Branched promotions should've existed for THIS game

Espinosa

Forget Sacred Stones; this is the one game that needs branched promotions.

Have a look at the Cavalier (F) -> Paladin (F) promotion bonuses:

HP +5

Str +1

Skl +3

Spd +8

Def +1

Res +6

Con +1

Mov +1

And of course there isn't any female Cavalier to turn into a speed demon with these bonuses. Now imagine if Wendy could go Paladin with the Knight Crest (since Great Knight doesn't exist; why not).

I also feel like Nomad Trooper Dieck and Wyvern Lord Thany/Tate (for way better Con I suppose). Mainly mounted Dieck with 8 move and bows - that would be some spectacularly walloping shit.

I don't know. I somewhat feel that branched promotion would have removed some of the uniqueness that some classes have. Nomadic Troopers especially since FE8's Ranger is basically the Nomadic Trooper with a different name.

Edited by Just call me Al

Holy geez, dat SPD promotional gain.

Wendy then would actually be worth the trouble to train.

Maybe not; but having maximum movement as well as high speed would surely make her usable after the same investment.

Female Merc -> Hero gains are also p huge (which explains Echidna's... "peculiar" base spread). I don't think you'd really want somebody like Fir to use axes, though. Not in this one game. On the other hand, Astohl or Chad going Swordmaster while retaining the ability to steal/lockpick sounds mint.

I guess Nomad!Dieck still has a huge problem nevertheless - he still has to wait for a 2nd Hero Crest, and his usage as an unpromoted unit drops noticeably after chapter 7 or so.

Promoting Wendy from a knight to a paladin would actually net her ten speed with the way promotion gains work in FE6, although it would also cause her to lose one point of defense. I doubt even that would make her worthwhile unless you could somehow promote her right away.

Actually it's more than that, considering FE6 promo gains are literally T2 bases - T1 bases...

Knight(F) -> Paladin(F): +7 HP, +2 Str, +3 Skl, +10 Spd, -1 Def, +5 Res, +4 Mov, +C Swords/E Axes

I think the numbers speak for themselves. Here are some other notable examples.

Knight(M) -> Paladin(M): +6 HP, +2 Str, +2 Skl, +7 Spd, -1 Def, +3 Res, -2 Con, +4 Mov, +1 Lance rank, +E Axes

Archer(M) -> Nomad Trooper(M): +3 HP, +3 Str, +3 Skl, +4 Spd, +3 Def, +3 Res, +1 Con, +3 Mov, +1 Bow rank, +E Swords

Archer(M) -> Nomad Trooper(M): +4 HP, +3 Str, +3 Skl, +3 Spd, +2 Def, +4 Res, +3 Mov, +1 Bow rank, +E Swords

Male knights aren't too bad either (considering they have above average Con the loss means little) and Wolt and Dorothy may as well have Sniper removed form their promotion options.

EDIT: And one more:

Fighter -> Hero(M): +2 HP, +1 Str, +7 Skl, +6 Spd, +6 Def, +2 Res, -1 Con, +1 Mov, +C Swords, -1 Axe rank

I don't know whether the axe rank drop would actually happen but either way +6 Spd/Def and auto Killing Edges is crazy and the Con drop means little when Lot and Ward have good Con anyway.

Edited by X-Naut

Knight(M) -> Paladin(M): +6 HP, +2 Str, +2 Skl, +7 Spd, -1 Def, +3 Res, -2 Con, +4 Mov, +1 Lance rank, +E Axes

This would Barth look like this as a 10/1 Paladin: 32 HP, 12.6 str, 8.25 skl, 12.2 spd, 13.4 def, 4.02 res, 2.02 luck. He can actually fight for the first Knight Crest with Noah and others that way. Nothing over the top though.

As for Dieck, he would actually *lose* defence and speed when going Nomad Trooper, so it's questionable whether you'd want to go that path for C bows, +2 strength and max movement. I think I would, abstaining from using Shin or Allen/Lance instead.