your music taste throughout the years

Aizenberg

Initially mostly metal songs and videogames musics and movie soundtracks.
Now I listen to everything that I objectively and subjectively consider good.

What I consider good following the precedent statements are:

1) unknown musics\songs that deserve
2) videogame and movie musics that have good instrumentation, rythm and a theme if possible

3) the song\music brings me back to good memories
4) arranges that improve over the music I heard before

What I consider bad following the precedent statements are:
1) musics that are very famous and commercial and sound generic
2) sucky remixes (99% of them are shit neverthless)

3) that dung spread as music that comes from x-factor and the likes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...

1-3: Almost everything

4-6: Still almost everything

7-8: Everything but rap

9-12: Really epic movie music, chiptune, and some dubstep (Very little, though)

13 (Now): Any video game music, any epic movie music, and some rock. Also really good Japanese music too

6-11: Pop music and 80's rock and roll, because it's what my friends and parents listened to, respectively.

12-15: Ah, this is when I discovered the musical love of my life, A7X. They got me into the whole heavy rock/metalcore genre and are my favorite band to this day.

16-Now: Still like metalcore and the like, but now my taste has evolved to appreciate almost every niche and band within the realm of rock (except fucking Pearl Jam. Damn they are so bad). Also, through my taste in games and introduction to anime watching, I have come to really enjoy orchestrated rock and j-rock, respectively.

Umm, it started with a Barney CD when I was like three, but the the CD skipped one day and terrified me, so I didn't listen to music for quite some time.

When I started taking video gaming seriously around six or seven, I was really into Gameboy tunes, Zelda Link's Awakening in particular. I also listened to 90s Pop in this time, and profusely enjoyed it.

Pre-teens were weird, I was a pseudo wannabe goth or whatever, who was too poor to afford cool clothes, so I denounced North American music, and listened to anime OSTs (Saiyuki in particular), and other cool stuff my sisters downloaded from the early 2000s internet. I also really liked Final Fantasy. Oh god, let's never talk about my pre-teens again.

Around high school, I went to a stoner's school, so I wanted to fit in without getting high (as I had no money), so I took a lot of my parent's CDs and listened to them. I was also briefly ashamed of video game music, so these four years were dominated by The Beatles, David Bowie, Rocky Horror Picture Show and other things. I liked Classical Music, but my exposure to it was minimal.

Senior years to graduation, video game music came back, and I sort of backed away from The Beatles, but still listened to them, but not as much.

Post grad slob: Hello torrenting! At this point, I fell in love with classical music and video game OSTS, and David Bowie is still rocking my world.

Right now: Hard to say what I have more on on my iPod. I have a lot of video game OSTs, some from games I've never played, but at the same time, I have that 111 Anniversary Deutsche Grammophone CD thing on my iPod as well, so classical and video games forever! Although I will listen to anything at this point without judgement. My latest obsession is Garbage, as I downloaded their entire discography recently.

Metal has been dominant for me ever since I was a child. I've branched towards other styles such as classic rock, rap, electronic music and "comedy" music here and there but nothing major or long lasting.

Frankly I don't listen to many bands and may listen to the same song several times in a row just because I like it. Right now it's either Rammstein or Turmion Katilot.

My parents played a lot of Beatles around the house, and I really loved them. They also had an album called There Goes Rhymin' Simon (Simon from Simon & Garfunkel), and I used to sing along to it while I was swinging on the swing set outside. So 60s/70s pop music had a really big presence in my childhood. Also some prog and harder rock like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, though it wasn't played around the house as much. My mom got really into a couple country artists at one point like Faith Hill, Sheryl Crowe, and Shania Twain, and I thought Shania's music was pretty fun. Both my parents were really into John Cougar in the later 90s, and to this day I still think of Ocarina of Time whenever I hear some of his music, since they always had music on while I was playing video games in the living room. And, speaking of Ocarina of Time, it also made me think differently about video game music, and I loved listening to the music in that game and figuring out the songs by ear on piano.

When I got into my early/mid teens I started to pick more music for myself. The first bands I got really into were Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, The Fall of Troy, and Explosions in the Sky. EitS introduced me to the post-rock scene, and I was really into that kind of music for a while, and just instrumental rock in general. That got me back into playing piano heavily, and I started writing my own stuff (which wasn't very good), so it kind of reignited my passion for music. After that I started heavily consuming music from filesharing sites, and kept doing so until they really cracked down on places like Mediafire a few years ago. From about 16-20 I exposed myself to tons of genres, ranging from rockabilly to black metal, and started to really get a feel for what I do and don't like in music.

Now I pretty much only listen to dream pop, shoegaze, and video game music. I love bands like The Cranberries, Cocteau Twins, Asobi Seksu, My Bloody Valentine, etc. So that's pretty much the niche I've carved out for myself over the years. Anything with a lot of atmosphere, I love, so there's a few black and doom metal bands I like too. I also like the raw energy and emotion from when I listened to a lot of hard rock and post-hardcore, and I like bands like Touche Amore, La Dispute, and some midwest emo if I'm in the right mood for it. I don't listen to post-rock nearly as much, but when I do it's mostly Japanese bands that do more technical/experimental things like Mouse on the Keys and World's End Girlfriend, instead of Explosions in the Sky-style crescendo-driven stuff.

So basically, never really took it seriously until around 15 or so and now I listen to a little bit of everything, with the most love for dream pop and shoegaze and atmospheric stuff in general! And also video game soundtracks, lots of video game soundtracks.

edit: oh and i've recently gotten into "slowcore" which is the dumbest name for a genre holy fuck, but bands like red house painters and codeine are pretty great. honestly my last.fm probably tells more about my taste in music then i could ever do: http://www.last.fm/user/acidfordinner

Love Red House Painters! Basically every artist that was on 4AD up until the 2000s was pure gold. If you're into "slowcore", definitely check out Carissa's Wierd, although they're more "sadcore" (a lot of their lyrics are really depressing), though those two genres seem to overlap a lot. Edited by dreamcrash

I used to be really into rock and metal. I'll still listen to it if, like, it's around, but I'm way more into folk and country (I'm convinced that whether something is 'folk' or 'country' depends entirely on the listener's political viewpoints, followed by whether or not they like the specific song) nowadays.

EDIT: Also I have a long-standing personal love affair with Kanye West's Power.

Edited by Parrhesia

• 4 weeks later...

When I was really little I would listen to the Backstreet Boys, The Police, The Beatles, and The Cars all the time when I would be dragged on car rides to school, stores, and other places. This went on until I was around 9, and I kinda ditched music after that, but once I turned 12 I discovered light rock and alternative and got into stuff like Lana Del Rey, My Bloody Valentine, Rob Thomas. Over the past year I've leaned more toward harder rock, punk, metal, and goth stuff such as Evanescence, All Time Low, Halestorm, and Get Scared.

Edited by Agent Shade

7-14 I was heavily into Blues, Classic rock, Metal and Punk

15-18(now) Pretty much got into more progressive rock bands and into the "indie" scene I guess. At the same time I heavily got into Hip-hop from Black Star to ignorant stuff like ASAP Rocky

I was around 9 when I first expressed a real interest in a particular genre or band, the band in question being Sum 41. I couldn't get enough of it and started to buy CDs when I had the chance. Shortly after that, I might have been 10, I discovered Daft Punk and really loved listening to it, which I still listen to now as an adult.

When I was 11-12 I listened to a lot of 80's rock and metal, especially AC/DC, Kiss, Black Sabath, Rush, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. I can still appreciate a lot of that music but I don't really listen to it by choice (some exceptions).

It was at age 13 that I started to get into a lot of post-hardcore music such as Silverstein, Saosin, Billy Talent,, Circa Survive, The Fall of Troy, AFI etc. and what is still to this day my favorite band - Alexisonfire.

I still listen to a good amount of post-hardcore music now and I did through all my teen years. However, I also listened to a LOT of punk music through my teens that I still like, too. Bands such as early AFI, Anti-Flag, Bad Religion, Propaghandi, LA Dispute, Touche Amore, Against Me!, The Misfits etc.

The past few years I started listening to a lot of indie/folk music and gained a huge appreciation for the Beatles.

I listen to pretty much anything except for modern pop/mainstream music and country.

My top bands listened to on iTunes now are:

Alexisonfire

Dance Gavin Dance

Modest Mouse

Protest the Hero

The Beatles

Arcade Fire

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Daft Punk

Touche Amore

Pink Floyd

When I was young, when I wasn't listening to just what was being played - a LOT of Elton John and Gordon Lightfoot in my house - I listened to rap music. I was born in 1980, so this places me right in the beginning of the New Jack Swing era. I also tended to listen to a lot of pop.

As I hit my teens, like a lot of people my age, I went back and forth between rap (though I was growing increasingly tired of some of the blatant misogyny and other crap that was coming out; this was when G-Funk came about) and alternative rock. This is when Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots were hot, Green Day just came out with Dookie, and Soundgarden and Alice in Chains was what we listened to when we wanted to show we had "cred" with the music geeks.

Then I found Zeppelin. That was almost a life-changing experience. That was what I listened to throughout most of my later teens.

Since then, my tastes tend to go back and forth between rock, rap, and lately, a lot of electronica and other music that can best be described as a fusion of sorts. That's what's fun about music lately, is that a lot of it betrays standard labels. My listening tastes careen between extremes day by day; one day, it could be Bon Iver, then it could be old Wu-Tang Clan, then it'll go towards Grum, then Bob Segar, Sally Shapiro, Danger Mouse, Daft Punk, really old Journey albums... it goes on and on. I don't like a genre as much as I like a general sound, which I can't really describe because I don't have the music knowledge to do so, but I generally like harmonies, on the lower end of the spectrum, with a lot of guitar harmony and even some piano rock. I also prefer no vocals for the most part, especially in my more electronic music.

I was around 9 when I first expressed a real interest in a particular genre or band, the band in question being Sum 41. I couldn't get enough of it and started to buy CDs when I had the chance. Shortly after that, I might have been 10, I discovered Daft Punk and really loved listening to it, which I still listen to now as an adult.

When I was 11-12 I listened to a lot of 80's rock and metal, especially AC/DC, Kiss, Black Sabath, Rush, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. I can still appreciate a lot of that music but I don't really listen to it by choice (some exceptions).

It was at age 13 that I started to get into a lot of post-hardcore music such as Silverstein, Saosin, Billy Talent,, Circa Survive, The Fall of Troy, AFI etc. and what is still to this day my favorite band - Alexisonfire.

I still listen to a good amount of post-hardcore music now and I did through all my teen years. However, I also listened to a LOT of punk music through my teens that I still like, too. Bands such as early AFI, Anti-Flag, Bad Religion, Propaghandi, LA Dispute, Touche Amore, Against Me!, The Misfits etc.

The past few years I started listening to a lot of indie/folk music and gained a huge appreciation for the Beatles.

I listen to pretty much anything except for modern pop/mainstream music and country.

My top bands listened to on iTunes now are:

Alexisonfire

Dance Gavin Dance

Modest Mouse

Protest the Hero

The Beatles

Arcade Fire

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Daft Punk

Touche Amore

Pink Floyd

how are those bands not mainstream? most of those are hugely popular

Modest Mouse

Gods...

I remember when these guys were still wee baby indie men trying to make good on Sub Pop records.

Im starting to get into some more folky Nordic acts like Wardruna (which is the best thing ever) and guys like Asgeir Trausti.

how are those bands not mainstream? most of those are hugely popular

I was mostly referring to all the pop and hip hop garbage that is on most popular radio stations. People are so nit-picky~

I was mostly referring to all the pop and hip hop garbage that is on most popular radio stations. People are so nit-picky~

4VwIkpA.gif

you listed literally the single most popular band in the world but at the same time you said you hate mainstream music. i don't know, man. i should've guessed you're just kind of dumb though. :smug:

Edited by fuccboi

Second day on the forum and I already found the trolls, new record.

Oh, and I didn't say I hated mainstream music, I said "I listen to pretty much anything except for modern pop/mainstream music and country."

Edited by Viviphy

Second day on the forum and I already found the trolls, new record.

Oh, and I didn't say I hated mainstream music, I said "I listen to pretty much anything except for modern pop/mainstream music and country."

In that case you're listening to modern mainstream music anyway, RHCP can still be considered modern, as can Daft Punk. Anyway, you probably mean pop music akin to Katy Perry

Yes, I suppose they could be considered modern still. But yea, that's more so what I was trying to say as stated in my above post. I should have refrained the use of the word mainstream, how silly of me. I'd rather discuss the appreciation for music rather than argue what is or is not mainstream anyways.