Preferred Atmosphere?

Wist

I'm curious as to whether anyone prefers a particular kind of atmosphere in a game, or if anyone has found any game much more enjoyable because of its atmosphere. What one means by an atmosphere is vague and open to varied interpretation (although I don't think a game like Tetris would necessarily fit into this thread), so I won't invent any guidelines or restrictions for the term.

The Fire Emblem games (those which I have completed) are generally uplifting. Many characters come from impoverished backgrounds or have a dark history, but they usually end up in a better position (I know this is vague but I hope you can understand what I'm driving at). Fire Emblem doesn't take itself too seriously and is in no way overtly violent or gruesome despite its focus on warfare, but it still manages to convey an intriguing story. The overall atmosphere is pleasant, if not necessarily happy or fun. This is in contrast to a game like Disgaea, which is very silly and quirky, or much darker games (of which I cannot think of an example in this genre at the moment).

I'm sure many of you are aware of criticism concerning The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker's extensive use of sailing; some of you may agree with that sentiment. I sympathize to a degree, but my father absolutely adores the game. He found the sailing, exploring, and treasure hunting aspects of the game to be an immensely fun way to wind down after work. The vibrant colors and pleasant music helps to reinforce what one would consider a very positive, laid back atmosphere. This is in opposition to Twilight Princess which is notably darker and more mature. Twilight Princess tries to give a firm impression of an unhealthy world (for example, traveling through a Hyrule Castle Town brimming with depressed ghosts). Both of the aforementioned games play similarly, but their atmospheres are radically different.

Does anyone have a preference for a particular kind of atmosphere? How relevant do you find the feeling of a game's world to be to your enjoyment of the game as a whole? Do you prefer darker or lighter games in general, or are you more focused on the depth of the story or specific gameplay mechanics or the art style (or whatever it is that most draws you to your favored titles)?

EDIT (29.08.2008):

Fixed a spelling mistake and a dialectal dissimilarity.

Edited by Wist

Oh I love this,

My opinion is the dark and dreary type. But I really have to preference because I play most types. Though I'm a fan of Twilight Princess, ALttP, and Halo's atmostpher

I heart rpg's where the main character isn't emo at all and doesn't undergo dumb character transforming. I like them to start good and if anything, get better.

I really appreciate games that can be serious and still carry a generally happy mood the whole time.

This is interesting; I'd like to add another question if that's okay with you all. I'm curious as to how relevant a game's atmosphere is in regard to one's attitude towards similar games. Do you like the atmosphere in any Fire Emblem game over that of any other? Any other series would work as well if you'd like to mention them, but the Fire Emblem games are generally fairly similar to each other. I don't mean whether or not you liked any game more than any other, but do any of them elicit a different emotional response or mindset overall?

Edited by Wist

This is interesting; I'd like to add another question if that's okay with you all. I'm curious as to how relevant a game's atmosphere is in regard to one's attitude towards similar games. Do you like the atmosphere in any Fire Emblem game over that of any other? Any other series would work as well if you'd like to mention them, but the Fire Emblem games are generally fairly similar to each other. I don't mean whether or not you liked any game more than any other, but do any of them elicit a different emotional response or mindset overall?

I think I get what you mean by the last line.

Personally I think cheery looking games are easier while the dreary type is always more like a fast pace no holds bar fight that is worth it's diffculty.

This is a tough one...

I'd say I most prefer a dark, serious atmosphere, like Twilight Princess for example. I bought and played that, but I never bothered with Wind waker at all. It probably boils down to the atmosphere and the style of graphics used to make the games what they are.

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 are also good examples of a dark and strange, alien atmosphere.

Depends on the game for me.. Like, Pokemon for example. It's pretty cheery. Whereas Twilight Princess

is kinda dark. Yeah... But I ike cheery more.

Depends on the game for me.. Like, Pokemon for example. It's pretty cheery. Whereas Twilight Princess

is kinda dark. Yeah... But I ike cheery more.

I don't mind Pokemon's atmosphere, but I think I did prefer Coloseum's atmosphere over the ones portrayed in the DS and GBA games.

Although, one thing for the GBA Pokemon games I will say is: When you have awoken Kyorge or Groudon in Sapphire or Ruby (or both in Emerald), and you travel back to the surface. The atmosphere given out from the game through the music and the heavy rain and thunderstorms... Very dramatic. I never wanted it to end.

Edited by Raven