Eliwood. Underrated?

Florete

As some of you may know, I've been doing ranked runs recently. On my just completed one, on the final chapter, I had a shocking realization; Eliwood was my most reliable lord. Now, before you go "3l1w00d zucks0rs!" keep reading....

Eliwood had been somewhat skill screwed, but he was still fairly accurate and Durandal dished out a lot of damage, occasionally doubling. All 3 lords were around the same level, but Hector couldn't hit/double and Lyn couldn't damage except to magic users. All this was occuring even in the previous chapter. Eliwood could kill most anything, Lyn and Hector only if they could damage/hit. Eliwood was the only one who could hold his own against Nergal, the dragon, and Limstella as well.

I still hold my feeling of Lyn>Hector>Eliwood for now, but I no longer see Eliwood as trash. Prove me wrong.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not nearly as flashy as Hector, but he definately does not suck. I'd go as far as to say he's better than Lyn, since he's actually durable. I'm not saying Lyn is bad, just frail. The only thing I can think of is his Durandal being heavy. But that's endgame, so it doesn't really hurt his usefulness. He has Anima affinity as well, so that helps him.

But Lyn has more Skill than Eliwood. Eliwood is just the mediocre balanced guy. And no one likes the mediocre, balanced guy. Look at the Soldier class.

This in a nutshell is my opinion of the topic

The main reason I don't like Eliwood is that Durundal is way to heavy for him, severely hurting him in the final chapter.

Though the main reason he's hated is because he's average, neither bad nor good, just average.

I wouldn't say that Eliwood is better than Lyn. While Eliwood has better defense, he dodges less often. Nothing about him sucks and nothing about him stands out either.

Durandal is heavy; Eliwood can't double the dragon with it on the final chapter while Lyn and Hector can with their respective weapons. WTF.

Edited by Black Luster Soldier

Eliwood is underrated by quite a few people. He has convenient supports with Hector and several other characters that give him a healthy defense and avoid boost. He also gains lances after promoting which are a big improvement over swords and better than bows, IMO. And of course he also gets a little extra movement and aid compared to Lyn and Hector as well.

Honestly, Eliwood is better than Lyn in my book.

It's funny. I've never before seen anything except "Eliwood sucks," but, now that I've made this thread, people are suddenly coming out and saying that he isn't bad at all. Interesting....

It's funny. I've never before seen anything except "Eliwood sucks," but, now that I've made this thread, people are suddenly coming out and saying that he isn't bad at all. Interesting....

Well, this topic can be considered a "safe zone" because usually, people are afraid of being shot down and bashed for saying that Eliwood isn't bad.

IMO, Eliwood is good, he doesn't stand out in any particular stat, but he doesn't suck either.

Edited by Fireman

Being unable to carry Durandal without speed loss and having 24 speed cap as well as having 9 Con...Yeah, not great when you think about it.

Oh noes, a chapter of having a weapon that weighs you down! Purely devastating!!! Not only that, once that chapter is complete, the game is done, meaning Eliwood has plenty of time to suck even further! That really brings Eliwood down!!!

Seriously, the Durandal doesn't put that big a dent into Eliwood's usefulness. He really only has to use it on the Dragon, which is slow anyways.

Point of this topic, Eliwood is one of the most underrated units in the Fire Emblem series, if not the most.

Sending Eliwood to fend off against the Fire Dragon with Durandal has got to be a joke. Despite Legendary Weapons to be really heavy in this game, even Hector and Lyn can double the Fire Dragon whereas Eliwood can't. Eliwood average out 22/24 Speed. Durandal weighs like 16 fucktons? Subtracting his average speed and Durandal's 16 fucktons = -6 resulting Eliwoods speed loss to 16 Speed? Theres no way Eliwood can double the Fire Dragon on HHM. I probably might give him credit since Anima supports are impressive but not so great.

Sending Eliwood to fend off against the Fire Dragon with Durandal has got to be a joke. Despite Legendary Weapons to be really heavy in this game, even Hector and Lyn can double the Fire Dragon whereas Eliwood can't. Eliwood average out 22/24 Speed. Durandal weighs like 16 fucktons? Subtracting his average speed and Durandal's 16 fucktons = -6 resulting Eliwoods speed loss to 16 Speed? Theres no way Eliwood can double the Fire Dragon on HHM. I probably might give him credit since Anima supports are impressive but not so great.

Can't double the dragon? OH NOES!!!! That is ruinous!!!! He can't double one particular enemy!!!!

Seriously, one enemy won't determine your characters' usefulness.

Sending Eliwood to fend off against the Fire Dragon with Durandal has got to be a joke. Despite Legendary Weapons to be really heavy in this game, even Hector and Lyn can double the Fire Dragon whereas Eliwood can't.

Sending Lyn against the dragon is the real joke here. With maxed strength, she can only do 16 damage (two shots of 8). Eliwood can do more damage than that with one hit from the Durandal.

No one says Eliwood sucks. But compared to the other lords, he does. As a regular unit, he's fine.

what he said

Sending Lyn against the dragon is the real joke here. With maxed strength, she can only do 16 damage (two shots of 8). Eliwood can do more damage than that with one hit from the Durandal.

But Lyn can critical the Dragon with the Sol Katti though, even though the rate isn't very high.

Really, if how well you perform against the Fire Dragon determines how good a character is, does that mean everyone besides Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Canas, and Athos suck?

Are you assuming that I'm basing character performance on how good he/she does against a final boss?