Smirks' Sprites

Lt.Smirks

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it quite a lot too. Nice work Smirks!

...those who have mentioned the hand issue are right though. The hand seems off, In found myself trying to figure out where the thumb was myself... (Its the one right above the bottom finger right? >.>)

...hands are freaking hard to do though, in art in general. The hand pose is interesting, but the fingers need to be more defined and clearer which is which if possible. I would say, try to think about the fingers in segments, look at you own fingers to see where those go, and try to translate it to the hand sprite. :)

...major kudos though bud! You just keep getting better and better! :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

He looks a lot more surprised is the sprite than in the OA, which looks more serious/determined. I would remove the shines in his eyes and maybe slant his eyebrows a little more and bring them closer to the tops of his eyes. I think the mouth could use a couple changes to make it less :O and more like he's shouting something, the eye changes might help that tho. His nose seems a bit off as well, yours has a large, rounded end while the art has a more angled nose. Rest looks pretty good, but I feel like you might use a bit too much of the darkest shades.

I think the reason the fingers look kind of like sausages or play-doh is because the joints aren't very defined and he's also lacking nails. Check out the artwork again. His fingers are a little slimmer, the joints more noticeable, and it also hints at fingers nail just a bit.

Very nice sprite though. You've improved heaps!

XTzKdIm.png

Say hello to Mister Angry Eyes!

also I closed his mouth and made more edits to the fingers.

xvWSBgG.png

also here's a splice I did as a sorta personal challenge to use Elphin's body for something.

Oh nice, I'm usually not that into OA-turned-sprites but you went all out and this ended up looking badass. You and Lin gotta team up for FE8+. Dem cape colors.

I think one thing you could work on is his broken foot, though, it's messed up in the OA and I think you could fix it. The end of the foot coming towards us doesn't really attach to the ankle that we see, it's sort of like the wrap on his foot is because he broke it (idk is that the point) Anyway I think you could fix it by making the bottom of the foot follow the line of the leg more, or by showing a bit of his heel? Idk feet are hard and it's a bit hard to explain

QVZSboY.png

I think I fixed the problem with his foot mew.

LNAOqxK.png

And these are the results of trying to fix old sprites. New is on the left

SDsDJQ2.png

and a battle sprite remake (he's the purple haired guy in my sig)

2OXQxu0.png

And Saleh was so much fun I had to do another.

I am assuming the battle sprite on the right is the latest version right? It looks better to my eyes.

Some suggestions though, his arms seem a little oddly positioned at the moment. Like, you could hold you arm against your body while also with the other holding a heavy object out at a 90 degree angle... But you'd be horribly unbalanced. The Axe is likely heavy right? A diagonal angle would make more sense weight wise as well as being more visually appealing than the straight horizontal line.

To be clear, right arm OPV should likely be held further away from his body for balance. Left arm OPV is OK, but the Axe should be angled for visuals and weight balance.

Legs look good to me though. Design looks nice as well. Perhaps though the torso is facing the screen too much. Should be angled more to be 3/4 to follow the angle his legs appear to be at... Facing towards left OPV, whereas the earlier sprite was okay as the torso in general appeared more angled towards the screen itself which worked with his half turned pose...I guess?

...anyways, nice stuff as usual Smirks! I will leave the advice on the other non-battle sprites to those a bit better than me. They are all looking quite good to my eyes though. :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

I don't know about that Ross... His face looks really squished, his eyes are really animu, and it's hard to make out where his mouth ends. The shoulder armor looks kinda lumpy and the shading doesn't fit his style of armor at all, it's far too shiny. His back leg looks broken in that pose, I think his thigh needs to turn to (our) right. The unshaded parts looks like a good base, but the shoulder area and up has issues. Are these referenced freehands or traces?

ZZwf5aK.png

Here's more work done and his OA

Oh and by the way, I've still only had to add one tone to his original mug's colors.

@Toa- yeah but most of that would be problems with the artwork. You're right about the armor though, so I took care of that. I hope his leg will look better when I shade it, if not I'll fix it then. I trace the rough outline and then ref for details.

@Errant- Yeah the right is new. I'll fix up those problems you pointed out, thanks!

Edited by Lt.Smirks

This pose looks hilarious when you consider how his arm is angled. It's like he's tucking his right arm above his chest instead of just being there bending to lift the axe.

This pose looks hilarious when you consider how his arm is angled. It's like he's tucking his right arm above his chest instead of just being there bending to lift the axe.

Hey, I'm just pixelating, if you've got a problem with the artwork then take it up with Intelligent Systems.

I kinda like the dude from frozen (blonde guy whose name eludes me at the moment), that portrait has so much character.

Though it goes without saying that these are all pretty good. I'd certainly have no problems with looking at them if I saw them in a game.

Edited by Mufanda

9af131e8c1.png

Maybe you can use this as a reference as to where to go with that head. I obviously didn't finish the hair shading, but there's a block so that you'd be able to finish yourself...that is if you use this. (I messed with the hair palette, so I left my cubes for reference)

Just because the art is flawed doesn't mean you can't fix it. <3 That's the fun of doing your own rendition of something-- you can improve the artwork and take pride in that.

Edited by Alphα