Kurth is starting a hack!

kurthnaga

First and Foremost, I intend to use this singular thread for all of my questions, as well as posting developmental parts until I have a suitable size to move to the actual forums. My progress will also be in this thread.

Currently: Writing Story

Q: If the hack I am doing is of FE7, if I'm to replace the nations with my own creations instead of using Elibe, do I need to have the same number of nations so the map animation at the beginning doesn't get messed up? Or should I just take that out?

I might suggest asking someone to move this to hacking concepts and leaving questions to the hacking questions forum--mostly so that if anyone else has a similar question they would be able to find the answer in your question thread.

With regard to the amount of kingdoms you can have and their animations, I assume you're talking about the "lighting up" effect? If so, it's actually not currently known how the game makes each country "light up" in custom maps as far as I'm aware, so if you're going to make a new world, you may as well build it from the ground-up since you won't be able to use that animation anyway. If you're talking about simply the events, you can do those almost fully custom to whatever you need and have the world map graphic replaced so that's not an issue.

My story premise will be as follows, at least currently.

I want to have two stories going on at the same time - one being the backstory of the continent, and the other being the game related story. They will be labeled clearly for the remainder of this topic.

History: The world was dark. Just dark. No men, beasts, plants, nothing. But an orb of light appeared and began enlightening the Earth (this part will be based mainly upon Genesis from the Bible - not word for word, of course, but the same concept. It will also resemble the idea behind how Hyrule was made)

Story: Orephin is a scholar pursuing the history of the planet, looking for the first story - learning what happened to create the world. Although we, the players are learning as the game goes on, Orephin is trying to find old records and discover the past. Her brother Kurth (not the same as RD) acts as her protector. I think he will be a Jaigan character, but I'm unsure currently.

Posted · Hidden by Tangerine, January 4, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Tangerine, January 4, 2014 - No reason given

Introduction Storyline

Voiceover (if I can figure out how to do this): Darkness unwavering... a bottomless pit of a black, empty, void...lifeless, before man, before beast, before tree, there was darkness. But one question was eminent - if darkness was all, from where is light?

(There will be foreign characters scrolling while this is being said)

The text box disappears and the screen begins to change from black to white - then it displays the Prologue screen.

I know it isn't much to go on, but I really enjoy feedback and criticism as my primary motivator - if you want to see more from me, let me know! Like I said, I don't think I'll be releasing a patch until I'm at least through the first couple of chapters - but as this is my first time trying to hack, who knows how far I'll get without your guys support!

I have a question as well: I intend to do things in the following order, is this recommended?

Basic Story Design

Character Design (Includes spriting, classes, base stats, growths, and animations, in that order)

Descriptive Story Design

Map Design

Support Design

Thanks ahead of time!

Posted · Hidden by Tangerine, January 4, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Tangerine, January 4, 2014 - No reason given

Introduction Storyline

Voiceover (if I can figure out how to do this): Darkness unwavering... a bottomless pit of a black, empty, void...lifeless, before man, before beast, before tree, there was darkness. But one question was eminent - if darkness was all, from where is light?

(There will be foreign characters scrolling while this is being said)

The text box disappears and the screen begins to change from black to white - then it displays the Prologue screen.

I know it isn't much to go on, but I really enjoy feedback and criticism as my primary motivator - if you want to see more from me, let me know! Like I said, I don't think I'll be releasing a patch until I'm at least through the first couple of chapters - but as this is my first time trying to hack, who knows how far I'll get without your guys support!

I have a question as well: I intend to do things in the following order, is this recommended?

Basic Story Design

Character Design (Includes spriting, classes, base stats, growths, and animations, in that order)

Descriptive Story Design

Map Design

Support Design

Thanks ahead of time!

This is your decision. Whatever style is comfortable for you. I personally did characters, story, maps.

I remember reading that you could have a string of chapters with one army, and then follow it up with another, using Lyn's mode chapters; but that going from one to the other, and then back, was exclusive to FE8. Have you tested this? Assuming you're right, is the only reason you can't have a convoy because you could then transfer items effortlessly between the two army's?

BTW, I have a particular interest in this because my own hack (not yet announced) requiers I go back and both between army's on opposite sides of the war as part of the story, and I assumed at the start that FE8 would have to be the ROM I was working with.

Edited by GreatEclipse