• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

/late to the subject but I always say ahhhhhhhhhhhh instead of aaaaaaaaaaah simply because I like how ahhhhhhhhh looks better x3

Meanwhile I say both ohhhhhhhhhh and ooooooooooh, but I say ohhhhhhhh for "oh" and oooooooooh for "ooh" so that way I/others can slightly tell at least that one of those is meant to be spelled just one o and the other one is meant to have multiple o's

I feel like they express different things.

ahhhhh makes me think about being tired, mostly. While aaaaaaah is about fear/excitation.

Also, hey !

Welcome back Freohr

Thank you Sol

I'm not sure if it made no difference or made me feel worse

I feel like they express different things.

ahhhhh makes me think about being tired, mostly. While aaaaaaah is about fear/excitation.

Also, hey !

Ooh =o Well, I still use ahhh for both ^o^

hi!

How was the nap, Fre?

WELL it coulda been longer, I think~ Actually I'm not even sure if I even successfully fell asleep or not

No problem.

That's no good, did you have to work today?

Nope, tomorrow night (just 3.5 hours those days as well thank you dad for low availability on some days for a position they desperately needed more people for)

At least you can try to rest

like, winding down

Oh believe me, a lazy person like me is going to do just that ^~^

/late to the subject but I always say ahhhhhhhhhhhh instead of aaaaaaaaaaah simply because I like how ahhhhhhhhh looks better x3

Meanwhile I say both ohhhhhhhhhh and ooooooooooh, but I say ohhhhhhhh for "oh" and oooooooooh for "ooh" so that way I/others can slightly tell at least that one of those is meant to be spelled just one o and the other one is meant to have multiple o's

You are playing with my linguistic mind. This will be the topic of my overthinking for the next few hours minutes.

Nope, tomorrow night (just 3.5 hours those days as well thank you dad for low availability on some days for a position they desperately needed more people for)

Ahh I see, are you a 2nd or 3rd shift, or do your times vary?

Indeed. We actually got snow last night/this morning.

Oh, neat! I'd like for it to snow where I am already (>.<)

Ahh I see, are you a 2nd or 3rd shift, or do your times vary?

They vary

I have

Tuesday: 19:30-23:00

Thursday-Saturday: 10:00-19:00

*was too lazy to type a bunch of am/pms*

Edited by Freohr Datia

All right, here is my theory.

The H in 'ah' contributes to the pronunciation; without the H it would be 'a' and pronounced /eɪ/, the H makes it /ɑː/.

The sound /eɪ/ therefore, is not just the A, it's the A under the influence of the H.

This is not the case with 'there'. Even if it was spelled 'ther', the pronunciation would be the same. The final E does not contribute to the pronunciation.

It's different with 'oh' and 'ooh' because the pronunciation would stay the same if the H wasn't there. Historically 'oh' was spelled 'O', but modified to 'oh', it would seem for aesthetic reasons after the example of 'ah'. 'Ooh' didn't originate until a much later stage of English, so with 'ah' and 'oh' already serving as well-established precedent, it was only natural that it was spelled with H.

I think what is most important is that the H in 'ah', 'oh', 'ooh' does not change the pronunciation if lengthened, since it is always silent. In 'there' it's different: the final E is silent, but multiple E's cannot be silent; <ee> is always pronounced /iː/. So if I read 'thereeeeee', I don't read the intended pronunciation /ðεːεːεːεːεːεːr/, but I read /ðεriːiːiːiːiːiː/.

But yes, purely technically, multiplying the H in 'ah', 'oh' and 'ooh' does not lengthen the vowel. It also doesn't add an extra syllable to the word though, as is the case with multiplying the final E in 'there'.

Edited by Hattusili I

Nah, it's fine, the universal times make it look more official.

Some people might not be very comfortable reading it though

This is not the case with 'there'. Even if it was spelled 'ther', the pronunciation would be the same. The final E does not contribute to the pronunciation.

Personally I think the e at the end of there makes it pronounced like thair instead of ther (as in err or her)

Personally I think the e at the end of there makes it pronounced like thair instead of ther (as in err or her)

Probably, yes. I would at least imagine that the first E in 'there' would not be long without the final E at the end to balance it out, so to speak.

But my conclusion about the pronunciation of 'thereeee' still stands (think of 'there' with a short E, and a second vowel sound as in 'wheeeee' added at the end).

This is quite true, I have no problems with it though, I've gotten more used to it, than when I was younger.

ye

well at least i didn't have any problems with it so far but didn't get back to really reading yet so i wouldn't know >w>

Ah, you should've tested it out, before you stopped, but that's good to hear all the same. <w<

I'm actually more used to it myself. I always confuse am and pm.

All right, here is my theory.

The H in 'ah' contributes to the pronunciation; without the H it would be 'a' and pronounced /eɪ/, the H makes it /ɑː/.

The sound /eɪ/ therefore, is not just the A, it's the A under the influence of the H.

It's different with 'oh' and 'ooh' because the pronunciation would stay the same if the H wasn't there. Historically 'oh' was spelled 'O', but modified to 'oh', it would seem for aesthetic reasons after the example of 'ah'. 'Ooh' didn't originate until a much later stage of English, so with 'ah' and 'oh' already serving as well-established precedent, it was only natural that it was spelled with H.

I think what is most important is that the H in 'ah', 'oh', 'ooh' does not change the pronunciation if lengthened, since it is always silent. In 'there' it's different: the final E is silent, but multiple E's cannot be silent; <ee> is always pronounced /iː/. So if I read 'thereeeeee', I don't read the intended pronunciation /ðεːεːεːεːεːεːr/, but I read /ðεriːiːiːiːiːiː/.

But yes, purely technically, multiplying the H in 'ah', 'oh' and 'ooh' does not lengthen the vowel. It also doesn't add an extra syllable to the word though, as is the case with multiplying the final E in 'there'.

I'm starting to really apreciate you.