Which FE do you you think was the most well-written?

ZemZem

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

You know that IS is on par with how the internet called them before, right? They're not completely oblivious to the fandom. They wouldn't make a game with retro elements that include FE4 if they were.

Also, Alvis seems more like a legit name than Arvis.

theyre completely oblivious to the western fandom

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the context of the where the Latin letters appear. On the cards, they were never released outside Japan (I think?) and only the name was translated so it's likely meant to be a romanisation only. The name being in English media would suggest it is an actual translation. Fan translation names are tricky; they're not official but they are the first names many people see for the character so they can carry a lot of weight.

It depends on the context of the where the Latin letters appear. On the cards, they were never released outside Japan (I think?) and only the name was translated so it's likely meant to be a romanisation only. The name being in English media would suggest it is an actual translation. Fan translation names are tricky; they're not official but they are the first names many people see for the character so they can carry a lot of weight.

There is something awfully strange about how one considers a difference between a "fan" translation and an otherwise standard translation, especially concerning something so basic as a name. ダークソウル - If any one of us were to translate this basic title into English without being professionally contracted to do so, that doesn't necessarily mean our translation of the title is somehow lesser than the individual who is in such a contracted position--there is such a small space for other interpretations for it to be so, without accepting a wild disregard for the original text altogether.

There's an essentialism here that is seemingly overlooked when making, at a basic level of translation, distinctions between who or what is doing the translating.

Edited by Celice

There is something awfully strange about how one considers a difference between a "fan" translation and an otherwise standard translation, especially concerning something so basic as a name. ダークソウル - If any one of us were to translate this basic title into English without being professionally contracted to do so, that doesn't necessarily mean our translation of the title is somehow lesser than the individual who is in such a contracted position--there is such a small space for other interpretations for it to be so, without accepting a wild disregard for the original text altogether.

There's an essentialism here that is seemingly overlooked when making, at a basic level of translation, distinctions between who or what is doing the translating.

Man, I've seen this happen so many times it's utterly annoying, because it's not "professional" it's not good enough or it's beneath the level of even piss quality localizations

That was poorly worded and explained on my part. I make the distinction on the comprehensiveness and the purpose of the translation. I would call many old official translations meant to make it readable only, like FFII for the SNES, fan translation, and call the translations for Mother 3 and NMotE professional translations. In retrospect, it doesn't make much sense if you're not inside my head.

Edited by Baldrick