FE6 in Nightmare -- how does one "turn on" hard mode bonuses?

gringe

I've looked through the relevant chapters in the Army Editor module for Nightmare and am not seeing any relevant options for this. I mean, I've seen other people turn on the bonuses for the characters that lack them so I would assume it's possible...

I'm also not seeing any option in the Character module or the Chapter Data module but it's possible I've missed something.

BONUS QUESTION: Is there a way to make rapiers and horseslayers and such effective against nomads and troubadours/valkyries? This is another thing I'm not finding an immediate solution to.

Edited by gringe

I'm no expert on FE6 (don't even have modules for it) but I believe weapon effectiveness is essentially a list, so you would need to update the list of weapons horseslayer and the like are effective against, or possibly make a new list and point at it.

As for hard mode bonuses, they apply to characters who start as enemies when they're recruitable. So for NPC characters, you could probably just make them an enemy and hopefully not have any issues. For units who join as playable characters it might be harder.

I'm no expert on FE6 (don't even have modules for it) but I believe weapon effectiveness is essentially a list, so you would need to update the list of weapons horseslayer and the like are effective against, or possibly make a new list and point at it.

Hmmm, do you know how one edits that list? Is it something I can do in Nightmare?

As for hard mode bonuses, they apply to characters who start as enemies when they're recruitable. So for NPC characters, you could probably just make them an enemy and hopefully not have any issues. For units who join as playable characters it might be harder.

There are a few characters who start as enemies in FE6 who get no bonuses (Raigh, Douglas, Hugh) but I'd like to turn those bonuses on.

in FE7, effective weapons have an effectiveness pointer, which points to an offset that has a list of numbers. each number corresponds to a class against which the weapon is effective. i don't know if FE6 works the same way.

Edited by dondon151

you can probably just edit the stats of Ray and Douglas and whoever else needs HM bonuses just by calculating them manually (im pretty sure its 5 levels) and just changing their base stats in the character editor

Hmmm, do you know how one edits that list? Is it something I can do in Nightmare?

You can definitely do that in Nightmare... at least for FE7 and 8. As I said, I don't have FE6 modules, so I can't tell you if the modules actually exist. Look for something like an effective pointer editor or custom effective pointer modifier of some form.

There are a few characters who start as enemies in FE6 who get no bonuses (Raigh, Douglas, Hugh) but I'd like to turn those bonuses on.

Oh. Hm. This is news to me given I've beaten FE6 once and it was naturally on Normal. I'm... not sure what the trigger is then. Look for something like cutscenes they appear as NPCs in, maybe? Or anything unusual in their data. I realise I'm not much help here actually :(.

in FE7, effective weapons have an effectiveness pointer, which points to an offset that has a list of numbers. each number corresponds to a class against which the weapon is effective. i don't know if FE6 works the same way.

I see. Nothing I can do about it I guess then because there doesn't appear to be an effectiveness module. Oh well.

you can probably just edit the stats of Ray and Douglas and whoever else needs HM bonuses just by calculating them manually (im pretty sure its 5 levels) and just changing their base stats in the character editor

That would change their normal mode stats as well though, which I don't necessarily want. But if it can't be done, then I guess I'll have to adjust Raigh and Douglas' stats up a bit to compensate.

There might be a way to force hard mode bonuses... I vaguely seem to remember enabling it for Rei, Douglas and co.

Try comparing the data of characters with HM bonuses and those without and see if there's any difference. That's how I would have done it. I don't recall if the modules show all the data (they sometimes skip "junk" data, which may not be junk)--if they don't, edit the modules so they show everything.

EDIT

Percival's a good character to check, since he has bonuses in Chapter 15 and not 13.

EDIT2

Actually, or was it hardcoded? I think I may have gotten HM bonuses for Rei by plopping him in a different chapter.

Edited by VincentASM

the relevant value is in the character editor i believe

I'm not finding it unfortunately.

Interesting. Looks like these are two things I will not be able to edit with the current available modules. Well, can't have everything I guess. Thanks for the help, fellas.