Dumping RAM from FE: Awakening?

VincentASM

Celice brought this to my attention: it seems people have recently been dumping RAM from 3DS games, such as Pokemon X and Y, Super Mario 3D Land. At the moment, I'm busy finishing a project, so I haven't researched this in full.

But from what I've gathered, you can use the Gateway 3DS to dump a game's FCRAM (Fast Cycle RAM), where a lot of the game's code is stored for quick access. I imagine it's a bit like how the Wii stored a lot of raw code in the RAM, including growth rates and whatnot.

While I don't yet know *how* people have done it (I'm assuming with some kind of program), the facts point to it being possible. At TCRF, people have been discussing obtaining unused sound effects and other assets from Super Mario 3D Land.

My question is: does anybody have any knowledge about this subject area and/or would anybody be interested in dumping RAM from Awakening, so we can all study it?

The main purpose of this exercise would be to see if we can read the growth rates and maybe poke around for any unused content, or just plain rip stuff from the game X D

I have interest, but I'm staying the hell away from Gateway.

People's 3DSs have been bricked by hidden brick code in the gateway card if the checksum wasn't correct. Though I assume that some people have patched that code out by now... I'll wait until someone gets this done before experimenting with my own.

Celice brought this to my attention: it seems people have recently been dumping RAM from 3DS games, such as Pokemon X and Y, Super Mario 3D Land. At the moment, I'm busy finishing a project, so I haven't researched this in full.

But from what I've gathered, you can use the Gateway 3DS to dump a game's FCRAM (Fast Cycle RAM), where a lot of the game's code is stored for quick access. I imagine it's a bit like how the Wii stored a lot of raw code in the RAM, including growth rates and whatnot.

While I don't yet know *how* people have done it (I'm assuming with some kind of program), the facts point to it being possible. At TCRF, people have been discussing obtaining unused sound effects and other assets from Super Mario 3D Land.

My question is: does anybody have any knowledge about this subject area and/or would anybody be interested in dumping RAM from Awakening, so we can all study it?

The main purpose of this exercise would be to see if we can read the growth rates and maybe poke around for any unused content, or just plain rip stuff from the game X D

Here is the tool to run on Gateway, if anyone is interested.

I have the knowledge and I'm willing, the issue is that my 3DS is fully updated so none of the exploits will work on it. Someone with a 3DS of Firmware 4.5-5.0 needs to perform the RAM dump. I can walk someone through if they have the tools but not the knowledge.

I'd be very interested in getting exact growth rate values, etc.

Edited by MP2E

The bricking actually only happens when you go into diagnostics on the GW menu. If you don't do that, you are safe.

saying that bricking "only" happens on a fairly important menu option/set of tools isn't exactly the best selling point for the device

saying that bricking "only" happens on a fairly important menu option/set of tools isn't exactly the best selling point for the device

Going in the diagnostics menu gives you a 1 in 5 chance of bricking your 3DS.

Brickway 2014

VVWfJMQ.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

Brickway 2014

One out of five doctors recommend bricking your 3DS (The other four think that that first doctor is a quack).

Brickway 2014

So basically:

Your Unit:

- Iron Sword

- 10 HP

- 100 Hit

- 10 Dmg (x2)

- 0 Crit

Enemy Unit:

- Iron Sword

- 20 HP

- 100 Hit

- 5 Dmg

- 20 Crit

Only way to attack is at Range 1. Do you take the risk?

Brickway 2014

i stand corrected: obviously this can be marketed as the world's most expensive and least lethal game of russian roulette

well, that or presumably some kind of hyper-"masculine" gaming experience with REAL RISKS and screaming muscular men on the boxart (the sequel comes with fucktons of mountain dew and doritos crosspromotions)

Edited by bookofholsety

i stand corrected: obviously this can be marketed as the world's most expensive and least lethal game of russian roulette

well, that or presumably some kind of hyper-"masculine" gaming experience with REAL RISKS and screaming muscular men on the boxart (the sequel comes with fucktons of mountain dew and doritos crosspromotions)

I can see IGN's headlines now:

"In gaming news, Smith and Wesson has released the sleeper hit of the season: a god damned gun."

I'm one of the poor fools who's 3DS was bricked because of Gateway (Gave me an excuse to buy a sexy XL). If it didn't brick I would've loved to data mine Awakening for you guys

I think Gateway is offering service to fix some of them if you contact them.

Dunno though. I just don't want to deal with it.

if the whole thing with an innocuous crucial function on hardware of their own design causing bricking is anything to go by, i wouldn't exactly be lining up to trust Gateway with unbricking hardware they didn't design

on the other hand it'd be tempting to send it in anyway solely to see how hilariously wrong it goes

I wouldn't touch Gateway with a 10-foot pole. I value my possessions, and the risk of bricking the 3DS is too great IMO.

Plus, when the Gateway came out I wasn't the least bit impressed by it. Only holds a single ROM at a time, doesn't work on fully updated 3DS. It's a first attempt at a flashcart, but not an enticing one.

I'm one of the poor fools who's 3DS was bricked because of Gateway (Gave me an excuse to buy a sexy XL). If it didn't brick I would've loved to data mine Awakening for you guys

Gateway has offered to fix your system. It's easiest if you had manually backed up your NAND, but I believe someone may flash the NAND you need back, even if you never backed it up yourself.

Gateway is understandably a little slow to do this, but various members around the scene are offering their hands to reflash your system, if you're willing to accept the shipping costs, and the trust of others. GBAtemp has a few such members available if you were interested :)

To give a basic idea of the ease of access, once the RAM is dumped:

Edited by Celice

Gateway has offered to fix your system. It's easiest if you had manually backed up your NAND, but I believe someone may flash the NAND you need back, even if you never backed it up yourself.

Gateway is understandably a little slow to do this, but various members around the scene are offering their hands to reflash your system, if you're willing to accept the shipping costs, and the trust of others. GBAtemp has a few such members available if you were interested :)

To give a basic idea of the ease of access, once the RAM is dumped:

Yes, when we have the RAM... we have everything ! :D It's just a matter of playing the whole game through and taking snapshots frequently and you can have every resource, figure(number-wise), and formula down.

It's almost as good as an ASM dump. Almost.

Can the Gateway modify working RAM? As in, could we modify RAM while Awakening is running? That could be really useful to prod at the game code :P Maybe we could find some unused weapons/items/animations?

Edited by MP2E

Can the Gateway modify working RAM? As in, could we modify RAM while Awakening is running? That could be really useful to prod at the game code :P Maybe we could find some unused weapons/items/animations?

I believe that is currently possible, yes :) I mentioned elsewhere, but there's some python script stuff able to be used via the same exploit. I dunno if it's able to be active when a game is running (so the RAM is dynamically accessible), or if you essentially tell it at X address do Y thing, but if my understanding is correct, one is currently able to modify the RAM.

Hopefully new work can be uncovered throughout the year, with the custom games being able to be ran (smealum has injectable Virtual Console titles working, and homebrew is also coming out in closed but steady progress).

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of smealum, he has out-right stated that he is able to decrypt any current 3DS ROM and explore its contents, of which most Nintendo games have been using the same bare-bones container format as seen in various GameCube, Wii, and DS games (before were only indirect statements where others inferred he had such capability). Hopefully we'll have some more public stuff available within the coming months.

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/441614304270614528