Smirks' Sprites

Lt.Smirks

@mufanda- Thanks! (his name's Kristoff BTW)

@Alpha- Thanks for that! I'll use it as a reference. and I know I can make changes, it's just the pose is a bit different than changing his hair or face.

My internet went down last night so I cranked out a bunch of battle sprites.

Splices-dkD0KFG.pngqvcn3uw.pngY2b4BFi.pngfCDfx6L.png

Custom-jwIMuYI.pngoXUHQYI.png

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool, I really dig the pegasus.

I like the Pegasus too, but it needs to be a bit smaller to fit the wings, or the wings need to be larger... One or the other to give the illusion it has wings large enough to support itself.

Not bad for an animation, but the jump itself is pretty clunky. He doesn't pause for a second before he jumps, like he doesn't gather strength at the knees and crouch a little. Try looking at how the Mercenary/Hero do their jumps for a good ref. Also, the way he swings the sword looks kinda unnatural. I can't put it into words other than "it really defies laws of physics and movement" which might be true for lots of FE sprites, but this one just looks awkward. A warrior critical attack might be silly with the spinning, but it really seems like a speeded up version of what a warrior could do on a battlefield. The mercenary frontflip attack looks silly but he doesn't hang up in the air or anything like that.

Also, the sword slash looks a little weird. Instead of just instantly following through, how about having it get lodged in the enemy's body, like the Warrior's axe does, then do a pull out and jump back to original position?

Edited by Klokinator

Actually he does pause and crouch before jumping. (granted probably not long or deep enough)

And I don't think a plasma beam would stick in anything, it would just pass through.

I tried to base his attack roughly on his "backslash" move in SSB4.

He doesn't really seem to put his back into the slash. Right now it looks more like an awkward arm swing while still faceing away. Reference hector, mercs, brigands, or even fighters. Anyone swinging overhand really.Other than that, really solid. Cool concept, haven't seen much like it sprited fe style.

He doesn't really seem to put his back into the slash.

:awesome:

But seriously, the slash is lacking oomph. It feels like the part where he brings the sword up and jumps has more power to it than the actual attack.

Part of it is that the swing/smear part is pretty short (it's not even a 90 degree turn). Instead of angling the blade down so early, have him keep it up - preferably angled back - until the actual strike.

Part is that his hand remains stretched out in front during the strike. When making the cut, his arm should be at about the same angle as the blade.

UtYMxpU.png

I get that it's basically a lightsaber and probably doesn't need much strength put into it, but it still looks weak.

The recovery also looks unnatural, but it's probably just that it feels like something you wouldn't normally do with a sword.

(And, the recycling of the "unsheath" animation for the "sheath" one is really obvious.)

Edit:

LcKIWuZ.gif

Here's a suggestion.

Edited by vilkalizer

Definitely better. The down slash doesn't look round enough though. If you're swinging from the shoulders, the slash will rotate about that point. The edge of the slash should be an arc centred at the shoulder, not a line. You'll notice Vik's saber slash does this.

Edited by deranger

I think what bugs me primarily is that there isn't really any movement in the air and he moves quite a bit of distance

Like the arm would start behind and move to the front during the jump? I don't know, just something to give it a bit more movement

May I suggest that his critical would like, see the future, teleport on the back and do a back slash xD?

Also, pretty good animation. I liked Xenoblade Chronicles pretty much, and seeing a sprite of Shulk is... I don't know, awesome.

Regards.

Is getting good... ...and damnit, why do you and vilk have so much more spare time on your hands than me to sprite? XD (he says while trying to put his toddler down to sleep) >.>

...now I actually wanna try out Xenoblade. For the longest time I was thinking Shulk was some kind if Hulk rip-off before I saw the character. <_<

@errant- Never actually played the game :/

All I know of shulk is what I've read online and played in ssb4

Oh man I feel for you with the kid. Enjoy them while they're little though; they grow up fast.

Riku- I was gonna have him predict the future and teleport in his dodge. Frankly I have no ideas for the crit.

Merc lord- I have edited it a bit more and I'll post it in about an hour or so.

Thanks all you guys for all the great crits on this one, he's made some definite improvement.