Is anyone else bothered by this?

IceBrand

Yeah, it bothers me. This has always bothered me in every Fire Emblem game. Chrom is the first and only to get proper inversion (ie. two different portraits). To think I had my hopes up when I first noticed this before the game was released in Japan...

It's very common. Donny and Vaike also have scars that switch sides and, perhaps the best visibly, Basilio's eyepatch.

Most aversions to it are those who have symmetrical designs (actually a large majority of the cast). Chrom's the only one with two different portraits, likely because of the mark and him being a main lord.

The things you ppl notice...>_>. I guess it's another reason to hate awakening so it's good.

The rest of the series is worse for this. -_-

The fact that Chrom actually doesn't do this is a notable improvement, even if it's only Chrom.

The rest of the series is worse for this. -_-

The fact that Chrom actually doesn't do this is a notable improvement, even if it's only Chrom.

Hopefully in future FE's every character will have two different sprites.

Edited by AllAroundGamer9

Yeah, it bothers me. This has always bothered me in every Fire Emblem game. Chrom is the first and only to get proper inversion (ie. two different portraits). To think I had my hopes up when I first noticed this before the game was released in Japan...

...Nergal actually got properly inverted mugs for his eye.

Though otherwise, yes. Basiliooooooooooooooooooooo

-insert any other particularly asymmetrical character here-

Edited by L95

It does bother me, but not enough to lessen my enjoyment of the game. I hope for the next FE game IS gives everyone two portraits depending on whether they are facing left or right.

Not everyone needs one though. A lot of characters are symmetrical as well, like Kellam, Say'ri or Tharja. Several more have only negligible differences if you just flip the sprite like Maribelle, whose hair briefly flicks in the opposite direction.

I'd still like unique sprites for the few ones that really need it. Its mostly for the painfully obvious differences, like Virion's arm guard, as even stuff like Basilio's eyepatch can go unnoticed.

Not everyone needs one though. A lot of characters are symmetrical as well, like Kellam, Say'ri or Tharja. Several more have only negligible differences if you just flip the sprite like Maribelle, whose hair briefly flicks in the opposite direction.

I'd still like unique sprites for the few ones that really need it. Its mostly for the painfully obvious differences, like Virion's arm guard, as even stuff like Basilio's eyepatch can go unnoticed.

...I'd argue about the eyepatch. It was rather obvious that his covered/missing/bad eye kept switching.

...Also, Virion has an arm guard?

Edited by Kat

...I'd argue about the eyepatch. It was rather obvious that his covered/missing/bad eye kept switching.

...Also, Virion has an arm guard?

300px-Virion_%28FE13_Artwork%29.png his left arm is "armoured" while his right isn't. I'm presuming that's what he meant

Edited by DodgeDusk

...Nergal actually got properly inverted mugs for his eye.

Though otherwise, yes. Basiliooooooooooooooooooooo

-insert any other particularly asymmetrical character here-

...Now that you've mentioned it I seem to recall this. Whoops, I goofed.

Speaking of Basilio, his confession CG is backwards. >_> What the hell, IS. Proof the eyepatch is just for appearance!

theory: both of Basilio's eyes are actually perfectly fine and what we're seeing in the game with his eyepatch constantly sprite-flipping is exactly what he's really doing: constantly swapping it between his eyes to fuck with everyone else's heads, so nobody's entirely sure which eye is "supposed" to be his injured one

(not being serious here but damn i'd kill for this to be the case)

Edited by bookofholsety

Didn't notice it.

I would guess it's just something you adapt too. Like the fact that people supposedly talking to each other despite looking at the screen or the absence of any kind of animation, including the mouth.