I bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on impulse...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L + R buttons are pretty important. Not essential, but important. CPP is to aid with the camera since the default camera buttons is the D pad on the touch screen wut

CPP also gives you some L + R buttons so yeah, in your position I'd get one

L + R buttons are pretty important. Not essential, but important. CPP is to aid with the camera since the default camera buttons is the D pad on the touch screen wut

CPP also gives you some L + R buttons so yeah, in your position I'd get one

But that's another 20 bucks. ;~;

Yeah, I got Kid Icarus: Uprising, too, so I'd better get one.

Monster Hunter is a great franchise and I'm patiently waiting for MH4 to be announced for the west. I NEED IT

If you have local friends who have it as well you can hunt monsters together. The game doesn't have wifi but MH4 does HYPE

Monster Hunter is a great franchise and I'm patiently waiting for MH4 to be announced for the west. I NEED IT

If you have local friends who have it as well you can hunt monsters together. The game doesn't have wifi but MH4 does HYPE

I just wanted MH4 because I could slay monsters as Link, lol.

There is no best weapon class. Every weapon class has its pros and cons. I've never used a bow but if you want to go for it. There are in-game tutorials which explain each weapon class to you

Speaking of which, which is the best class to use?

Bow looks the most fun to use.

I like far-ranged weapons.

But the guns look weird and out-of-place, so bows...

The best thing to do is to work on all the weapons at varying times so that you can die frequently and horribly because you lack sufficient skill in a single armament impress the ladies or gentlemen with your versatility.

The weapons basically lie on a spectrum, and how you will play will determine your primary weapon type - or vice-versa.

The Sword and Shield (hereby SnS) and Dual Swords (DS, if I'm not mistaken) will be the go to weapon if you want to make quick strikes at every opportunity you can. Their reach suffers immensely which will bite you when you try to cut tails on something like a Rathalos or Rathian without some practice. Each hit is weak, so you'll need to stick close and keep the pressure on as much as you can. The advantage of a small reach is you are less likely to knock over other hunters, and thanks to the application of "Death of a Thousand Cuts" any hit to your allies will only trip them, rather than throw them a few feet with a hammer shockwave. These quick striking weapons are also good for applying status effects and they can be geared towards affinity - that is, critical chance.

• The SnS is more defensive, its shield can save you in situations where you cannot dodge in time. The shield also allows for dealing blunt damage - which results in Stamina loss or K.O. damage if it's applied to the head. Unless you're fighting an early game monster, don't try to use the shield on its own to K.O. a monster - if you're online, use it to compliment the job being done by a hammer user.
  • The Dual Swords removes your defensive option for a more aggressive flurry of strikes. Because of there being two blades, you would occasionally find gimmick swords in earlier titles where each sword had a different elemental damage. I'm not sure if they return in MH3U. Dual Swords can be quite deadly if you want to play a dangerous game of basically "Gluing" yourself to the monster.

The Hammer and Hunting Horn (HH) are your primary source of K.O. and Blunt damage in a team or with single player. Blunt damage causes either Stamina damage - monsters do have a stamina meter and they become tired when it is depleted - or Stun Damage - that's when the monster stops moving and there are several stars circling its head. You can tell if you're dealing stun damage by the large yellow effect which surrounds your attacks. The resulting stun and stamina damage is influenced by your Sharpness and whether or not the attack was a critical. Blunt damage and Cutting damage are calculated differently depending on the body "zone" of a creature, so that may factor into weapon choice later on. Blunt damage will, unsurprisingly, not do well for cutting off tails. Neither of these weapons have a defensive stance, so your primary defense will be rolling.

• The hammer in MH3U is better for bursts of damage and for K.O. damage. The golf-swing combo and the superpound will be your primary damage dealing with a hammer, while the spinning attack will find occasional use for applying a status. There isn't a very big list of attacks for the hammer, so you can always be precise without having to go through a long combo to get the swing you need.
  • The HH used to be far inferior to the Hammer in terms of damage, but a recent damage formula change has actually put it ahead in terms of sustained damage. The big gimmick to the HH is its group support ability - increasing the damage dealt by 3 other aggressive players and yourself is a big boon, especially when in tandem with a knocked out or trapped monster. The HH has a larger combo and swing variety and a slightly longer reach.

. . . This could actually go on for hours. I really need to get some experience with ranged weapons.

Hmmm I only just came across octaneblue's stuff a few days ago =o Then... would that mean you recommend them? Because I'm considering watching the videos now~!

(Poor Jaggi, rest in peace and pieces ;u;)

Hmmm I only just came across octaneblue's stuff a few days ago =o Then... would that mean you recommend them? Because I'm considering watching the videos now~!

(Poor Jaggi, rest in peace and pieces ;u;)

They can be fun to watch but the videos can reach up to over an hour

He's doing a collaboration of best bits and putting them into videos, which you might prefer if you don't fancy watching very long videos