/Libra killing the universe with nosferatu, and Gregor using vantage+wrath.

I didn't use Nowi. She gets recruited with 4+2 speed, I didn't know what to do with that.

Hey you didn't say no renown ;p

I mean it's generally assumed most people don't play Lunatic for their first run of Awakening ever so Renown is pretty fair game

Lucina is MU's daughter in mine, in which case she inherits veteran and ridiculous bases. Mine came out with something like 21 strength base. Also Chrom tends to suck a lot in my runs so Lucina is my go-to Falchion user.

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

I have done this with my ussual "JSND challenge run" restriction

Although I wondered where is the challenge past ch 1 - 4 because it only take like 2 days

Basically since you have Brave weapons AND +4 STR to the whole team, the last chapter become a total joke

Edited by JSND

As more and more people are realizing, stuff like Nosferatu isn't necessary if you use a small-ish team. In fact if you take advantage of reclassing first, staying unpromotion for as long as possible for the exp gain, easy Paralogues like Owain's, Kjelle's, skills like Veteran, special classes like Manakete with accelerated exp gain after reclassing, the children with their really high bases, etc, one could do full deployment every chapter and train a relatively large team as well. It certainly can be easier to use self-healing like Nosferatu/Sol and just 1-2 pairs, but is not necessary.

Endgame itself just relies on Falchion effective damage and Dual Strikes not proccing Pavise. There are other ways, but they're typically much less reliable, especially in no-grind Lunatic play.

i like your piercings

And yeah, I tried to do a no-grind vanilla run too, but I ended up distributing the exp between too many units, even though I was only using 4 units towards the end. Eventually I had to grind levels into Chrom just to have a better chance of finishing it. I'll try again sometime.

Whose piercings?

Agree with speedrun being kinda boring. Did no one else use Donnel? He's the Walhart of Ylisse as far as I'm concerned.

Also, this is a great response. I don't know why I've never posted here before. I like this place :D

Edited by ConfidenceKBM

Did no one else use Donnel? He's the Walhart of Ylisse as far as I'm concerned.

I've used Donnel. He's strong if you put the effort into him, but he's not worth the effort. If I'm going to baby someone in Lunatic, it'll be Nowi (pair with Gregor, feed tonics, train on forts).

Yours - the one on your eyebrow.

Reddit or okcupid? XD either way, thanks! I like it a lot too.

Also damn it all. I was hoping to be done with this game after this playthrough, but I'm definitely going to have to play again and use Nowi. Everybody is always talkin about her. What exactly do you guys do with her? I imagine that first dragonstone runs out pretty quick.

Reddit or okcupid? XD either way, thanks! I like it a lot too.

Also damn it all. I was hoping to be done with this game after this playthrough, but I'm definitely going to have to play again and use Nowi. Everybody is always talkin about her. What exactly do you guys do with her? I imagine that first dragonstone runs out pretty quick.

I occasionally browse reddit in my spare time. I have a lot of spare time. I saw you post in the FE subreddit then I kinda stalked your previous posts.

You could say I am bored at work.

N.O.W.I. doesn't need any special training, just feed her kills and let her amazing growths do the work. Reclass her back into Manakete against once she hits level 30 (for leveling speed purposes: Manakete has caps like a promoted unit, but levels like a tier 1 unit), and make sure that she always has a +SPD Pair-up partner (she's a little slow). The Dragonstone does run out, but you get another one from Gangrel in Ch11, and then they are buyable after Ch12. But you can get enough training before then, as long as you don't feed entire maps to her.

That's it. Once she gets going, stuff just tinks her. When Endgame arrives she can have 56 DEF or more, and 51+ RES. Donnel cannot even sniff that.

EDIT: Tiki is really good, too, if you don't want to put up with the early training of N.O.W.I. in Lunatic.

Edited by Interceptor

There's another thing. How do you deal with Tiki's recruitment chapter if you're doing a small army? or a chrom+mu focus? Unless the enemies with range are just retarded and don't attack tiki from range. I guess I just assumed they would.