FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

FEXNA_Text_Preview1.png

New feature to the text editor, a preview of roughly what a conversation will look like ingame, so you can see how the text fits in the windows or check for glitches with the formatting code.

FEXNA_Text_Preview2.png

The left panel is fairly accurate to what the ingame text will look like with just the first three lines, and the right has the entire current message. Previous and Next change the text to another message bubble, as expected. Probably adding support for actual faces from the game later.

The best part is making 5 chapters of game and adding dialogue for all 5 at once without playtesting. Top tier noob friendly.

How lightweight space wise is FEXNA+accoutrements+a typical project on that note? Because if I can shove it entirely in a Dropbox, that's much nicer than pasting from TextPad.

Patience is the best way to help him out. Donations help too, he's a poor man making a huge engine for free.

As for a list of what we need to finish, here's a few things:

-External editor integration. The text editor is updated but not integrated, meaning you have to copy paste files into the project folder to make them work. The map editor also wants integration as well.
-Branching classes need to be finished. We have the support in the editor and you can manually force class changes via eventing, but the actual window from FE8 that allows you to choose ingame isn't added.

-We need a skill editor and animation data editor before public release, as well as finishing the tileset editor so people can add their own tilesets easily.

-Various tiny bugs in the editors we have and those to be added need to be fixed.

-Move the Config project file into the editor, make bools into checkboxes, things like that. The config file is freaking massive too so this will take a while.

-We need to add all the effects for staves/items from gbafe, like the light rune as an example.

-Adding in all the animations from GBAFE, something I'm doing myself for sacred contention actually.

-Adding an example game, which will be either sacred contention remake and/or yeti's TR1-3 series, or something wholly new like yeti did for FEXP release with the example maps.

-If there is time/desire, perhaps add in optional classic game features, like FE5 capturing. Stuff like this will probably be after launch though.

There's a lot of other stuff too, most of it fairly minor. Even so, just the list above will take time to finish, which is why we aren't predicting any future dates. Not to mention things like adding in event editor functionality as we go, or adding new things to the current editors we forgot previously.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

-External editor integration. The text editor is updated but not integrated, meaning you have to copy paste files into the project folder to make them work. The map editor also wants integration as well.

I don't see any problem. make another program for text and copy text files to game folder. that would be needed to explain in tutorial. it is if inserting text editor in whole editor is too difficult. then make it like that.

-Branching classes need to be finished. We have the support in the editor and you can manually force class changes via eventing, but the actual window from FE8 that allows you to choose ingame isn't added.

Do we need it at all? I am used to FE 7 style. You can make that effect into item. For example Haven seal is used By Lord Wolfram (Me) Event is activated Changes me from Valkyrie to Fallen angel. event is over.(FE 7 style)

-Adding in all the animations from GBAFE, something I'm doing myself for sacred contention actually.

There will be tools for inserting custom ones. And how much you have done? I may assist you somehow.

-Adding an example game, which will be either sacred contention remake and/or yeti's TR1-3 series, or something wholly new like yeti did for FEXP release with the example maps.

I can most definitely help you with this. I have read a lot o books and have awesome fantasy. You can call me in time of making that game.

Patience is the best way to help him out. Donations help too, he's a poor man making a huge engine for free.

I agree and disagree at the same time.

I think somewhere I left my Skype name in profile so You can call me in Skype anytime.

May You all have power of Lords to work on this program.

Yeah, we're not gonna give beta access to a guy who's been on the SF forums for... less than two weeks. No offense, it's just not gonna happen. We have plenty of beta testers.

When it's released, if there's anything we need help with at that point, you're welcome to help out at that stage of development though.

Will I be able to vary events based on affinity? Such as giving a sword to anyone who visit a village with a fire affinity, but if someone with a thunder affinity visits the same village, they get an axe, or something like that? sorry if its been answered before

Hold a sec Are you by any chance Klokinator?

lol he is

As for a list of what we need to finish, here's a few things:

-We need a skill editor and animation data editor before public release, as well as finishing the tileset editor so people can add their own tilesets easily.

-Various tiny bugs in the editors we have and those to be added need to be fixed.

-Move the Config project file into the editor, make bools into checkboxes, things like that. The config file is freaking massive too so this will take a while.

-We need to add all the effects for staves/items from gbafe, like the light rune as an example.

-If there is time/desire, perhaps add in optional classic game features, like FE5 capturing. Stuff like this will probably be after launch though.

There's a lot of other stuff too, most of it fairly minor. Even so, just the list above will take time to finish, which is why we aren't predicting any future dates. Not to mention things like adding in event editor functionality as we go, or adding new things to the current editors we forgot previously.

That's an impressively intimidating list. I sincerely hope Yeti doesn't have to shoulder all that by himself (well, sans your animation importation.)

I think if I had that skillset I might have packed up for 'greener' pastures long ago.

To be honest, what you seem to be aiming to do with Sacred Contention sounds like it would make a reasonably good tech demo, so to speak.

Edited by Siuloir

Hold a sec Are you by any chance Klokinator?

Just two more days and I can finally change my name back so we don't have confusion

That's an impressively intimidating list. I sincerely hope Yeti doesn't have to shoulder all that by himself (well, sans your animation importation.)

True, but after making literally every other facet of the engine, at this point it's just a formality. If anyone knows a lot of C#, that's the only exception we'd make on adding to the team, so we could outsource the optional features from other FE titles and leave just the core stuff to yeti. (For example they could tackle branching promotions/FE5 capture and etc.)

We've had two people join with C# experience but they got bored/weren't as interested as we thought and did pretty much nothing. Riskyplus is finally back and working on stuff, and you might remember him from this impressive FEXP fangame, but Galleom isn't around nor is anyone else we recruited for that purpose.

So, if anyone really wants to expedite FEXNA's release, knowing C# coding to a skilled degree and helping us out is the only surefire way to actually speed up development.

Will I be able to vary events based on affinity? Such as giving a sword to anyone who visit a village with a fire affinity, but if someone with a thunder affinity visits the same village, they get an axe, or something like that? sorry if its been answered before

Not currently but functionality like that would be fairly trivial for anyone with C# experience to add to the event editor.

Edit: You could vary based on other things though, like the class of a unit, or the weapon type. Affinity would just need to be added for this to be doable.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

Just two more days and I can finally change my name back so we don't have confusion

We've had two people join with C# experience but they got bored/weren't as interested as we thought and did pretty much nothing. Riskyplus is finally back and working on stuff,

(I have no idea how people confuse these things...)

Hah! That's cool. I was actually fairly excited for Divinitas and was sad to see it not really come to fruition. Good to know he's still working behind the scene.

I am surprised there isn't more overlap in the 'fan of Fire Emblem' and 'competent programmer demographics. My 'languages spoken by computers' skills do not approach my 'languages spoken by fleshbags'. Perhaps someone will shake out of the Nintendo Fan Game Convention or something.

Edited by Siuloir

So, if anyone really wants to expedite FEXNA's release, knowing C# coding to a skilled degree and helping us out is the only surefire way to actually speed up development.

I mean I've known c, c++, and java for eons, and have been looking at c# for a bit(I'm a computer science major); but I never heard anything about any requirement to try out the beta(I just assumed it was some first come, first serve sort of deal).

So essentially I'm wondering if you're pulling this out of your ass or if yeti actually said something... Because I haven't heard anything

Just a side question; you said new skills have to be written into the c# src file. My question is do you guys have functions or structs or anything like that set up to make it easier? Like say for example a function to load a stat as a percent change with the stat as your argument for example?

I mean I've known c, c++, and java for eons, and have been looking at c# for a bit(I'm a computer science major); but I never heard anything about any requirement to try out the beta(I just assumed it was some first come, first serve sort of deal).

So essentially I'm wondering if you're pulling this out of your ass or if yeti actually said something... Because I haven't heard anything

There's a lot of people in the beta chat, let me tell you

It's a big enough clusterfuck as it is, and that's been going on since...June 8th, 2013

I guess the beta testing schtick just kind of evolved from the skype chats which talked about it way back then, no 'ass-pulling' here, just weird stuff