• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

SHINPICHU

YOU AND LUX CAN FINALLY FACE OFF ON A SKYPE CALL PROBABLY

sounds like me @w@

>v>

Yeah, this is pretty extreme.

Though that sems like a French Academician's dream comes true.

And refusing to learn English ends up hurts them more than anything in the help, since, whether you want it or not, it's essential in today's world.

It does. If I didn't know English, I wouldn't be able to access the majority of the info on the Internet.

So the complaint was deemed unfounded because the menu was in Italian instead of English?

Shouldn't the menu have French translations for all the Italian names then?

At this point, it seems like some sort of contempt of English has been ingrained in the culture (funny since they accuse the English speaking provinces of holding contempt toward Québec and and the french language) that the problem is if it's written in English. People on the state tv/radio apologizes for using English, but not for using other languages. Massacre English words, but take care to pronounce words from other language right (or apologize for their mispronunciation). They even sometime goes as far as to say: ''In Canada they call it 'y' '', because obviously, English speaking Canadians provinces are in another country >>

I'm available any time after 2 EST

idk about you or Lux though

or anybody else

lol, like they would join @w@

At this point, it seems like some sort of contempt of English has been ingrained in the culture (funny since they accuse the English speaking provinces of holding contempt toward Québec and and the french language) that the problem is if it's written in English. People on the state tv/radio apologizes for using English, but not for using other languages. Massacre English words, but take care to pronounce words from other language right (or apologize for their mispronunciation). They even sometime goes as far as to say: ''In Canada they call it 'y' '', because obviously, English speaking Canadians provinces are in another country >>

But then why was the complaint deemed unfounded if the menu was in violence of the law for not giving French translations?

It makes little sense from a juridical standpoint.

The complaint should have been deemed unfounded because it said English words were used, which was not the case, but that still doesn't change that the menu violates the law.

However...

I don't like this kind of exclusive nationalism.

But then why was the complaint deemed unfounded if the menu was in violence of the law for not giving French translations?

It makes little sense from a juridical standpoint.

The complaint should have been deemed unfounded because it said English words were used, which was not the case, but that still doesn't change that the menu violates the law.

However...

I don't like this kind of exclusive nationalism.

I was wrong on some of the details. What happened is that the 'Office Nationale de la Langue Française' sent a letter to the owner of an Italian restaurant saying that his menu wasn't in French. The Office was allerted initially because someone complained that there was the English word pasta on the menu. The thing is that the whole menu was entirely in French as far as the descriptions of the menu items were, but the names of some items were in Italian (though someone at the Office said that pasta was English). The owner defended himself by saying these are the names of the meals in Italian and there was no real equivalent in French, but the Office wanted him to remove all non-French words. The government finally had to intervene and make amends to the law so that the name of ethnic food on restaurant menus wasn't considered a breach of the law.

(still, the initial complaint was by an everyday person who took offense with pasta but had no problem with insalata capreses)