16-Bit Palette [for Paint.net?] [FE7]

Zerker

Hey, I'm going to draw two portraits from scratch and then hightail it out of hacking as I'm a fairly good artist, but I need the 16-bit palettes to work with. I already have the portrait template, so if someone would be as kind to provide me the palette I need to work with for FE7, I would appreciate it, preferably a palette file for Paint.net.

If you want to be legit about the colors you can just drag some FE7 portraits in and use the skin tones/hair colors you want from them (note that FE6/7 share a palette while 8 does not)

but yeah like Cam said, there's a color limit so make sure to count them at the end

Grab yourself a program called Usenti, get used to it, it's what I always use for palette work.
Basically the program allows you to edit the palette from the first screen, you don't need to open anything else cause it's all on sliders and there's a selection box too. The program's designed for spriting so it uses 0-31 instead of 0-255 or whatever, just in case you wanted to know that.

Next, take the 5 tones of skin from any prior mug. I don't recommend mixing FE8 tones with either of the other two GBA games cause it's messy and looks horrible. Keep uniformity.
After that, take the outline colour. There you go, the rest you can do what you will.

You can take previous colours from the existing mugs, if you can't find what you want exactly, then find the closest you can find to your desired colour and then edit it in Usenti until it's perfect.

You can also edit the skin tone though I suggest not messing with it too much or you'll lose the uniformity between your mugs.

At the end, make sure it's 16 colours, background tone inclusive. At this point if it's over you can either remove colours, or hit a menu function called "Requantize" which will reduce the palette to whatever number you enter into the box. Just hit 16 and bam.

I think the technical detail you're looking for is

Each portrait in the GBA Fire Emblem ROMs has their own palette. There is indeed a colour limit (15 + BG), but there is no requirement for using a specific set of colours.

In fact, you can always recolour the end result if you want to use colours that fit with the other portraits better, so just choose whatever colours you work best with and go from there.