• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

Well, to put it in my own words, as that might be better:A standstill is first off defined as in time that is unused, meaning that a chunk of time seems wasted as both parties don't do shit during it.If there is war, then there obviously must be some evil intent towards the other party, as you wouldn't declare war on a land you don't want to crush or have to gain anything from. The only way to neutralize this evil intent would be to await a better opportunity, since not always will attacking swiftly help. And if one party has a good opportunity, then the other will obviously lack it, as both parties having an advantage at the same time doesn't make much sense.As such, that both parties did nothing for a bigger amount of time seemse unreasonable, considering at least one would want to act.Nontheless, many wars had such cases, moments where absolutely nothing happened, despite the war not having ended yet.I hope you understood the continuity part, that if one party strikes, the other will retaliate with more force, and so on. Such a continuity causes polarity to exist between the two parties. That means that both parties, if equally powerful, would end up destroying each other, as every advantage for one party is a disatvantage of similar scale for the other party.That however is only possible if both attack and defense only were different in how their forms are executed, their power would have to be the same. However, since defense is stronger, such polarity becomes void. What I mean by that is that defense and offense are completely different, and the only polarity between them exists in the concept of decisions alone. One party wants to attack earlier, the other later, that is true. However, if one party wants to attack the other later, that doesn't mean that the second party would want to attack the first one earlier, but that it wanted to be attacked earlier, since the difference between defense and offense still applies.Meaning, due to defense being advantageous towards offense, even if one party has an advantage at the moment, it might have to give up on that advantage, since it would lose the advantage of defense, a far more important one. As such, both parties would prefer to be in the defending side, and s such, both might await a later opportunity, since none has the guts to actually attack, despite being in advantage or not.I hope that it made more sense like this

That actually makes a ton of sense, thanks!

That actually makes a ton of sense, thanks!

Seriously though, synthesizing Clausewitz is a pain in the ass. I never really understood why people make their works as fancy as possible, so much that a layman can just give up on it. I'm used ot philosophic works now, butat first deciphering them was just a nightmare

A what thread?

Well, they did get us all, you know, that.

You know the Shounen genre? HxH would be my favorite series in the genre, as it combines good battle choreography with deeper meaning behind the story

Seriously though, synthesizing Clausewitz is a pain in the ass. I never really understood why people make their works as fancy as possible, so much that a layman can just give up on it. I'm used ot philosophic works now, butat first deciphering them was just a nightmare

I don't know, I just thought that was the dialect of the time. I apologize that you had such trouble with it, but your translation is much appreciated.

Naughx I feel so loved.

You know what I feel right now? Full. I just had dinner, it was tasty.

You know the Shounen genre? HxH would be my favorite series in the genre, as it combines good battle choreography with deeper meaning behind the story

Uh...Civilization 5: Shoshone! That's the closest I know.