I'm 100% convinced not localizing FE12 was some kind of marketing for FE13

Nobody

It's kind of obvious: They didn't release FE12 in the west because they knew it wouldn't sell that well, but the FE fanbase would make a lot of noise because of that, which would bring attention to FE13, which was exactly what happened in 2012. I remember that in that E3 people were like: "Reggie, won't you announce FE13? Where's FE13? Give me FE13!". It also made a lot of people think "this game must be quite cool, many people are claiming for it". Of course it wasn't the only reason for awakening success, but i think it certainly helped to give the game at least some visibility. It also made the fans rush to buy it, fearing either cancellation or the series becoming japan-exclusive.

Edited by Nobody

nah its because they knew its sales would be too low to pay the five-man localization team

also Nint wanted to de-emphasize DS because they didn't want a PS3 scenario where a console predecessor outsells the next-gen console for a year after release

they released pokemon BW2, that sold 10 times more than the best selling Fire emblem, in 2012. I doubt that's the reason they didn't release FE12 in 2011

Edited by Nobody

they released pokemon BW2, that sells 12 times more than Fire emblem, in 2012. I doubt that's the reason they didn't release FE12 in 2011

because you can't not release pokemon

its just a jigganaut, the jay-z of the games industry

and if jay z says "yo dawgs im releasing an album in summer" nobody's telling jay z "uh wait until the seasons better j"

Edited by General Banzai

because you can't not release pokemon

its just a jigganaut, the jay-z of the games industry

and if jay z says "yo dawgs im releasing an album in summer" nobody's telling jay z "uh wait until the seasons better j"

my point was that FE12 being released on the DS in 2011 wouldn't affect the 3ds.

While I don't necessarily agree, I suppose it's possible.

It certainly makes more sense than Capcom skipping Investigations 2 and then relegating the brand new Ace Attorney 5 to digital only in the West.

Also, I think the point is 3DS software can only be played on the 3DS, while DS software can be played on the DS too--which means another excuse for DS owners not to upgrade.

Thinking back, FE8 was in a healthier sitation--it was released on the GBA when the DS was out, but still managed to make its way here.

I don't know. Maybe it's not a coincidence that New Mystery wasn't the only RPG that NoA didn't have any interest for.

Considering their hesitation to bring over Xenoblade and the other Operation Rainfall games despite an English localization not only already existing but the Wii having been in desperate need for new software until the release of the Wii U.

It certainly makes more sense than Capcom skipping Investigations 2 and then relegating the brand new Ace Attorney 5 to digital only in the West.

The original Investigations didn't sell well outside Japan (considering that it's a spin-off of a niche franchise, it's not all that surprising) , so I would think that not releasing it internationally would make sense for financial reasons.