First time hacker, is this all possible?

ZaHiro86

Hello everyone, I am planning a hack using the sacred stones as a base. I chose the sacred stones because of the split class tree and because I love the summoner class. Here are some things that I want to do but I don't know how feasible they are:

The game will have 43 recruitable characters

I intend to use characters from other fire emblem games, I want to know if it's easy to change sprite palletes.

I want to change skill activation rates so that they rely on the skill stat

I want to add bows to the assassin class and axes to wyvern rider/knight/lord

Is this all doable? Fairly easily?

I intend to use characters from other fire emblem games, I want to know if it's easy to change sprite palletes.

Very easy, we actually have a few tutorials on it. Portrait palettes are incredibly easy since they're handled by FEditor and you basically don't have to do anything yourself. Battle sprites are slightly more involved but also very easy.
I want to change skill activation rates so that they rely on the skill stat
Almost certainly doable, but maybe not easy. It would require a bit of knowledge of assembly hacking, which is unfortunately outside of the skillset of the majority of hackers here.
I want to add bows to the assassin class and axes to wyvern rider/knight/lord
Incredibly easy as well, and there's even an animation for the wyvern rider and lord already available. None have been made for the wyvern knight or assassin classes, though.

I think I love you. Thank you.

Any ideas on how to go about incorporating laguz/taguel? I was thinking of having them transform into hounds and attack that way. Also, can i import fe7 attack animations? Specifically lyn's and hector's animations

importing fe7 animations is really easy, FEditor makes it largely self-explanatory

having fully functional laguz has been an idea tossed around here and there but i don't think anybody has managed to actually pull off the asm

Laguz/taguel are a really tough one. The easiest way to do it would be to approach it like FE13 does it, and just incorporate the transformation into the standard attack, rather than having the character transform at the beginning of the battle and transform back at the end of the battle. This may cause some issues with FEditor (the program of choice for making animations) which won't accept animations past a certain size. The limitations are a little bit vague, but in essence, you'd just have to make sure you don't have any pointless frames in the animation. Having an FE9/FE10-like laguz system is, in all honesty, out of reach. There's (probably) only one or two people in the FE hacking community who could pull something like that off. One of them has been AWOL for years, and the other will charge an arm and a leg for it :P:

Cam ninja'd me but I wrote a long and detailed post so I thought I'd post it anyway

come to think of it i might be able to duct-tape some kind of dumbed-down fe9/10 system together

i'm not sure how i'd deal with sprites and everything (would probably do some kind of class transplant) but it shouldn't be too hard to set up some kind of turn counter for the transformation

So I've run in to two different snags.

First of all, how the heck do you reclass characters? I couldn't find it in nightmare

Second, using FERecolor, how do I open the two sprites? Or how do I open a sprite to recolor? Do I use MS Paint?

So I've run in to two different snags. First of all, how the heck do you reclass characters? I couldn't find it in nightmare Second, using FERecolor, how do I open the two sprites? Or how do I open a sprite to recolor? Do I use MS Paint?

Not sure, never used FErecolor.

If you want to change class edit with either the Chapter Unit editor module for their introduction chapter, or edit it when you edit the events for their introductory chapter.

IE: Editing eirika's data for chapter 1 is pointless, edit the prologue instead.

Not sure, never used FErecolor.

If you want to change class edit with either the Chapter Unit editor module for their introduction chapter, or edit it when you edit the events for their introductory chapter.

IE: Editing eirika's data for chapter 1 is pointless, edit the prologue instead.

Thank you! I figured it out!

there's a button for loading images into ferecolor somewhere

I can't find it..

Ok, so is there a map editor like there is for Pokemon ROM Hacks? And what tool do I need to edit events?

I can't find it..

Ok, so is there a map editor like there is for Pokemon ROM Hacks? And what tool do I need to edit events?

You should check the Hacking Resources section - it's got answers and documentation for some of the questions you've asked.

As for the last two questions, you should read these threads:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35944 - Tiled Map Editor

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44699 - Resource Directory, Check under the Tutorials Spoiler and then the Events Spoiler

I can't find it..

You're welcome c:

As for Map Editors I'd recommend TILED or MAPPY.

I'll make a Mappy tutorial if you want, as I've got it down pretty much on both FE7 and FE8.

As for events you need a text editor such as Notepad++ and EA, the Event Assembler.

Warning though, FE8 events are very.

Very.

Hard.

loadimage_zps72ad83fe.png

If you happen to be one of those unlucky souls with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 or lower then the bottom will be cut off, which might explain why you couldn't find it.

You're welcome c:

As for Map Editors I'd recommend TILED or MAPPY.

I'll make a Mappy tutorial if you want, as I've got it down pretty much on both FE7 and FE8.

As for events you need a text editor such as Notepad++ and EA, the Event Assembler.

Warning though, FE8 events are very.

Very.

Hard.

Oh my. Can you tell me why they're so hard? Also, I was playing around with tiled and I was wondering if it was possible to directly edit maps? Using nightmare i'm having trouble positioning characters where I want them

loadimage_zps72ad83fe.png

If you happen to be one of those unlucky souls with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 or lower then the bottom will be cut off, which might explain why you couldn't find it.

Ok, so I click on that option and all I can select is the stock photos that came with the program. I searched around but I can't seem to rip models off of the ROM...

Can I do split promotions/add the rogue, summoner and wyvern knight classes to fe7? For easier scripting I mean

And last but not least, 24 chapters is not enough, can I use the opposite route's maps to extend the game?

Edited by ZaHiro86

Ok, so I click on that option and all I can select is the stock photos that came with the program. I searched around but I can't seem to rip models off of the ROM...

You can only use actual image files like PNGs and GIFs with FERecolor. If you want to rip models from the ROM you need to take a screenshot (disabling layers will help) and rip the graphics yourself. Alternatively, head to somewhere like FEPlanet to use their sprite rips. FERecolor is not a ROM hacking tool strictly speaking, it just happens to be good for the same thing.

And last but not least, 24 chapters is not enough, can I use the opposite route's maps to extend the game?

I'm not sure that this is possible because of the way FE8's events work. In FE8, to proceed to a chapter, you need to have the lord character go onto the right part of the world map and there are only so many parts. I'll see if I can get Alfred Kamon or someone else to answer this because I'm not really familiar with FE8.

You can only use actual image files like PNGs and GIFs with FERecolor. If you want to rip models from the ROM you need to take a screenshot (disabling layers will help) and rip the graphics yourself. Alternatively, head to somewhere like FEPlanet to use their sprite rips. FERecolor is not a ROM hacking tool strictly speaking, it just happens to be good for the same thing.

I'm not sure that this is possible because of the way FE8's events work. In FE8, to proceed to a chapter, you need to have the lord character go onto the right part of the world map and there are only so many parts. I'll see if I can get Alfred Kamon or someone else to answer this because I'm not really familiar with FE8.

Thank you so much, that helps a lot!

Is there a patch for fe7 that adds split promotions and the newly introduced fe8 classes?

Thank you so much, that helps a lot!

Is there a patch for fe7 that adds split promotions and the newly introduced fe8 classes?

No, there is no patch that does that. Probably way too much work.

And you could just use FEditor and nightmare to import FE8 classes into FE7...

Edited by PixelmanFE

No, there is no patch that does that. Probably way too much work.

And you could just use FEditor and nightmare to import FE8 classes into FE7...

Will that allow for pierce/no lockpick unlocking/summon?

And the main thing I want is split promotion paths

Will that allow for pierce/no lockpick unlocking/summon?

And the main thing I want is split promotion paths

No for both. As of now, there is no skill hacks. There also aren't any patches for split promotions. Like I said, it would be way to much work.