Weird friendship/happiness-based evolution issue?

Thor Odinson

I'm breeding a couple of igglybuffs in XY, and I selected 3 to evolve so I can breed them further. I used one of my ingame team members to repeatedly battle wild pokemon on victory road with Exp Share on to get them levels so their frienship will increase, and for one of them I took to the massage place to get a massage. They started receiving exp at the same time, so all three have the same exact amount of exp and are identical in treatment other than the one massage that one has gotten.

Come level 21 the two who didn't get massages evolved into Jigglypuffs. They are now level 25, and the one that got a massage still didn't evolve. I don't know what's going on? Isn't a massage supposed to help?

I'm breeding a couple of igglybuffs in XY, and I selected 3 to evolve so I can breed them further. I used one of my ingame team members to repeatedly battle wild pokemon on victory road with Exp Share on to get them levels so their frienship will increase, and for one of them I took to the massage place to get a massage. They started receiving exp at the same time, so all three have the same exact amount of exp and are identical in treatment other than the one massage that one has gotten.

Come level 21 the two who didn't get massages evolved into Jigglypuffs. They are now level 25, and the one that got a massage still didn't evolve. I don't know what's going on? Isn't a massage supposed to help?

Read this.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

That's not exactly helpful considering that's what I was referencing the whole time in the first place and I know the parameters of what I'm doing

Tonton gave me some tips in the other thread so I'm going to test that out when I get home tonight.

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Happiness is a lot more than just one massage, using pokemon amie is probably the easiest method to happiness now.

I'm guessing you never got an umbreon/espeon/crobat/etc in gen2/5 the natural way before?

There are a few other things as well, such as using the protein/iron/calcium type items, and rare candies as well. The soothe bell helps, as well as just leaving the pokemon in the first slot of your team. There's some friendship rater in X/Y but I have no idea where he is, so you could use return to judge the happiness values.

Edited by Kitty of Time

I'm aware that it's a lot more than one massage. I usually just go for the give them a bajillion levels way because I can eliminate variables that way, and one massage is the only known difference in the three igglybuff's happiness level.

Okay. I'll be clearer about my process. These igglybuffs are boxed since birth after I take them to the IV judge, and I selected them because they're the ones with 4 31 IVs. They do not get fed anything or do anything that increases/decreases their happiness.

I take out the selected puffs and just straight up level them using exp share in the back of a lv 75 team veteran lead, all three of them has never entered battle and gets shared exp and thus could not have fainted. As it's XY, exp share gives all of them exp instead of just one puff, giving them the same exact exp package and levels.

At level 20 I get a bit impatient, so I decided to do some other things. I go to bulba and looked up that massage was a thing to increase happiness, so I gave one of my puffs one. Was gonna give it to the others because equal treatment etc but it's once a day, so I went back to levelling.

At 21, The two who did not get the massage evolved. The one who did, did not, and still did not even 4 levels later, whereas gaining levels is an act that increases happiness.

I did not feed them items or use amie since those are harder to gauge and control.

look i'm a goddamn statistician I know how to control my variables

Okay, you pretty much ignored everything I just said lol.

There are a few other things as well, such as using the protein/iron/calcium type items, and rare candies as well. The soothe bell helps, as well as just leaving the pokemon in the first slot of your team.

The name of the game with happiness is patience, sorry.

Edited by Kitty of Time

I ignored it because you didn't understand what I'm trying to say. There are igglybuffs that have ALREADY EVOLVED using the same exact parameters I gave to the one that refused to evolve. They are trained at exactly the same time.

Therefore the amount of happiness that I gave to the puff should evolve because it is sufficient to allow the other two puffs, who received the same amount of happiness, to evolve (keyword: THEY EVOLVED). Unless pokemon is inconsistent with the evolve happiness value (which it shouldn't be, bulba cites it at 220), it should have, especially considering the other two puffs evolved at the same time.

Happiness is a lot more than just one massage, using pokemon amie is probably the easiest method to happiness now.

Actually I tried using Pokemon Amie to evolve my Riolu but its happiness did not go up (Checked in the Pokemon club in that one town that I can't remember the name of). Also it didn't increase the rate of happiness growth. Just gave some perks like higher crit rates and higher evasion. This was all during the day too (Riolu only evolves during the day) so I made no mistakes.

Actually I tried using Pokemon Amie to evolve my Riolu but its happiness did not go up (Checked in the Pokemon club in that one town that I can't remember the name of). Also it didn't increase the rate of happiness growth. Just gave some perks like higher crit rates and higher evasion. This was all during the day too (Riolu only evolves during the day) so I made no mistakes.

That's not true. When Pokemon-Amie was first announced, the trailer specifically said that it should also increase friendship level. :/

As for your issue, Ezio, I'm really not sure what to tell you here. Maybe you had accidentally use an herb or let the Igglybuff that didn't evolve faint? I really don't know.

I specifically did not buy herbs for this reason and the igglybuffs would have to have entered battle to faint. They never entered a single battle. They are trained using Exp. Share in the back while a lv 75 Aero murdered everything in sight with one hit. There was no chance for them to ever faint.

That's not true. When Pokemon-Amie was first announced, the trailer specifically said that it should also increase friendship level. :/

It raises the Pokémon's affection, not friendship. Raising the Pokémon's affection has purely in-battle effects and has no impact on friendship level. They most likely made it separate from friendship so that a maxed affection Eevee won't accidentally evolve into an Umbreon or an Espeon. When evolving my Eevee, even at max affection she didn't evolve into anything until I gave her a Fairy move.

As for Lumi's dilemma, that's awfully strange, especially since the only variable seems to be a message. I could take a guess and say it might be that you've walked around with the other puffs more, but the gains in levels would have balanced that out, and either way you said that they were boxed as soon as they were hatched. I guess you could stick the Soothe Bell on the last Igglybuff, but that doesn't explain why it hasn't evolved yet...

It raises the Pokémon's affection, not friendship. Raising the Pokémon's affection has purely in-battle effects and has no impact on friendship level. They most likely made it separate from friendship so that a maxed affection Eevee won't accidentally evolve into an Umbreon or an Espeon. When evolving my Eevee, even at max affection she didn't evolve into anything until I gave her a Fairy move.

As for Lumi's dilemma, that's awfully strange, especially since the only variable seems to be a message. I could take a guess and say it might be that you've walked around with the other puffs more, but the gains in levels would have balanced that out, and either way you said that they were boxed as soon as they were hatched. I guess you could stick the Soothe Bell on the last Igglybuff, but that doesn't explain why it hasn't evolved yet...

Gonna probably do that. Considering the other two has already evolved they don't need more happiness treatment anyway.

Man I hope he doesn't have some secret hidden everstone properties on him the game better not be trolling me

Then why would the game trailer say it does raise friendship? And the Eevee thing can be controlled by the fact that it has to have a Fairy type move to evolve into Sylveon. If it has high affection/friendship and no Fairy type moves, it'll evolve into Espeon or Umbreon instead.

There's no reason for friendship to be separate. It makes no sense to me.

Edited by Anacybele

Because affection and frienship/happiness are not the same thing

I don't know why. It's pretty misleading, ngl. I googled around to see if it's the same for confirmation, but confirmation denied. Amie does give a small amount of friendship as far as bulba tells me, but it's in addition to affection and in far smaller amounts

They really could've named it something better because the concept of affection and friendship are pretty damn close

Massages has traditionally been a friendship/happiness increasing function and exists prior to amie, and I think affection only increases within the context of amie activities (but I'm not 100% on this since I have not looked into the programming itself). Even if the massage was for affection, the unevolving puff should still have the same happiness gained from solely levelling as the other two.

Oh well, now that I'm home time to give him a bit more happiness treatment

Then why would the game trailer say it does raise friendship? And the Eevee thing can be controlled by the fact that it has to have a Fairy type move to evolve into Sylveon. If it has high affection/friendship and no Fairy type moves, it'll evolve into Espeon or Umbreon instead.

There's no reason for friendship to be separate. It makes no sense to me.

Yes, but if affection and friendship both rose by way of Pokémon Amie, then I would have had an Umbreon instead of a Sylveon, because it took more than a few levels to evolve her (8 to be exact), and on top of that I caught her in a Luxury Ball, which adds a multiplier to every friendship-increasing action.

Yes, but if affection and friendship both rose by way of Pokémon Amie, then I would have had an Umbreon instead of a Sylveon, because it took more than a few levels to evolve her (8 to be exact), and on top of that I caught her in a Luxury Ball, which adds a multiplier to every friendship-increasing action.

Actually, from what I saw on Serebii (or was it Bulbapedia?), raising the affection will help in increasing happiness too, but you won't be able to do something like, evolve a pokémon that evolves through happiness only by using Pokemon Amie. But since you mentioned that Umbreon part, that does raises a question, if a Eevee with full happiness and affection have a Fairy Type move, will it evolve into an Umbreon/Espeon or Sylveon?

Actually, from what I saw on Serebii (or was it Bulbapedia?), raising the affection will help in increasing happiness too, but you won't be able to do something like, evolve a pokémon that evolves through happiness only by using Pokemon Amie. But since you mentioned that Umbreon part, that does raises a question, if a Eevee with full happiness and affection have a Fairy Type move, will it evolve into an Umbreon/Espeon or Sylveon?

As I said, my guess is that whether or not the Eevee has a Fairy type move will determine what it evolves into. Fairy type move results in Sylveon while no Fairy type move results in Espeon/Umbreon. If you want an Espeon/Umbreon with a Fairy type move, make your Eevee forget it, then relearn it upon evolving via the move reminder.

did you hatch them at the same time?

No but I fly immediately to the judge since he's in a pokecenter anyway and then box so dist walked should be the same or close to the same

I went with the soothe bell method and the last puff only needed one more level anyway so it's all good now

Still don't know the exact causes but oh well

I saw somewhere that affection is a completely different stat from happiness and can confirm it with in-game exp. My Azurill with max affection still didn't evolve when I level her up. On the other hand, the happiness rater in Santalune said some of my pokm were really happy despite having low affection.

Affection may influence how you gain happiness, but raising one doesn't necessarily raise the other.

As for why the massage one didn't evolve. This is a pretty silly question, but you never know: Did the Igglybuff share the same type of pokeball? Could some had been hatched in a Luxury ball while the other was in a normal pokeball?