FE8 Efficiency Redux Redux

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play both when I feel like it, there isn't that much of a difference imo since in both scenarios you rely on basically two face buttons and 4 directions. I like my pad for the Tellius FE's more because I tend to actually sit back on my bed and emu native them to high resolution + fullscreen, wheras handheld/old ones don't look as good if you do that.

what do you mean by that?

this, too, i suspect, is predictable. the game has to use a certain number of RNs at the beginning of every map to generate enemy stats and sometimes move units across the map.

This is most certainly predictable, you can see my FE6 run 14x uses a suspend > restart to get a favourable RN string for the boss to roll low on defence (this always happens if you fresh load 14x and suspend -> restart). Everything in GBAFE is 100% replicable on handheld a if you preform all the exact moves, including suspend restarts, since the RN string will always start at the same place.

I thought the RNs were unpredictable in their progression when doing the same exact path traces?

Nah, definitely not.

Edited by Irysa

Depends on the movement. Even if you draw a diagonal path carefully (ie press up, right, up, right, up, right instead of up-right, up-right, up-right), you can still burn RNs if the path drawn is forced to change due to terrain such as a forest. In that sense, straight movement is the only 100% safe move in terms of not burning RNs if you don't know what you're doing.

When the game needs to redraw the movement arrow it uses the next few #s from the list to determine how to redraw the arrow. It doesn't just randomly use #s. Thats why path tracing is 100% reproduceable as long as you do the same exact movements.

The reason that "wobbling" at full movement uses a different amount of #s each time is because some redraws take only a couple #s (2-3) and others take alot (5+).

Hows the shoulder, Horace?

I'll have a sling for 3 months, but it could have been a lot worse so i'm not complaining.

I don't think i'll have time to upload any more this weekend, have some family coming in to town for the weekend. So maybe next week? I have no idea.

What I mean is, when path tracing, one same movement could lead to a different (random?) change in the RNs each time. I recall reading this somewhere here besides experiencing the same on my own.

the only circumstance in which i think this is possible is if you move a unit diagonally by mashing and holding two directional arrows at once. sometimes the game uses RNs for every 2 tiles traversed and sometimes it doesn't need to. i suspect it has to do with the input timing, but this is as close to random RN advancing as you can get.

Edited by dondon151

i had some free time this weekend so i toyed around with chapter 12 a bit, and Artur gets to B staves with his first barrier use in chapter 13, which is kind of a relief, since I was kind of worried that he'd be worse off. Looking at my old run, Saleh only hit B halfway through chapter 14, so even with less turns pretty much everywhere, I should be able to make it. I'm kind of worried about Saleh reaching A staves, but with enough mend and barrier spam I should make it.

I'll need to hit the secret shop in 6 turns to get Saleh to A (eventually) but I think it's doable.

With multiple 8 move mounts, 6 turns is definitely possible with the SS visited. With Physic spamming, 2 uses of hammerene and 2 uses of Rescue, Saleh should hit A-staves for Chp 20.

Getting him 10 points of MAG seems like the hard part to me.

honestly he just needs to get magic every level, and moulder *might* not need all the energy rings

he can get quite a few bosskills and hammerne and rescue give a lot of exp to get enough levels. I think its doable.

Edited by General Horace