FE8 Efficiency Redux Redux

i'm also a fast talker but i think i've gotten better at slowing down

one thing that i didn't do for FE7 that i will almost surely try to do for FE6 is to coordinate talking points with things that happen in the video.

don't forget FE5!

that's still a thing...right?

Do it! I loved watching dondon's fe7 commentary videos, I'm sad that he never finished doing putting commentary on them all.

Yeah, they're great. I wouldn't mind seeing commentary on the later chapters, but some of them are so looooooooooooooong, so I can understand why he'd be reluctant to work on those. I'd really like to see CoD though.

Edited by Refa

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I don't share the enthusiasm about shortening enemy phases either. Now you're impatient to watch them without being sped up, tomorrow you'll be more impatient and not watch them anyway even at 3x speed (2x speed-up is built into the embedded players on the forums if you really want it, coincidentally).

For me, this is today.

turns out I suck at counting squares, I can 3 turn chapter 9 with help from one killing edge hit on the myrmidon from Joshua.

probably won't get anything uploaded until I stop being sick though. or the weekend because it's the weekend. then i'll probably still be sick on monday due to the weekend.

But I doubt people are waiting for chapters 1-7 anyway, it doesn't really get interesting till chapter 8.

EDIT: Also added a current tc's spoiler in the OP.

Edited by General Horace

The turncounts are absolute minimums assuming the Whip was gotten. I was going to do a run like this eventually but now I dont think there will be a point to do it.

How much luck did Eirika need in the throne room on Chp 8?

And how is Artur doing with gaining Exp?

The turncounts are absolute minimums assuming the Whip was gotten. I was going to do a run like this eventually but now I dont think there will be a point to do it.

How much luck did Eirika need in the throne room on Chp 8?

And how is Artur doing with gaining Exp?

i'd be lying if I said artur is having a good time

he's like 8.2something IIRC after chapter 9, which isn't horrible I guess, and I might be able to get him up to promotion in time for chapter 11 in chapter 10 rescue dropping him down south, I haven't checked if he orko's anything yet. He'll promote mid chapter 10 at worst. I think he's "luckily" got magic on every level thus far too.

Eirika had enough durability to eat one hit from Tirado if she was at full health, and worst case scenerio was rig a double crit if she wasn't healthy on turn 4 player phase, (she faces 3 instances of ~55 hit the turn before) but fortunately she was the best and dodged everything, so only one crit in 4 attacks was needed to kill Tirado. Its still very unreliable since she needs to dodge tirado once and then if she gets hit, the mages as well, but the mages have 45ish hit on her and Tirado had like 68 or so, but c'est la vie.

also some of the enemy stat variance is actually huge, some fighters in chapter 9 can have anywhere from 27-32 hp, and 3-6 defence.

Edited by General Horace

The amount and quality of Artur level-ups is pretty much decisive for faster midgame clears. Dude needs to be able to actually fight (i.e. face crowds of enemies with a good enough chance to not die) in order to hit 26 mag prior to C16, even with all three rings. Sage Artur is also sort of in a rush to get to A staves, especially with a late promo and 'tighter' turn counts (e.g. 5 turns in C12, 1-turning Aias, 6-turning C14 - think carefully if you want Tana promoted). I hope you haven't been neglecting Moulder either, because aside from near 100% mag level-ups he also needs to either reach promo before C16 or take one of Artur's rings (meaning Artur should be fighting more often midgame).

Artur only needs 24 magic for chapter 16, you can rescue-chain him up to warp Eirika after Moulder warps her ahead a bit to warp her again,

So he'll be a bishop for the extra magic gain on promo, and the extra staffrank. Also slayer helps him do stuff in chapter 12 anyway.

I'm hoping Moulder can promote for the desert at the latest and kill the pegasi or something. He'll probably need one ring still.

Enemy stat variance is why I always restart the Chapters before attempting them. That way its always consistent on each playthrough.

@ Epinosa - Horace is going with Bishop!Artur because Chp 16 can be 1 turned with 24 MAG as long as the 2nd warper has 14 MAG. Horace will need to get Saleh to 26 MAG for Chp 20 which shouldnt be too hard. Saleh will just need at least 2 rings, and Moulder is going to need to promote for Chp 16.
How is the Boulder doing for Exp? Will he reach LV 10 on time? Remember, he needs to gain MAG on every LV.

Honestly I think Moulder will have to eat the energy rings because I don't think he'll hit promo on time. Saleh just needs 9 levels which is definately manageable for the 26 magic. He's 5.13 after chapter 9. But as long as he hits level 8 before chapter 16, he should be fine. There's just so little exp in a run like this for healers :(

Edited by General Horace

I have a lot of free time tomorrow so expect a mass upload hopefully. Chapter 10 was unfourtunately really riggy as I thought the archers would prioritize Vanessa over Eirika, allowing her to hit A lances and just Silver Lance Pablo, but instead I had to rig a crit, which was unfourtunate. On the plus side, Artur hit level 10, and will start chapter 11 promoted.

http://youtu.be/00Ip9HR1JWc

man i should plan commentary in the future rather than just winging it so i don't stutter >.>

anyway there's the prologue, i'm working on the other chapters as we speak

i'll upload the following chapters in higher quality, i must have derped when uploading this one

Edited by General Horace

You mention Eirika needing HP/def to take a hit from the final boss; how realistic is that? She received a higher amount of enemy exposure than usual on my girls only run and was still OHKO'd (because no robes/dracos were given to her). I guess in a Sethskip the robes/dracos have less value since the main units have no need for them (Vanessa does though, as does Saleh probably, and Artur probably too).

The arrangement of staffspam you've planned seems confusing to me - with 3 Energy Rings, you need to give at least one to Moulder (maybe not if he promotes, idk), and Artur getting to 24 mag before chapter 16 can't be as easy as you say if you don't give him a single ring, and then you'll need Saleh to get 10 magic level-ups (or less + a ring) until chapter 20 and you even want to have him function as a warper for the game's last rout chapter which means he'll need to have staffspammed quite a bit until then. I'm probably underestimating the difficulty of training Artur in a game where you're hard-pressed to raise Franz and Vanessa to promotion, though.

You mention Eirika needing HP/def to take a hit from the final boss; how realistic is that? She received a higher amount of enemy exposure than usual on my girls only run and was still OHKO'd (because no robes/dracos were given to her). I guess in a Sethskip the robes/dracos have less value since the main units have no need for them (Vanessa does though, as does Saleh probably, and Artur probably too).

The arrangement of staffspam you've planned seems confusing to me - with 3 Energy Rings, you need to give at least one to Moulder (maybe not if he promotes, idk), and Artur getting to 24 mag before chapter 16 can't be as easy as you say if you don't give him a single ring, and then you'll need Saleh to get 10 magic level-ups (or less + a ring) until chapter 20 and you even want to have him function as a warper for the game's last rout chapter which means he'll need to have staffspammed quite a bit until then. I'm probably underestimating the difficulty of training Artur in a game where you're hard-pressed to raise Franz and Vanessa to promotion, though.

Eirika needs a combined 51 HP/DEF now that I look at it, it might be an unreasonable assumption. I'll have the chapter 9 robe which nobody needs, Vanessa already took the Chapter 8 one. I'll see how it goes, she's sitting at 31 HP/DEF as of chapter 11, and gets 7 more total from promotion, so it's not entirely unreasonable I don't think. She's very close to level 10 now, and she'll probably help a bit in chapter 12 as well, so maybe she gets to level 13 or so before promo, and gets some egg kills to push her over the limit.

Artur is sitting on 16 magic right now in chapter 11, so I think he'll be ok. I'm honestly hoping he gets 8 levels between now and chapter 16 so he doesn't take any rings, but we'll see how that goes. I think i'll be ok.

Speaking of chapter 11, I'm pulling my hairs out trying to three turn it. I THINK its possible, because Vanessa can solo the south portion and kill the zombies in the room that Innes usually kills with the longbow, but Artur is the only person who can ORKO the boss, and its a PAIN ferrying him over there, and I'm honestly not too sure if he even moves on the turn 3 enemy phase.

so if I open the door to the south by the deathgoyle it will move, but otherwise it won't and I only have one door key, so I need to find a way to get artur REALLY far ahead so he can unlock staff, which I think is still possible

I always forget the Deathgoyle isn't the boss, he's way tougher than the Wight

so if I open the door to the south by the deathgoyle it will move, but otherwise it won't and I only have one door key, so I need to find a way to get artur REALLY far ahead so he can unlock staff, which I think is still possible

I always forget the Deathgoyle isn't the boss, he's way tougher than the Wight

Yeah haha. I tend to switch their roles too. There's an AREA event that triggers the AI of a door key skeleton to open the door and changes the AI of the enemies there to aggro. See if you can reach that area in Turn 2 somehow. (since the Door Key skeleton wouldnt die in EP 3). I think you could also try the right path of the map if all else fails.

if i go down the right side, the skeleton with the door key decides that opening the door is a good idea on turn three instead, so that won't work. If I can figure out how far ahead I need to get to trigger the door opening though, that would be grate.

i'll test things out later today, first priority is getting the other videos done