Anyone else having issues with Firefox?

Anacybele

Okay, I've been using Firefox for years, ever since my stepdad had me switch to it after Internet Explorer started causing all kinds of shit.

But now I'm having issues with it too, and I'd never had any problems whatsoever before. I've been repeatedly getting update prompts which are bogus because it does nothing but install pointless programs onto my computer and cause other problems. But ever since I deleted all these programs and such, the update prompt has come back, and the security is all whack.

For just about every site I go to, including Mozilla's OWN SUPPORT SITE as well as my bank's website, I'm getting a window that says the connection is untrusted and SOMETIMES it lets me add the site to the exceptions list. My email doesn't load properly, and neither does Facebook. This has also affected fanfiction.net in a weird way. It loads, but I can't see images on it anymore.

IE is stupid for me too lately, but not as bad. It's just really laggy and unresponsive. There are no viruses or anything on my computer, I already had my anti-virus software (AVG 2014) scan for that. I've tried resetting and reinstalling Firefox. Nothing has worked. My stepdad is also having issues, and he has no idea what the problem is either.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Or was in the same boat but found a solution?

Edited by Anacybele

Huh, I guess it really IS the browser then, and not something AVG "missed" like my mom suggested. I hope Mozilla gets this bullcrap fixed soon, I really liked Firefox.

For now though, I guess I'll resort to Chrome. I need SOMETHING that isn't laggy as hell and isn't giving me stupid security problems.

But Chrome can't use add-ons and things like that. I liked my Weather Channel app, Facebook app, AVG toolbar, etc. Chrome is really simplistic and my stepdad said that it itself is an add-on.

I also remembered that I heard about another browser awhile back called Opera. It's supposed to be pretty good. I'm going to look this one up instead.

I don't have any issues with Firefox, but I'm on Linux so it isn't the same build.

I like Firefox more than Chrome, but this is a personal choice.

Edited by Naughx

But Chrome can't use add-ons and things like that. I liked my Weather Channel app, Facebook app, AVG toolbar, etc. Chrome is really simplistic and my stepdad said that it itself is an add-on.

Chrome does have addons. (Like a weather thingy)

Also I really doesn't like Chrome's theme manager. (A bit messy, you cannot really switch between installed themes.)

Edited by Naughx

I've been using Firefox pretty consistently for years, and I have never had the problems you described. I'm no software expert, but what you described sounds like a symptom of some kind of malware.

Yeah, Google Chrome is DEFINITELY better than Firefox. Faster, too.

ha! firefox 25 has better resource management (last i checked) and has been faster than chrome for a long time (it won't be all that noticeable on high-end systems, though).

start firefox in safe mode and see if your problems persist. (shift key + left-click when opening firefox browser.) if it works here, then it is likely that some addon is causing the problem.

clear cache and cookies, then start in safe mode again if that doesn't work.

try to reinstall firefox. thankfully, you can keep configuration settings and bookmarks, but you'll have to reinstall any and all addons.

if that doesn't work, disable your anti-virus for a temporary period of time. at your own risk. (you should be fine if you vaguely know what you're doing.)

if even that doesn't work, then the above not working, coupled with this:

I've been repeatedly getting update prompts which are bogus because it does nothing but install pointless programs onto my computer and cause other problems. But ever since I deleted all these programs and such, the update prompt has come back, and the security is all whack.

makes me feel that you have malware in your system. use whatever security measures you have at your disposal to quarantine and rid your computer of malware.

a switch to some other browser is unnecessary, probably. chrome is a fine substitute until you can get firefox working again, though.

advice: download avast! antivirus

google some articles detailing "hacks" you can do to firefox's about:config page. they'll help a lot with overall performance and utility.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Yeah, Google Chrome is DEFINITELY better than Firefox. Faster, too.

Its faster usually but firefox is far more secure.

Its really a matter of preference.

I've been using Firefox pretty consistently for years, and I have never had the problems you described. I'm no software expert, but what you described sounds like a symptom of some kind of malware.

This is my best guess

I been using Firefox for years & Have had no trouble with it, I have tried using Chrome but always find Firefox better, I am not sure whats happening to yours hopefully you find a solution for it soon.

I also remembered that I heard about another browser awhile back called Opera. It's supposed to be pretty good. I'm going to look this one up instead.

lolwhat, Opera is awful. It's kind of like the Linux of web browsers in that its supposed to function on all sorts of devices including the Nintendo consoles, only with all of the functionality of a graphing calculator. Actually less. Opera sucks.

Also Internet Explorer is the only web browser that is also a mahou shoujo, so there's that.

I never get tired of watching that!

Posting from Opera. . .the OLD Opera.

Anyway, sounds like the pop-ups are from things that aren't necessarily related to Firefox (like those toolbars you mentioned earlier). I think some research is in order, especially when it comes to downloading add-ons!

lolwhat, Opera is awful. It's kind of like the Linux of web browsers in that its supposed to function on all sorts of devices including the Nintendo consoles, only with all of the functionality of a graphing calculator. Actually less. Opera sucks.

linux is a pretty amazing os. if not for gamez and software on windows, in which steam support is growing healthily and wine fixes to a noticeable degree, i'd personally be using linux as my initially-booted os.

linux mint and ubuntu are incredibly user-friendly and are as easy to learn as mac's osx series.

when it comes to web browsers, the major browsers (chrome, firefox, opera, safari, internet explorer) function pretty similarly, with the exception being ie. only geeks will care about the benchmarks. at this point, it's all a matter of personal preference. i personally choose what allows me the most freedoms when it comes to customization.

I remember I had an interesting malware on Firefox... ads started appearing everywhere with much greater frequency and appeared on sites such as Wikipedia.. I Googled the problem and some malware installed a plug-in without my consent. I was able to just delete the plug-in and the ads stopped appearing.

So check your plug-ins to see if you have any which you did not install and perhaps update the ones your using and remove the rest to make it run quicker

–-

but then I do not have any plug ins for Firefox so nothing bogs it down

Edited by sifer

How dare you even say that. I'm mindblown.

I think you missed the point lol. I mean to say that it's like Linux in that it's meant to function on like everything, only it sucks. I don't think Linux sucks.

For just about every site I go to, including Mozilla's OWN SUPPORT SITE as well as my bank's website, I'm getting a window that says the connection is untrusted and SOMETIMES it lets me add the site to the exceptions list. My email doesn't load properly, and neither does Facebook. This has also affected fanfiction.net in a weird way. It loads, but I can't see images on it anymore.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Or was in the same boat but found a solution?

I only have that "untrusted" thing by using Chrome, dirty trick to take away enemy's users, I am not sure. Just remember that Chrome has problems itself. My firefox is fine, and sometimes I use Chrome. If you have problem with Firefox then it's time to use Chrome....or IE (lol). People say that Chrome is faster, it's a farce. They are equal in the term of speed. However, I do believe Chrome has better security (sometimes, too good for its own good).

not the browser, but probably some other app you have on your comp is causing issues with it

be careful with what you download and agree to "install" when browsing

the fake ads and prompts to dl bs into your hard drive are getting better at looking like real corporate stuff you use all the time (fake adobe, fake java, fake divx plugins etc)

then again you always have the option to wipe everything clean and try a new browser like netscape netxplorer

(seriously though, get a good antivirus/malware software)

Although I can't give any morr advice than already offered, I would like to clarify how the messages are caused. The messages are usually a consequence of outdated certificates for authentication and therefore the connection becomes "untrusted". See http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/connection-untrusted-error-message#w_certificates-and-identification .

I do have to admit it's rather weird though that the services of Mozilla itself generate the same error message...

• 4 weeks later...

You likely have a problem with either malware (as prior pointed out) or your TLS certificates are broken. I had to reinstall my TLS certificates because of a network that I accessed at school redoing it. This could very well be your problem.