your music taste throughout the years

Aizenberg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm-not-racist-but racism?

edit: also, if you think i'm a troll because i pointed out something you said that is wrong, i'm sure you're gonna have an awesome time. welcome to the forum.

You posted a snarky gif and proceeded to passive aggressively call me dumb. Maybe less being a troll but rather a jerk for no reason.

As for the Eminem thing, well, fuccboi is kinda' on to something; people respect him because he is an infamous white rapper which is a genre generally dominated by black people. I don't mind some of Eminem's stuff, but I also don't mind some other rapper's stuff and I wouldn't really have a reason for it, especially not "cuz he's white".

Maybe it comes down to the lyrics/style? Eminem's fast spitting style sets him a bit apart from a lot of rap. And his lyrics, well, I'd go as far as to say he has some pretty good ones but I don't know enough about other rapper's lyrics to go as far as to say they are better. Though, that being said I know a lot of other rappers (ie/ Lil Wayne" have a lot of rap lyrics that either don't make sense or are strictly about 'pussy, money, weed'.

Edited by Viviphy

I suppose race/skin colour is a very big factor. I mean I'll no doubt relate to someone of asian descent moreso than a puerto rican, however I think after educating myself on hip-hop class ends up being something i can relate to, far more than just race.

Em is most definitely in the top 10 of many people's list of rappers and his skill is nothing to question, especially in his older albums. But on the other hand his lyrics aren't particularly friendly either (Kim???) and don't stray too far out from pussy, money weed. At the same time his shock factor might just be appealing because it says fuck you to the whole PC nature of popular music.

Wayne does make sense, but most people have probably only been exposed to his pop singles which give them that impression, he ran the rap game for a few years.

I didn't like music at all when I was younger.

Then I started listening to classical music at 13.

Afterwards, I started to hear soundtracks at 14. Videogames, films, anime, everything possible.

I'm not informed at all about the current tendencies in music.

You posted a snarky gif and proceeded to passive aggressively call me dumb. Maybe less being a troll but rather a jerk for no reason.

As for the Eminem thing, well, fuccboi is kinda' on to something; people respect him because he is an infamous white rapper which is a genre generally dominated by black people. I don't mind some of Eminem's stuff, but I also don't mind some other rapper's stuff and I wouldn't really have a reason for it, especially not "cuz he's white".

Maybe it comes down to the lyrics/style? Eminem's fast spitting style sets him a bit apart from a lot of rap. And his lyrics, well, I'd go as far as to say he has some pretty good ones but I don't know enough about other rapper's lyrics to go as far as to say they are better. Though, that being said I know a lot of other rappers (ie/ Lil Wayne" have a lot of rap lyrics that either don't make sense or are strictly about 'pussy, money, weed'.

lil wayne was the greatest rapper alive at one point. he fell off like a malaysian plane but that won't change the fact that he's dropped at least two albums that are considered hip hop essentials. saying lil wayne's lyrics are all "pussy, money, weed" is pretty ignorant and misinformed to say (though it is true his subject matter's not exactly varied nowadays. he said he's gonna adress that in his final album coming out this may but i'm not too excited), not to mention eminem's lyrics aren't exactly all about teenage angst and love. it is true that eminem's technical skill is pretty fucking impressive and he's considered one of the best, but content-wise, he has also fallen off, very hard.

the truth of the matter is there are a lot of white people whose only real exposure to hip-hop is through eminem and other "white people-friendly" artists like him. they categorise him as "the only rapper who talks about real shit" and generalise awfully about the rest of an enormous genre of music.

you know, i've had endless discussions about the way hip hop and hip hop culture is perceived by outsiders and i'm honestly fucking tired. i have long since stopped reading youtube comments. i apologise for the way i reacted to your comment, but it's just my standard reaction to people saying that kind of thing. i assume the worst.

Edited by fuccboi

I've become attached to all genres except for country. All the bands I've ever listened to have really been diverse with no real correlation to how old I was.

In no order: Sugar Ray, Gold Motel, Muse, Streetlight Manifesto, deadmau5, Weezer, Amy Winehouse, Dash Berlin, Young the Giant, Armin van Buuren, Lupe Fiasco, Panic! at the Disco, LMFAO, Less Than Jake, Fun, some Coldplay, Jason Mraz, Lady Gaga, The Eagles, The Neighbourhood.

Classical composers get their own special mention - Rachmaninoff (#1!!!), Scriabin, Chopin. So much variety within these 3 (despite all being romantic/post-romantic). More people need to hear Rachmaninoff's second and third piano concertos.

In my childhood my parents listened to 80s music and techno (Faithless, The Prodigy). Most of the songs from the 80s were by Depeche Mode. My parents and me got every studio album except for Exciter from 2001. It is the band, which influenced me the most. And it is great that this band still exists and makes fantastic tunes.

5-8:pretty much Video Game soundtracks, I really liked them tho

10: Metallica, Motorhead.

12: Started listening to other metal genres than thrash/classic metal

14: Pretty much everything now metal, classic, folk, and some others.

• 1 month later...

Always been a fan of rock, and listened to bands like Linkin Park, ACDC, Bon Jovi and the like. Stopped listening to Linkin Park when it started to become more and more mainstream (it always was, but not to the extent it is now) as the change in music style didn't appeal to me anymore, they used to have harder stuff than now back then.
And then I've fallen in love with metal and punk, although I don't exactly listen to only a sub-genre of those, but rather I try out stuff from different ones. Current favorites would be Subway to Sally, Eisregen, Powerwolf, Rise Against, Eluveitie, Amon Amarth and Sabaton.
Aside from that video game music, anime music, and touhou covers. Vocaloid as well at times, but only specific ones (the voices are often a bit annoying, there are great examples as well though)

When I was 11-12 I listened to a lot of 80's rock and metal, especially AC/DC, Kiss, Black Sabath, Rush, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. I can still appreciate a lot of that music but I don't really listen to it by choice (some exceptions).

i know i'm being nit-picky, but i do feel obligated to point out, due to my love for "dad rock," that these are actually all 70s era bands.

the truth of the matter is there are a lot of white people whose only real exposure to hip-hop is through eminem and other "white people-friendly" artists like him. they categorise him as "the only rapper who talks about real shit" and generalise awfully about the rest of an enormous genre of music.

you know, i've had endless discussions about the way hip hop and hip hop culture is perceived by outsiders and i'm honestly fucking tired. i have long since stopped reading youtube comments. i apologise for the way i reacted to your comment, but it's just my standard reaction to people saying that kind of thing. i assume the worst.

my least favorite comment people make about hip-hop right there. it's so bullshit in so many ways...

edit: aaaahhh just noticed how old this thread was.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

0-3: VHS sing-along tapes?
3-8: Went to Sunday School. I didn't pay attention to the lyrics (lotta latin and stuff), so I got into orchestration
9-12: I poured through the NOW CD's in an attempt to have something to talk with my classmates about (they weren't interested in my Star Fox 64 high score runs). I gave all the boy bands and such an honest effort, but I quickly became snarky at people who liked them. Then, I guess because of my love for orchestration, I started acting in a lot of musicals. One of those was a singy version of "A Christmas Carol," and I was obsessed with all the songs Tiny Tim (my role) was in well after I was done with it. Also, whatever our middle school band played (poorly, btw).
13-14: My dad was a big Rush fan, so he'd be like, "Sit here and listen to 'La Villa Strangiato' with me" and I would. I took drum lessons, so listening to Neil Peart was mandatory. He also tried to get me into some random skate punk bands (I guess that's the term) and the Cranberries. He made desperate attempts to instill grunge into me, bought me flannel and everything. None of his tastes stuck with me past 14, although I do still like Kurt Cobain's voice.
15-16: Some classical music. My teacher gave me a CD with some of his favorites (He said something like he thought I could appreciate it. I didn't really listen to much music at this time, but whatever, I played it over and over for months).
17: RATM, NIN, Tool, SOAD. The few heavy bands/projects on the local station that I thought were trying to do interesting stuff. Music went from the thing I laughed at (like a B movie) to the thing I was interested in again. I don't really like these bands anymore, but my dad does, so cool.
18-present: Mastodon, Converge, DEP, and Melt-Banana. Never tire of 'em. I try to listen to everything, especially new releases garnering buzz. I haven't ever been able to wrap my arms around rock or country, but I hope to some day. I had a pretty intense post-punk phase. Rap and hip-hop are new-ish to me, but I've found that they make a great companion for when I do logic puzzles, which is often (I guess the abstractness of the logic puzzles is balanced out by the realness of the music, or something). Kanye and OutKast are cool, but I'm starting to delve deeper. Basically, my favorite music is more extreme than before, but I like more popular stuff now too. Always wearing headphones.

Edited by BuddyBoy