• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

self-teaching can work just as well

yeah I know I have half a notebook filled just learning/practicing jp grammar and kanji so far

but with self-teaching you don't really get the full exposure to the language like you would with a class or a tutor and there isn't like structured review/problems to work on(like things to write or translate) unless you go out and do it for yourself but even then you probably won't make a curriculum for yourself.

Like there's no one that I really know is on my beginner level of JP that will learn with me that I can try having a conversation with unlike ppl in a dedicated class! And no one to really correct your mistakes unless you just know someone that can.

Also hard to pin down how much you're retaining doing self-tutoring, if your pacing is working out and stuff

But since I only aim to read it self-teaching is going ok. If I studied 5 Kanji a day for the next 2 years I'd know the 2000 essential ones!

I LOVE PRINCE'S DAY I LOVE THE THRONE SPEECH I LOVE HIS MAJESTY THE KING I LOVE HER ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCESS OF ORANGE I LOVE HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN I LOVE ALL THEIR EXCELLENCIES THE MINISTERS

EXCEPT ARD VAN DER STEUR WHY IS HE BREAKING DOWN THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM

oh right you already know you're a nerd :V

(ღ˘ ⌣ ˘ღ)

what no japanese is easier... except katakana because fuck katakana

But katakana are like the easiest...

dw im learning french at school currently and i still don't remember any of it

Pourquoi ? :(

OH MAN TOFAY IS MY GAOVVRITNE PETOSN'S BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY

IT'S ALSO PRINCE'S DAY TODAY

like when the fuck am i gonna use ヲ

fuck ヲンホ ???

It'd actually be ウォンホ, since ヲ is only used for the particle (so basically never).

did u know that korean has no f

it devastates me because fffff is such a nice sound

Greek used to have no F...

If your entire life is a lie then would you love Wonho

LMAO

It'd actually be ウォンホ, since ヲ is only used for the particle (so basically never).

MY POINT STANDS THAT ヲ IS USELESS HAHA

if it were the particle wouldn't it be in hiragana though

except for fringe cases like NES games where they used katakana because it was easier to write in 8-bit fonts or something like that?

or robot speak

Edited by PKLucas531

MY POINT STANDS THAT ヲ IS USELESS HAHA

if it were the particle wouldn't it be in hiragana though

except for fringe cases like NES games where they used katakana because it was easier to write in 8-bit fonts or something like that?

or robot speak

Well, I didn't contest your point either.

People sometimes write words in katakana to indicate that they're pronounced differently than normal. Robot speak is an example, but I've also seen it used for exaggerated emphasis, insults (like バカ), coarse language (like オレ) and other stuff. But what are the chances someone's going to pronounce を like that?

Sometimes katakana seem to be used for reasons I can't quite comprehend (like, FE10 consistently writes カギ [key] in katakana). But that's a fringe case.

I've played a couple of Japanese NES games, but I've never seen all-katakana before!

nerds

Thanks.

You too, I guess.

yeah I know I have half a notebook filled just learning/practicing jp grammar and kanji so far

but with self-teaching you don't really get the full exposure to the language like you would with a class or a tutor and there isn't like structured review/problems to work on(like things to write or translate) unless you go out and do it for yourself but even then you probably won't make a curriculum for yourself.

Like there's no one that I really know is on my beginner level of JP that will learn with me that I can try having a conversation with unlike ppl in a dedicated class! And no one to really correct your mistakes unless you just know someone that can.

Also hard to pin down how much you're retaining doing self-tutoring, if your pacing is working out and stuff

But since I only aim to read it self-teaching is going ok. If I studied 5 Kanji a day for the next 2 years I'd know the 2000 essential ones!

well that's a thing, requiring a lot of self-discipline too... but I think it can work too.

I wanna read, write and speak it. ;w; But I'm not good with self-discipline so I have to wait for when I can get something like private lessons because I'm also terrible at groups l0l

(ღ˘ ⌣ ˘ღ)

But katakana are like the easiest...

ur the easiest

seriously though....... fuk u ur a nerd

well that's a thing, requiring a lot of self-discipline too... but I think it can work too.

I wanna read, write and speak it. ;w; But I'm not good with self-discipline so I have to wait for when I can get something like private lessons because I'm also terrible at groups l0l

yeah I'm not the most self-disciplined so tbh I took it on to see if I can prove I can do something like that

I do an hour a day minimum skipping only weekends and I've been at it for like a month so woohoo

I can't really say anything I want to yet beyond "X is Y" and stuff like that but I'll get there eventually