Is recruiting Ayra worth it?

Garland Chaos

Yes, she is worth it. She and her kids are awesome!

You should do what was listed above, or do what I did and bait her out with Quan; he always manages to stay a few paces ahead and lead her away from the castle. Just make sure she doesn't actually catch him.

How bad are they, anyway?

They are OK. But no where near Larcei and Ulster

Roddlebad's only contribution ever is giving Tristan stat bonuses in Chapter 7.

Otherwise he's dead weight, IMO. Radney, IIRC, has a better start and can be used easier.

Her skill, Astra, is very good. Her high speed and skill means that it will activate fairly often, and she'll double a lot. Give her the Brave Sword from Lex or Holyn, and she becomes a BEAST. The first true Sword Saint. Her str is okay, but if you give her a Power Ring, she's quite easily one of the best units of 1st Gen.

Her skill, Astra, is very good. Her high speed and skill means that it will activate fairly often, and she'll double a lot. Give her the Brave Sword from Lex or Holyn, and she becomes a BEAST. The first true Sword Saint. Her str is okay, but if you give her a Power Ring, she's quite easily one of the best units of 1st Gen.

Thanks for the advice, Gabe!

Edited by GarlandDaHero

To get the Brave Sword, have Lex or Holyn talk to her in chapter 3. This will make the guy you chose get 100 love points with her, so make sure you want that before you do it!

Though that's only if she doesn't already have a lover. I found this out the hard way on my current run. :/:

Speaking about the sword twins, you also need to think about who you want to pair her with. The sooner the better, because it can take a while and some units benefit from being paired sooner (the Hero Bow for Jamka/Midir if Aideen is paired with one of them).

Edited by Rapier

How bad are they, anyway?

The fact they've been nicknamed Badney and Roddlebad should be a give away! They're passable as subs go but easily worse than any possible swordtwins.

Roddlebad's only contribution ever is giving Tristan stat bonuses in Chapter 7.

Otherwise he's dead weight, IMO. Radney, IIRC, has a better start and can be used easier.

I've never used them, but looking at the stats, I think Roddlevan starts better, but Radney catches up and overtakes primarily due to events in late chapter 6 and mid chapter 7.

Radney is down 2 HP, 1 STR, 1 LUK and 1 DEF, and only has 2 SPD and 1 RES to compensate. Considering the entirety of chapter 6 is slow enemies and no mages (IIRC), and Roddlevan has Ambush to Radney's nothing, I'd expect Roddlevan's start to be a little better. Growths are honestly pretty similar - Radney will end up with a small SPD and RES lead to Roddlevan's SKL and HP lead. Events wise, Radney has a secret event in chapter 6 for +3 STR and +2 LUK towards the end of chapter 6 and another event for +2 STR midway through chapter 7 - so it would look to me like Radney has a slower start but gets considerably better than Roddlevan by about mid chapter 7.

Radney actually looks like she does okay stats wise in the end - for a substitute at least. She's probably capping STR and SPD, around 24 SKL, 17-18 DEF, 10 RES (pretty good for a phyiscal unit!) and 9 LUK. Her massive letdown statwise is her HP - 48 HP at level 30 is really not a lot in Gen 2. Even Dew!Larcei beats that by a good 7 or so points. And then when you factor in a lack of skills beyond Pursuit... yeck. But as far as subs go she seems pretty solid, I'd think. Maybe.

Radney is alright from the subs runs I've done before but Lakche is godmazing and Ayra can hold her own in Gen 1, you should recruit her.

backtracking to the part about recruiting Ayra in the first place, i've personally always favoured using Quan to bait her away from the castle. i guess using Alec for his Nihil insurance in case she gets close enough would be a nice advantage, but honestly for me having to deal with sponging attacks from Ayra has never been much of an issue: i keep Quan barely out of her range, enough to lure her toward him and away from the castle (or back toward it once it's seized), and Quan having one more move than the cavalier twins is an appreciable advantage

now i think about it, the map design between the two eastern castles is basically built with this in mind; it may as well be a giant roundabout