Weird AI quip: Broken weapons and boxed in Snipers.

If the AI breaks its weapon it will try to either run away, or simply stand adjacent to another (allied) unit.

Now, it's known, if the AI can box in a Sniper, they will box in a sniper.

...But if the AI also manages to break a weapon...

they will let the Sniper go in order to stand next to another ally. This behavior is of higher priority than "trap sniper" [which I assume isn't "Trap Sniper" it's "attack without counterattack".]

OVQcZmN.jpg

The female myrmidon [one of Larcei, Ayra or Mareeta, irrelevant though] there was where my Sniper is the turn previous-- my Sniper was on the fort.

This does mean the little problem of deploying and then getting your sniper(s) boxed in can be solved by itself.

I noticed this with those annoying unarmed StreetPass teams.

As for applying it to save Snipers, will your Sniper survive long enough? Even if they can, I don't know if I want to wait 20+ turns until an enemy breaks their weapon : P

Say your Sniper has pretty much maxed stats and is only training for Bow exp. You'll probably have enough Avo that nothing will ever hit you, and a 30% DG rate, so it'll probably take about 100 turns for an enemy to break their weapon. That can be skipped through in a few minutes, and you'd lose more time than that if you were trying to build Bow exp with Galeforce, messed up and got trapped, and had to reset. So I'd say it's pretty useful.

Just to confirm, does missing cost weapon uses? I forget how it works in this game.

Eh, I would just reset straightaway to be honest. Who's to say there are only 4 enemies that trapped you? If there are more (and this has happened, when I was training a Sniper), you've got another 100 turns to wait and I'm not patient enough to wait the first 100 turns >___<

Just to confirm, does missing cost weapon uses? I forget how it works in this game.

Eh, I would just reset straightaway to be honest. Who's to say there are only 4 enemies that trapped you? If there are more (and this has happened, when I was training a Sniper), you've got another 100 turns to wait and I'm not patient enough to wait the first 100 turns >___<

Misses don't count. Dual Guards do.

Most training/grinding scenarios are at points where all enemies charge [Like LB3, pictured.]-- clearing out the other enemies takes up most of the turns anyways.

You can just kill all but the four closest enemies. You're locked to range 2, not weaponless.

Switching: I once had the misfortune of having a GK behind me and getting boxed in on a river. I know it's a niche scenario, but switching isn't always possible. There's also a decent possibility that you're soloing LB3, have an untrained Chrom behind you, and switching him out front would get him mauled.