FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

It's not just a generation gap, people don't read books anymore, and his was a cult classic novel for a reason. I literally don't know anybody else who's read it.

But wow uh, way offtopic.

To be honest I have no idea what you're talking about with regards to what Brendor just quoted.

Edit: Hey let's put stuff back on topic a little.

fce12d0359.png

This is also just to brush up my skills, but the code you posted is basically:

class_crt_bonus() checks the actor if it has a skill called CRIT, which is searched by comparing each skill_id in actor.all_skills to a master list of skills until it finds a skill_id with name CRIT. The line after the if statement determines how much crit to add, which is returned to the calling function with the return then it deletes parts of the "CRIT +X" string until only "X" remains, which is then checked to see if it contains only numbers(?), and then that is added to n

dodge_bonus() does the same thing, but with an extra if statement to check for and ability called SET (for Set's Litany, adding +15 dodge)

Sorry if this was random, I just got excited when I saw how easy it seems to add basic skills such as these.

Awesome work going on! I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I'll see if I can scavenge anything to add to the BwdYeti fund.

Edited by SentryDown

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So say I wanted to insert a skill such as Galeforce (zzz), would it go something like this?

int variable in the actor called gforce

(trashy pseudocode time)

if enemy defeated do

function galeforce()

check if gforce = current turn

if true {refresh_actor(); actor.gforce = current_turn}

if false {return;}

that get the general idea?

Sentry, your profile icon is amazing. *cough* but on topic

It might be more complex than that because the unit is set to be in the "wait" status *after* combat....... probably. But it shouldn't be more difficult than setting a flag to galeforce and a flag for the first activation of the turn and upon the wait-command, you just tell it to do something else if the flag is set. Should be easy if each part of the code is accessible.

Is there anyway that I could potentially grab hold of a mug template for this?

I might as well see if I can end up making all my mugs into this format so that people have some resources ready when this drops.

I believe the old FEXP Mug Formatter is still over in Resources. As I recall Klok has said XNA store s them the same way?

I believe the old FEXP Mug Formatter is still over in Resources. As I recall Klok has said XNA store s them the same way?

I suppose it's a start. If FEXNA changes it any it'll hopefully a simple edit from the FEXP sheets. Cheers for the heads up.

That's the point, really. Many modifications to formulae, like statuses, are handled as skills because 90% of the time the entire effect of a skill can exist as 5 lines of code, and it's easy to see what the existing skills do or to edit them.

And if I move to a functional programming system like Crazycolorz is suggesting it's close to a 1:1 conversion in terms of moving pieces around.

Not at the moment, no. If nothing else than because I'm focusing on FE7x's next release for NCFC right now. Check back in November, I think the the few months after that some real progress will be made.

I mainly meant it in the context of Klok using it as a litmus test for one's understanding of C# Simplicity for easier comprehension of a userbase that won't likely have a huge coding background is good.

Mugs in the same way as in FEXP... I think it would be more easy if it were made in normal (ROM) style.

But why in the same way?

Because FEXP/FEXNA don't have the hackbox limitation a normal mug does.

They don't need to fit in 128x112.

Mugs in the same way as in FEXP... I think it would be more easy if it were made in normal (ROM) style.

But why in the same way?

All of my mugs are currently formatted to be acceptable in ROM hacks, but it'd be ridiculous to not make use of FEXNA's increased screen real-estate by making slightly taller mugs.

Gives me something to do in regards to my graphics without having to endeavour to make new ones which I find tedious half the time.

Using the FEXP mug formatter is exactly what you need to do to convert a mug to FEXNA's format. That being said, FEXNA stores the actual data a bit differently.

For example, here's Eliwood.

3525ec2a29.png --- 7a7c3e0668.png

Here's the data for Eliwood in FEXP and FEXNA format.

Note: SF ruined the tab formatting on all the parts where tabs appeared, but tabs aren't even necessary so w/e

FEXP:
'Eliwood_FE7' => [[29, 24], [21, 40], [17, 4], 0],

FEXNA:
{"Eliwood_FE7", new Face_Sprite_Data(new Vector2(29, 24), new Vector2(21, 40), new Vector2(17, 4), 0) },

Note that spaces/whitespace do not matter in either section so you can add tabs or whatever you want to keep everything looking consistent. The FEXP mug formatter only prints out to the FEXP number format listed above, but ideally before release Yeti will have made an editor tab that allows people to import romhacking templates into FEXNA format and subsequently give the FEXNA coordinates for each character. That being said, if you want to get an early start, just use find/replace to change the FEXP format above on a batch of mugs to the FEXNA format. Yeti illustrates this:

1. Replace top with bottom.
=> [[
", new Face_Sprite_Data(new Vector2(

], [
), new Vector2(

], (space here)
), (here too)

],
) },

And then you put

{ "

at the start of each line.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

t'd be ridiculous to not make use of FEXNA's increased screen real-estate by making slightly taller mugs.

Not just taller, but wider too. Too long have people suffered the hack box's limitations.

Obnoxiously large shoulder plates for everyone!

Not just taller, but wider too. Too long have people suffered the hack box's limitations.

Obnoxiously large shoulder plates for everyone!

I don't think I've ever had too much trouble with width in the past couple of years so I'm going to be using a 106x106 box, which is definitely better than a ROMhack's 96x80.

If anything is wider than that, I'm sure you could work posture and perspective somehow to make it work.

You can almost fit fullbodies in, yeti uses halfbodies.

I'd be interested in seeing fullbodies that used Ryru's text system, where the dialogue is under the face.

Doesn't look too bad, but they use a lot of screen real estate which would become immensely cluttered as soon as you add in a third mug onto the GBA screen or if you wanted to make sure people could see the map in the background.

I think I'd rather stick with how Yeti's going 'bout it, leaves ample room for text, characters on screen and things behind the character, be it background image or map, yet still allows more freedom than a ROM hack does in regards to mugs.

Still, I thought Ryru's system was pretty cool, though I do know that he had the text under the face because of limited gbafe screen space vertically. GBA is 240x160 while FEXNA/FEXP is 320x192, which gives you a significant boost to screen size. With that boost that means more room for large mugs so the current system is fine.

I just think the FE9 text system was badass. I'd actually like after release to get another coder working on recreating some elements of that system, namely:

1. Mugs fadeout when not speaking, the mug currently speaking is at full brightness.

2. The text is below the mug and has a letterbox instead of a text bubble.

3. Mugs go on top of said text box.

Even the mugs fading out/in based on who's talking, just getting that would be pretty awesome.

I just think the FE9 text system was badass. I'd actually like after release to get another coder working on recreating some elements of that system, namely:

1. Mugs fadeout when not speaking, the mug currently speaking is at full brightness.

Even the mugs fading out/in based on who's talking, just getting that would be pretty awesome.

That would be cool but you forgot being able to read previously displayed text. That would be cool to see.

Still, I thought Ryru's system was pretty cool, though I do know that he had the text under the face because of limited gbafe screen space vertically. GBA is 240x160 while FEXNA/FEXP is 320x192, which gives you a significant boost to screen size. With that boost that means more room for large mugs so the current system is fine.

I don't mind the idea of making a character slightly dull-out to denote a speaker but I find that to be unnecessary when we have the little tail on the speech bubble, so it's a useless effect unless you also implement your desire of the chatbox which I don't really like because it'll take up permanent screen real-estate during conversations which will obfuscate the background, and if you have the mugs appear above the box then they'll appear highly against the backgrounds as if they're really tall or floating or you'll have to move the backgrounds upwards thus removing detail.

I feel these things work well the way they are because it's efficient yet also aesthetically pleasing. Unless you increase the screen size to something comparable to an average gamecube screen dimensions then I feel the best bet is how Yeti is handling it.

That would be cool but you forgot being able to read previously displayed text. That would be cool to see.

Yeti already implemented this like a year ago. Press buttons during a conversation to read it FE13-style.

I don't mind the idea of making a character slightly dull-out to denote a speaker but I find that to be unnecessary when we have the little tail on the speech bubble, so it's a useless effect unless you also implement your desire of the chatbox which I don't really like because it'll take up permanent screen real-estate during conversations which will obfuscate the background, and if you have the mugs appear above the box then they'll appear highly against the backgrounds as if they're really tall or floating or you'll have to move the backgrounds upwards thus removing detail.

I feel these things work well the way they are because it's efficient yet also aesthetically pleasing. Unless you increase the screen size to something comparable to an average gamecube screen dimensions then I feel the best bet is how Yeti is handling it.

Good points.

I don't think I've ever had too much trouble with width in the past couple of years so I'm going to be using a 106x106 box, which is definitely better than a ROMhack's 96x80.

If anything is wider than that, I'm sure you could work posture and perspective somehow to make it work.

Technically it can support any size. The 106 width minimum is just because that's how wide the battle face rectangle is. The only real 'limit' to the size is how it fits in places where the whole thing is used in gameplay, like

[spoiler=examples]Screen90.png

Screen91.png

Screen92.png

which is why FE7x uses 104x104 as a max for PCs, but you could edit the size of those panels, and it's always fine for convo only faces.

(apparently the generic general is 144 wide, looks like I need to edit the code for the steal window...)

Yeti already implemented this like a year ago. Press buttons during a conversation to read it FE13-style.

Screen65.png

When you press the R button (the more info one, default S key)

Yeti

Screen90.png

Excluding this one, couldn't you just cheat and make the lower body hide behind the panel below it? Even in this one, you could have the lower body just magically vanish at the bottom of the box and then you wouldn't have height issues.

Edited by Klokinator