Confused about spell animations

Agro

Welp, here goes. Trying to insert the Shaver animation for the first time ever and it is not working.

Here's the rundown of what I did:

Repointed item table

Used item slot 0xA0 for a new weapon, "Wind" and made the thing accordingly

Repointed spell association table

Took over slot 0xA0 (didn't realise this was unnecessary until later) to make room for the Wind animation

Set "Animation used" to 0x3F

Opened up FEditor, went to use Spell Animation Inserter, and typed in index 0x3F

Loaded up animation script, no errors, hit "Terminate Animation"

FEditor told me that the spell had been inserted

Went to test the animation--it doesn't play in game, though the actual battle scene is triggered. No HP reduces during animation, but HP reduces after the battle is finished.

Have I missed a step? Did I take too many? Help a guy out here, please :(

Edit: on closer inspection it seems that changing the spell animation to anything in the Spell Association editor doesn't work. Other magic such as Fire (the original one) work just fine. Could the problem be elsewhere, then?

Edit 2: Got it. Seems that the game doesn't like it when I put things in the spell association table past a certain value (likely to be the default). Which is fine, since there's a lot of junk entries anyway.

Edit 3: It looks like putting 0xFFFF No animation for the table terminates it. So, I just changed that one to something else and it reads past 0x7F fine. Thank you, Alfred Kamon and rational thinking.

Edited by Agro

Edit 3: It looks like putting 0xFFFF No animation for the table terminates it. So, I just changed that one to something else and it reads past 0x7F fine. Thank you, Alfred Kamon and rational thinking.

Rational thinking helped way more than me

Anytime, Agro~ =)