Fire Emblem Link Arena Discussion Topic

Espinosa

Things in the Fates meta that look bannable?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (tick many) What looks bannable in the Fates meta?

• Dragon Ward (Hoshido Noble)
    • Life or Death (Master of Arms)
    • Counter (Oni Chieftain)
    • Darting Blow (Sky Knight)
    • Multiple Amaterasu (Kinshi Knight)
    • Wary Fighter (General)
    • Inspiration (Strategist)
    • Aggressor (Dread Fighter)
    • Galeforce (Dark Falcon)
    • Awakening (Great Lord)
    • Dancing Blade (Lodestar)
    • Ban ALL DLC/Amiibo skills.
    • Other (state what)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we've got:

AnonymousSpeed

Me

Nicolas

Randa

Looks like we can get two matches together, if we can decide on a game (Probbaly FE9) and rulesets (or run a Draft because this is 'un the Drafts subforum idk #coolcat#hotdog)

[spoiler=should probably spend my time studying for finals but who cares]

WzziHN1.png

so we doing a 4 man mini tour thing?

Edited by Randa

This works for every FE, or just for 9?

And great work! I was thinking about cratinog something like that in python but long time ago.

the one im building right now will work just for FE 9.

the skills and supports are set up for 9 specifically.; im also changing the weapon input system to combo boxes so the weapons will also be 9 specific. i will make a general version later though.

Will your sim display the RNs that would occur, or just display the results/outcomes without showing RNs?

i can just add it as an optional feature. its only an extra 15-20 lines of code.

Will your sim display the RNs that would occur, or just display the results/outcomes without showing RNs?

i can just add it as an optional feature. its only an extra 15-20 lines of code.

I hope you also do something about effective weapons (Bows, namely) and FullGuards and stuff to accomodate. Also I don't see a Weapon Stat field, to allow things like Banned!Ragnell's +5 Def Wishblade's +3 Luk, Rexbolt's +3 Skill or w/e else are we allowing Rexflame in our matches because that has +3 Speed?

Also any plans for Laguz?

Edited by Sara.

the weapons will have the stat modifiers attached to their combat stats, but thank your reminding me to add the flyer aspect to this.

Don't forget about Armors too (at least because Hammers still manage to squeeze themselves into the meta now and again) and magictypes wrt Laguz for when that comes to be.

Knight Wards are a thing too

I'm sure you included SM/Zerk/Sniper crit bonuses but will you have gauges too for Laguz transformation and Sleep from Deadeye?

Edited by Sara.

Did you call the Demi band "Knight" band?

It's looking really good RandaMan. Might I suggest changing the Seperators to look like "---Tomes---" or somethin? The simulated indent helps them stand out a bit more.

Also make sure you add Slim Swords because Horace will no doubt stuff his team full of them

Edited by Sara.

[spoiler=probably penultimate design]

OA2J4RV.png

i still need to add magic to the stats section.

for those nerdy enough to actually care about the code. i got about 1/3rd done.

http://pastebin.com/gKCeZFbB (yes sf cannot load the whole thing its that big)

Edited by Randa

Bottom corners.

And to be fair most of that is just copy pasting, the round generation, particularly once I input magic, will be the only part that actually requires thought and not just typing a giant switch statement.

Edited by Randa

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom corners.

And to be fair most of that is just copy pasting, the round generation, particularly once I input magic, will be the only part that actually requires thought and not just typing a giant switch statement.

I see, sounds great! So...how long shall we wait to actually have to have much? Until this is done?

• 5 months later...

As some may have noticed by the last two posts in the Link Arena resource thread, I've taken an interest in trying to discover what Link Arena simulation in FE13 could be like, something I believe Psych and Elieson, among others, have been interested before me. I've also started typing up average/max stats, but both processes appeared to be excessively tedious and I'm sorta doubting their usefulness considering we'll only be using only some a tiny fraction of the combinations of units and classes, so maybe some different resources and links to sections on the site would prove to be more helpful for building teams and hosting/playing matches.

I've set up a poll to gather people's opinions on the first questions that sprang to mind.

At this moment, there are quite a lot of questions to answer before we have any games at all (during which the necessary testing may commence), such as what metagame to play, what to ban and what skills should even work in Link Arena in FE13. It seems especially important to decide what to do with Robin, children characters and Dual Attack/Guard.

Speed tiers appear to be quite important here, but characters with a lot of speed also appear to have significantly poorer bulk. The fastest classes are Taguel (40+8 speed), Assassin and Swordmaster (46 speed prior to personal modifiers). SM/Assassin MU with a spd asset will have 50 speed, for instance, +2 if it's a female with Peg Knight's Speed+2 ability, and a further +5 if the SM in question is equipped with a Balmung, so that's 57 speed before we even consider cases like children units and 3rd Gen Morgan.

I'd really love to see how Awakening LA plays out, and could either host or play a match when we settle the ruleset and our general approach first.

IIRC we had better luck planning out a First Gen setup in terms of easily decidable stats and such (though SF's MaxStat Calculator via Parent+Class) makes it easy anyway. Many of the children just play out too similarly, and my mock setups that I just built for myself all boiled down to speed and skill procs of Luna; the lack of Variety wasn't as fun. Taguel made an interesting highlight but lack the offensive skills (well, Panne anyway) to really succeed. There's little reason to use anything that Beastbane works against (since you're pumping Speed/Skill stats, and Great Lord/Hero/Warrior/Berserker/Assassin steal the show), and Beaststone+ only gives +5 str (giving Yarne a pitiful 46 Atk, and Morgan 43 (i forget her Third gen str)).

Not to mention the lack of modifiable Hit/Crit. Taguel are just too weak. Hitting that top tier speed of 40+8 (47+8 at best as Lon'Qu!Yarne) is great but he hits like a wet paper towel and lacks anything meaningful bar Astra to damage with. No Faires and no Forges mean Taguel are pretty much shit unless reeeeeeeeeeally lucky. You can bet Panne will be worse as a Taguel due to only having Astra as a proc naturally and less skill since not-a-child. **Edit** I forgot lack of Brave access

I'd suggest banning Dual Attack/Guard entirely, as well as PairUp Bonuses unless we can streamline this sort of thing, and banning Celice's Gale for a while, as it's still confirmed to wreck everything. Possibly Limit breaker, as the only thing it does in the Link Arena scenario is decrease crit rates by 5 and increase skill procs (assuming everyone is running it, that's it, since Str-Def and Mag-Res cancel each other out, and Speed-Skill and Luk cancel each other out in the Avoid formula)

Edited by Elieson