Masquerade Part 2: Army of Darkness

Nanami Touko

"Wow, there are a lot!" Valha exclaimed with joy, picking through the available options until she came upon a light blue one of the sleeveless coats. The smaller harpy found hers to be quite snug and cozy, and while she didn't know what the tundra had to offer she quickly doubted anything could be as effective as this for a harpy. "You did a good job! This is the sorta stuff that we need... I really like this one a lot," she told Clarine. Valha looked to Ingverd and Lanos, slowly smiling as both of them ended up offering to pay. "Aww, you guys... you're the best."

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmm, 100 gold, huh?" He felt his purse, and sighed slightly. It was a lot lighter than it had once been but... He pulled out the gold and walked up to the table, setting the gold down. "Alright. Lets do this. Can't hurt, I guess."

One arrow?! Really? How... I give up. First Healer Girl, then this. Sonia wasn't sure whether the mercenaries were just that strong or Marius was just that weak (maybe both?), but at this point it was just getting silly. And the fact that she went down in a single hit as well... I'll probably be a liability in Karstell. Whether that was the case or not, she decided that she had seen enough of the arena and set off toward the inn once more, taking a number of detours in an attempt to clear her head.

"Honestly, to come all the way up here after me..." Kadin formed a faint smile, but failed to keep it, not in his best mood despite Maja's antics. "I'm sorry for leaving so suddenly... I shouldn't have let you alone there. I can't imagine how confused you must--" Kadin couldn't finish his sentence before a very physical sting ran across his back.

*SMACK*

"Ow!" Kadin arced his back against the pain and put a hand to massage it. "What was that-" As the girl's comments came into place, Kadin quickly realized what that meant. He looked down to his arms and torso, asserting how physical he was. "You're right, I've returned to my body --in a sense. I can't become ethereal again." Kadin brought his hands to his face, and it was his, he realized.

...Which was a discovery not in his favor in these times. "Ok, I have to ask you two if you have anything I can cover my face with." Kadin frowned at his predicament. "You're not safe around me here. If anyone else sees me, they might think I forged my own death. That will be very troublesome. We should go."

"H-huh? You're really... 'all here' now, Kadin?" Maja looked in contemplation. "That's fantastic..." Her awe was short-lived, no thanks to Kadin's new concerns. "Something to cover your face? Uh, I don't have my hood on me right now, maybe you could use a scarf?" It came to her that she did not actually buy a scarf while shopping. Oh well, it was just one piece of clothing, she could probably pick one up right as they were leaving. "Oh, here." She picked up her pasty green sash from her pocket, handing it over. "It's a bit teared up from the arena fights... you know, you were there. It should work?"

Beggars can't be choosers. Kadin took the sash and wrapped it around his head, much like a bandit scarf. With his face from the base of the nose down covered, he hoped nobody would recognize him. Just to be sure, he messed up his hair some. "When we get out, I'm going to need something better. Maybe a helmet. I am with a working mercenary group, after all." He made his way to lead the two girls. "Well then, let's find a way out."

As Kendeall wandered around town, he noticed an as-yet unfamiliar face in the fortune teller's hut. This bothered the axeman somewhat, since he was hoping to get a quick fortune before he left. However, as if triggering some sort of epiphany, Kendeall raced to the nearest shop - which he really hoped was a tome emporium - and walked up to the counter.

"S'cuse me, but do you do re-enchantments on tomes here? I have this Fire tome handy, and while it isn't worn out too badly, I feel like I'm going to need something a bit more... eh, sturdy... for the next little bit." Kendeall stated as he leaned in just a bit closer. God, he hoped he was in the right spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Payment

"Well... Alright." There was no reason to argue over who was paying, even if Ingverd wanted to. It would've been rather petty anyway. He put his money away, as Clarine gladly collected Lanos'.

"Enjoy your coats! And if you've got more mercenary buddies in town who need coats for this place you're going to, send them over. The last winter was especially calm for us, so I have a lot of stuff left over. It feels kinda weird selling winter coats in the middle of spring, but I'm not one to complain." She chuckled to herself, and picked up the box, ready to take it back into storage. She figured she wasn't selling any more coats like these, not soon.

"Anything else you two want to look at as long as we're out shopping? I'm thinking of turning in and going to relax soon, but I'll hang around until you're both done." He kind of felt like a Dad again... Hmm, this needs to stop, really.

Fortunes Told!

"Good! Sit down, and relax your mind! I am to impart what I see, into it..." The man closed his eyes and focused hard, humming slightly, a flat, monotone note. The room darkened again, and the orb shone a bright blue light, turning the walls a similar colour. Suddenly, images flew into Tristram's mind, horrible creatures bound together by magic and thread alike, part monster, part human, part old world abomination that he most certainly did not recognize! They were sturdy, strong, huge, and slow, swinging claws and fists alike, with no heed for their own safety! He was fighting them atop his horse, amidst the tundra-- and suddenly, the images stopped. The room returned to normal, and the orb turned clear, back to glass, as if no magic had ever flowed through it. "And there you have it... I know not what you have seen! Only you shall. And that is how it shall remain! Do not speak to me of what I have imparted... I simply hope you are satisfied with whatever knowledge you have gained... I will only say one thing. Anything you have seen pertains to your future! No matter what it was."

Like a Bandit

With Vriska still slightly stunned that their ghost friend was now entirely corporeal, it took her a moment to register what he was asking for. By the time she had, he already had it, and she couldn't help but snicker. "You look a lot more dumb with that on... Like some sorta thief, hahaha. I think they'd stop you more over that than your face. Well, whatever... Let's go, before angry lady comes back. Seriously, what was her damage?" Vriska huffed, and made for the front door, a little surprised by the lack of guards in the place, but whatever. They had things to do, she supposed, now that they'd found Maja's ghost... Or did they? She didn't really have anything left to do, now. Huh. How actually disappointing...

Unfortunately...

As much as Wendla did deal in magic, she had little to no idea of how to enchant it to be stronger. So, when Kendeall bursted into her shop, she was a little bit taken back. "Er... Sorry, sir, but I only sell the stuff! You'll want to find Burke. He's an elf, knows how to make weapons stronger, but also knows how to work with magic... As big as Felson is, I think he's the only one who does. Got plenty of blacksmith's, but he's the only enchanter. Sorry!" She shrugged, and held a half-hearted smile. "Oh, he's just a few blocks down, by the way. Got a big ol' sign out front, Burke's Blacksmithing. Easy to find... You'd think he'd put up a sign for his magic stuff too, but I guess he doesn't get a lot of people lookin' t'make magic better. It's already pretty great!"

Edited by I have opinions

Kendeall grumbled; he was hoping he wouldn't need to go elsewhere for that stuff. Still, at least the shopkeeper was nice enough to let him know he was in the wrong place. "Alright, thanks then, I guess." Kendeall sighed as he went a few blocks down to where the shopkeeper said that Burke was.

Entering the blacksmith's workplace, he hoped to find someone waiting for him, almost. Kendeall shrugged it off; he figured that Burke was busy. "Hey, uh... excuse me, but I'm looking for a guy named Burke?" Kendeall called out hoping that he'd get some sort of quick answer.

"Thank you!" Valha spoke to Clarine before she headed to the back of the store. "Anything else? Not really... I could do with turning in for the day, too. Maybe a bit of food, but other than that I think I'm good. How about you, Lanos?"

[spoiler=The Long Walk Back]

"It will have to make do. If anyone asks, I'll say it's a burn mark I'm not comfortable showing." Kadin quickly replied to Vriska's comments. I'd rather not alert too many people of my existence, I don't know what is happening in full. This could be bad. "You're right, though, I should drop it as soon as I can. ...I'll get a helmet, it'll be easier to explain." He mumbled, making his way outside.

There, Kadin made some effort to recall the usual guard shifts for that time, he noted how low the sun was setting, and made a turn past Iuliana's manse. "There should be a shift occurring soon, if we go for that side of the wall, we won't be noticed." Kadin guided the girls through the Noble's rung, making a pause every time he noticed movement. Soon enough, they hit one of the walls encasing the rung, at a side distant enough from any entrances that they wouldn't be noticed. "This area is only truly patrolled past the Vespers." Kadin pointed out. "A duo of guards might pass through at earlier times, but during a shift this side has no entrances to be worried about."

Maja quickly followed Kadin and Vriska. With the 'ghost' safe and sound, she saw her mood gradually improve. "Alright, we'll be going now. Kadin, we should be leaving tomorrow, okay? So make sure you're doing ok in your... new body." She was still a bit awed by how Kadin went through that change. What does that mean? Is it because that woman is important to him? Is he bound to this world now? The thoughts entertained her until they hit a wall, Kadin explaining they should leave from there. "Oh, alright, um..." Maja raised a foot against the wall, trying to climb up just as she did to enter the rung.

As quick as she tried, Kadin raised a hand to signal her. "There's no need, Maja, here." He crouched by the floor, tracing his finger against the ancient design's details until it reached a rather dusty bump. Dusting off with his hand, Kadin made shown hinges indented to the floor. Backing up a few steps, he dusted the floor again, revealing a small hoop of metal attached to the floor. To its side, a peculiar symbol was imprinted to the ground, somewhat resembling Felson's crest, on a small, circular frame. "Ah... the ring." No... I don't have it anymore. It should be... home. Kadin let out a sigh, almost defeated, taking a vacant glance at his right hand. Then something came up to him.

Maybe... if I could will that lance... Kadin closed his eyes, making an effort to stay focused. He thought of that ring's importance and its form. Suddenly, feeling himself drained of breath, he opened his eyes, meeting a thankful sight at his ring finger. He could feel some fatigue, but his (ghastly?) instincts led him well. "It did work... I'll keep this in mind." Making a fist, he fit the ring to the symbol like a key, giving it a twist that was followed by a clicking noise. Quickly, Kadin pulled the ring up, lifting the trap door open and revealing a rather dark, dusty passageway. "This was prepared to give the nobles a way to leave the rung without catching any attention possible, should times become that dire. It was built before my time as a Minister, but each of us is given a 'key' to its lock." Kadin signals with his ring finger. "Only Ministers and the Master of the Guard are passed down its location, because at its worst, it is a security breach. Like so." He gestured for the girls to drop in. "Ladies first."

"What?" Maja was a bit indignant when Kadin asked her to stop, but the sudden exposition over a secret passageway was rather beyond her. "Uh... you're sure it is safe? Seems like nobody even uses that." She said, a bit retracted upon seeing it. Still, it didn't take long for Maja's usual trust in Kadin to kick in. "Right, I'm going in. Uh, where is this going to take us, anyways?" She hopped in, the fall being a tad shorter than expected, her forehead still in level with the floor, she'd have to crouch a bit thanks to her height.

"It should be, nobody should actively use it, but it is of no poor construct. It is part of Felson Castle, after all." Kadin reassured, "It should take us to the slums. From where we end up, it's a decent walk to the stairs leading to upper Felson." He then made a gesture to Vriska. "Quickly. If you could light up the path with your magic, that would help as well."

----------------------------

Being the last to enter, Kadin made sure to close the trap door from inside, hearing another clicking noise. Good. That should be enough. Leading the two girls, Kadin made further into the maze-like passageway, ever sloping downwards, eventually giving way to a spacious if somewhat uncanny hallway. All its doors actually cemented shut, sans the one at the opposite end from where they came. "From what I understood. The council decided to make use of some of Felson's unused rooms here, and filled all other openings to the used rooms with sand and cement. Perhaps it is for the best. Structurally." Kadin gave the passing comment while giving a thorough look to their surroundings. Honestly... I expected it to be more unkempt, more dusty. Maybe one of the others were using it, after all? He only hoped they wouldn't cross paths with someone there if that were the case.

Thankfully so, they reached the end of it sooner than later. Kadin guided the group through a final set of one-way doors, bearers of a mechanism similar to the trap door, and they were finally in the slums, at an alley just as isolated and uncanny as the hallways felt. "Right..." Kadin eyed the surroundings, just to be certain. "I don't hear anyone. Let's go." As the final door closed and merged back to Felson's characteristic architecture, Kadin led the girls to the stairs posthaste.

"Gee, Kadin, did we really need to go all that way?" Maja asked, taking a deep breath in as her sight met the upper rung. "We could have just jumped the wall, really..." Despite her usual trust, she started wondering why Kadin would go to such length not to be seen.

"...I am sorry, Maja. I really do not wish to take the chance with the other ministers, now that I no longer am ethereal." Kadin said, his head hung low. It was actually the first time he's seen Maja complain at him, and right after Iuliana's troubles... This... do they feel I am hiding myself too much? Both my person and... He clenched his first, for the first time taking note of his own skin. "Sorry for having taken so much of your time today, I'll stay close to the guild now. I'll get myself prepared, now that I'm flesh. I'm sure I could use an actual weapon." He brought a hand to remove his hastily made mask. "You said you are going to the tundra, right?" Kadin paused, gaze fixed, as if thinking something over. "...I will go with you. I should take some time away from Felson." He admitted.

Maja quickly brightened up at his answer, a short hop in celebration. "That's great, Kadin! Count on us when you need to, please." She took her purse, picking a handful amount of coin. "I don't know if there's enough for a weapon, but it should do for clothing? You didn't just materialize money with you, right?" Maja tilted her head, actually entertaining the thought for a moment. "You should buy Makin a gift, then! She's the boss and we both owe her a lot." Her eyes almost seemed to sparkle.

"...Right. Thank you." Kadin replied, hesitant still, but willing to take the offer. "When I am done, I should go to the inn. I will not disappear this time." He bowed, turning away and parting ways to find a proper armory or cloth shop.

Maja couldn't help but sigh as she watched Kadin leave. "Well... that's that. At least he should be more open to me right now... and won't be throwing disappearing fits!" Maja tried to sound positive, but a part of her was tired from that day's work. At least, until a thought returned to her. "Oh! Vriska? Remember you said you could try training with me? Are you up for it, or do you have something else to do?" Maja quickly turned to look at her friend, some energy coming back to her.

"Thanks," Lanos told Clarine before following Valha. "There's actually something I want, but I can get it myself. See you two later." He left the shop and made his way back inn. As he was going up to his room he noticed and axe and a sword leaning up against one of the doors. Intringued he walked up and noticed a note. He picked it up and read it; apparently Joel had decided to quit being a mercenary and left his stuff behind for them to use as they wanted. Well, that makes things easier. Lanos picked up the sword and made his way to one of the armories. He felt a little bad about immediately selling Joel's sword but he did say they could use it as they pleased.

With more gold in hand he found his way into Trevor's Trinkets. He browsed a bit before settling on a ring. It looked a bit aged but that didn't really bother him and he brought it to the counter. The price was very steep and would leave him nearly broke. It cost so much because it was imbued with magic that would make him stronger. Normally he'd be skeptical but he'd already seen and used a decent amount of similar items. He bought it and slipped it on one of his claws and indeed he did fell a tad stronger. He thanked Trevor and made his way back to the inn and into his room. He grabbed his book and sat down on his bed and began to read it, making sure to pay attention to it now that he could make use of the information in it.

Sell Iron Sword (J) +, buy and use Aged Energy Ring, use Lancebreaker Manual.

Return

"Alright. Have fun with whatever you've got to do, Lanos." He waved the bird man off, and then took Valha's claw. "Well then, my lady. Shall we be off to the inn?" He smirked, and began to slowly lead her off.

Magical Meddling

Burke walked in from the back room slowly, dusting off an old hammer. The one he'd been using had snapped over a piece of mithril he'd been tempering, so he needed a replcaement. "Yeah, that's me. What can I do fer ya?" He sat down and started hammering away at the tough metal once again, hoping this larger, but older hammer would last him long enough.

The Long, Dusty, Old, Gross Walk Back

Vriska hadn't expected any of that. She didn't comment on the talk; she didn't have anything to add, but this whole business of sneaking about in secret tunnels was really... Something. She found herself staring at a lot of the architecture of the tunnels, wondering if some of the still open hallways lead anywhere. Maybe they did, but... She didn't have time to go looking into them right now. So she followed along with the ghost and the healer, and they ended up... Where she didn't want to be. At all. "Ugh," she groaned, pulling herself out of the tunnel, watching Kadin close it. "Sure would be unfortunate if someone found that entrance, huh?" She didn't really say much more than that, beginning to walk off towards the middle city (at a brisk pace), but stopping for a moment at Maja's question. "Training? Oh, yes, right. Sure. Come back to the inn and we'll see what we can stir up. Can't be worse than that jerk soaking me earlier." She turned and kept walking swiftly, the sooner she got out of there, the better.

Edited by I have opinions

Kendeall cleared his throat, setting the Fire tome down on the counter in front of himself. "Do you mind repairing the enchantments on this tome? Don't really need it enhanced, just fixed up a bit. I... feel like I'm gonna need it rather extensively soon, so I want it as close to mint condition as I can get it." Kendeall replied, hoping that he'd come to the right place. He figured he did, anyways, or else that shopkeeper back down the road was getting a piece of his mind.

Book Blacksmithing

Burke looked at Kendeall like he was an idiot for a moment, before sighing, and sitting down on his stool. "Now who dun went and told ye that I know how t'do that? Yeah, I can do it. Cost ye one hundred'n fifty gold fer a fire tome... Y'don't want nothin' else done on it? Would prolly be cheaper iffin I upgraded yer book, than just replaced it... Does the same thing'n you get a better weapon. Well... Same price fer a fire tome, but it'll come out stronger. Wha'd'you say?"

Kendeall looked ever so taken aback. He could get the tome fixed and upgraded, for cheaper? That was enticing. Especially if it helped him show up that nerd Vriska with his ice cave and the treasures that were likely in there. Probably. "In that case, mind giving this tome a bit more power? I'm not the greatest with magic, so I could use something with a bit more... oomph." Kendeall replied, waving his arms around on the last word of his response. That... probably wasn't weird. Probably.

He hoped he didn't look too weird if it was, anyways.

Magical~

"Sure. Same price. Just come get yer tome in the mornin'. It'll be enchanted and restored. Half now, by th'way." Burke collected the tome and casually flipped through some pages, waiting for payment.

Kendeall handed Burke his payment and nodded, thanking the blacksmith before he headed out of the workshop and went back to the inn. He figured this would help him out against his enemies, including that stupid nerd.

[spoiler=Search for the truth, fight for the reason.]

Separating from the girls, Kadin quickly found a cloths store as he walked through the upper rung. Faust's Fashions...? I forget, did commerce rules made this naming quirk mandatory? That seems quite inconvenient to be a trend... Entering the shop, Kadin quickly eyed the heavy robes section, giving the shopkeeper an acknowledging nod. Wasting no time, he picked a change of clothes fit for winter-- a pair or heavy leather pants, a brigandine, gloves, and a hooded robe.

Hurrying to the counter, Kadin took note of a peculiar helmet resting at a table behind the shopkeeper. "That'll be it. Do you, by chance, sell armor as well?"

The corpulent shopkeeper looked at the wares mechanically, seeming a bit deep in his own thoughts, until Kadin addressed him. "Ah, no, sir. That'd be an exchange from a traveler that came with pockets too empty. I reckon I could trade with the armorer next door after I close business for today, is all." Faust gave a weak smile, glance not lingering as he turned to count the total for the sale.

It was a simple knight's helmet padded with leather within, if a tad beat up looking, but it covered all of one's face, and the visor could be taken off... Kadin looked for a moment, prompting another question to the shopkeeper. "Would you mind it selling it to me instead? It seems in decent shape." This could save me some trouble and some of Maja's coin. The man already let slip that it is used, he can't ask much for it.

Faust was took off-guard again, taking a moment to process the man's request. "Well, I'm not..." He sighed. "Fine, the man didn't trade it for much. that's fifteen more coins to your purchases."

Obliging and finishing his purchases, Kadin took and wore the helmet as soon as he left the shop. Strapping the visor on and sighing as his identity concerns were suppressed, he headed for the inn, intent of talking his new predicament with Makin. Slowly, his thoughts drifted to think of the day before. Marius seemed so sure... Hmm, maybe, if I talked to him, he could hear me out this time... It was a risky idea, but Kadin had remembered a lot of his past and their friendship. Marius had to be upset, but maybe he'd help. Iuliana already helped, so... I have to try, Kadin decided.

Reaching the arena, Kadin basically threw the entry fee, in a pouch, at the attendant's way. Eyebrows raised, the attendant examined the helmeted figure for a moment, ultimately letting Kadin in, but still processing his attitude. Quickly, Kadin materialized his lance, figuring it would, at worst, be thought of akin to a spell-blade.

First came Tim. Poor Tim. Quickly outmatched by the man's technique, despite upper hand in weapon choice. He could not take a break these past couple days. At least he landed a hit!

James came second, the fast swordsman unable to overcome Kadin's upper hand in spacing, falling down in two well-placed hits, only landing one.

Eric followed, at somewhat even ground, but only until Kadin's superior form overpowered him. Taking two hits was enough to shake the soldier, leaving his guard open to a match-ending follow up.

Havel seemed like a worthy challenge, but the man couldn't hit his mark despite the imposing club, leaving more than enough time to let Kadin put down a quick one-two, followed by an armor-piercing thrust.

Marcus also seemed challenging, no thanks to his magic, but proved to lack stamina. He fell in one mighty, well-aimed strike.

Troy's airborne fighting was a decent mix up, but Kadin was able to hit twice as Troy engaged, pulling the man out of his steed with his second thrust and ending the match.

Murray, the arena's champion, was figured out surprisingly quick by Kadin. I'll need to take this one down quick... He attacked first to test the knight, cautiously dodging Murray's counter, and taking him down with a true, powerful blow that almost threw the knight off his horse.

And down they go... Kadin was surprisingly collected, maybe from the constant fighting. A part of him wondered whether that came with his shattered memories --but he had no time to think of it now. Marius was next, probably descending from his grandiose seat at any moment. Sighing, a tinge of reluctance ran through the man, as he unstrapped the visor of his helm. His old friend would need to recognize him, but what would his reaction be?

---------------------------

And down Marius did come, all smiles at this new lanceman, ready to fight him in a grand battle between men... Until the visor came off. His smile swirled into a look of disgust, tossing his lance aside, and turning back towards his throne. "I told you I didn't want to see your face, and yet here you are, spoiling my good graces and taking advantage of my arena! Well! We'll see how long I put up with you!" He got back up faster than he had these few days, disappearing behind a door, intent on driving Kadin out in the most painful way he could.

"Marius, wait! Hear me out." Kadin extended his hand, but it was too late to catch the man's attention. "Damn it!" He clenched his fist. Marius was too blinded by anger and disgust to think about Kadin as anything but a schemer. "Please, don't be reckless! Listen to me!" Yet, Marius had already entered a door. Is he going to call the guards on me? Marius, for His sake... Kadin became incredibly alert, and grew increasingly uncomfortable by the crowd's confusion as well.

And confused the crowd was! The murmurs were becoming quite audible. Marius had never stormed off like that, nor declared such a thing. A lot of long time visitors were arguing their distaste of the situation amongst themselves.

But Marius came back. And he was wearing armor more intricate than that of even Havel's. In his hand, he gripped tight to one of Felson's treasures, the Uhlan spear. Diving from his throne, he landed on one knee with a loud thus, quieting the murmurs of the arena. "Now, Kadin Fahl... This is your one chance." He growled out, and slowly stood, levelling the impressively decorated lance at Kadin. "Get out. Of my. Arena." He voice was low and it was quite apparent that he was struggling to hold back from shouting. He was almost trembling with anger.

Kadin couldn't believe what he saw. Marius was irate, completely taken by disgust. What... what manner of evidence existed? Why can't you listen to me, like Iuliana did? Why did she listen to me? Marius was more than ready to bring him down there, or perhaps he was so filled with wroth to hold himself back. "The Uhlan... what are you doing?" Kadin spoke under his breath.

No, I have come this far... If I were to turn away now, I'd be conceding to all claims against me. Marius, please listen. Clenching his teeth as a threat was made, Kadin took a deep breath as he looked straight at Marius. "No." He grasped his lance tight, his feet holding and heart fighting his doubt. "I will not move, not until you listen to me." Kadin retorted, steeling for Marius' reaction.

"Listen? To WHAT!?" He screamed, unable to hold his rage back any longer. "To excuses!? To petty lies, so that you might save face, because for some reasons, the Gods have found it quaint to allow your shadow to roam around and present this terrible visage!? I will listen to nothing!" He trembled again, and let his lance fall for but a moment. "If you truly are Kadin, and you wish to shed some light on me for what happened that day; some terrible truth that was hidden away. If you think you know better than what we decided as a council, then beat me, and I will HUMOR YOU!" He shouted once again, and the audience gasped, as Marius took off like a demon, jumping with ferocity at Kadin, lance aimed for his chest.

Kadin was almost shaken by the outburst. He knew to hold his ground, he knew he had to stay, but what did he truly know about that day? No time could be given for that thought, however. Marius lunged at Kadin with all the rage he'd known. It was a terrifying sight. Kadin raised his lance attempting to parry the charge. "Marius!" He shouted, he felt like his whole being was challenged, his very self pulling out of his body at the danger. That was it.

He then felt it. His past, his old self, his strength... He could faintly sense them, with his memories. It was as if enlightenment rushed through him, no... some height of mind, the very need to fight for his past, against all odds. He struck with his lance against Marius' charge. They clashed, Kadin could barely hold his position, but he felt a surge of strength. He was holding Marius back, he felt more capable than ever, and what was more surprising was what he held. His lance had shifted, far more glorious and detailed. It was far more imposing than before, and most striking of all, it mirrored the Uhlan. Kadin's armor had also changed, far more glorious than he had been as a ghost, its details and presence were regal, as if a relic from his past.

Quickly, Kadin broke off from their engagement, letting the new sensation of self sink to him. His breath strong to adjust from the stamina taken to stand up to Marius, he braced and took action. "Then I will fight!" He struck against Marius in his high.

Yet, his soul had frozen cold as the man managed to catch his lance.

"What?" Marius exclaimed in quiet surprise, his charge being pushed back. "Wh... This is impossible! What mockery is this!?" He could only stare, at the man became emblazoned in glorious, decorated armor. And his lance... Marius double took between the one in his hand and the one Kadin was holding. "How do you...!" He couldn't ask. Before he had a chance to react, Kadin was on him, as terribly as he had just charged. But his rage was not over. He took the lance, catching it with his own. "You think to beat me with my own weapon? You think you know how it works, better than I!? We'll see about that!" Marius quickly launched Kadin's lance arm straight up, the weapon following in such a tight grip. It was only a second before a horizontal slash came across Kadin's chest, knocking him back a few feet. "And here's another!" Marius threw himself back at him, lance aimed straight for the spot he'd hit. Once more, one more hit! I WILL defeat him!

"Agh!" Kadin took the wound poorly, disengaging with some help from Marius' force. The anger certainly did not hold him back from being an admirable opponent. Yet, the battle was too heated for Kadin to take any more than a moment in though. Marius attacked again, trying to strike on his wound while he was down. That could not be allowed. Despite the pain, Kadin braced himself, raising the 'Uhlan' and trying for a defensive stance again. Marius was too far for the blow to be stopped again, but Kadin managed to steer the lance away from his wound. It pierced his armor once more, but was far from fatal. "Nngh!" With a grunt, Kadin mustered enough strength to knock Marius away. "I'm not done yet!" He cried, pain and resolve escaping with his tone. With a surge of strength and chance at his side, Kadin quickly lunged at Marius, too close to move out of the way this time. "Not this time, Marius! I'm not done yet!" Almost as if yelling to bring in strength, Kadin struck true, more than true, piercing Marius' armor just as the Uhlan did to him, his lance unstopped this time.

"Damn!" Marius cursed his luck. His rage had thrown off his judgement, and his followup had been too far away, giving Kadin the moment he needed to counter... And counter he did. If Marius had been enraged, then Kadin was a full storm, brewing inside the arena, striking Marius like lightning. He collapsed to his knees and coughed up blood, as he wrenched the lance out of his chest. The healers started to do their work, and Marius stared up at Kadin with a mixed look of surprise, anguish, disgust, and the slightest hint of hope in his eyes, as his eyebrows wrestled with being hateful and mournful. "We... W-Will talk..." He groaned out, as he sunk in defeat. The crowd couldn't help but cheer over the fight, even if Marius had lost, because it had been the most amazing display they had seen in years! Marius hadn't fought with his full power in so long, and to have someone contend with that power... It was a sight to behold.

Kadin breathed slowly, having almost spent his all in that strike. His eyes, were met with the fruit of his effort as Marius fell, however, bringing some strength back to the man already. Enough to stand his ground and stay up, as he felt the healers do their work. Thank Him that still works on me... He sighed, "We will," and replied to Marius. Part of him thought of extending his hand, but Kadin hesitated, thinking Marius would still struggle with his anger. He decided to wait for Marius to compose himself.

[spoiler=An uneasy reconciliation.]

Marius was pleased by one thing. Kadin didn't extend a hand. He didn't need the dead man's pity. "Come." That was all he said, as he got up and started to leave the arena. There was no grand exit this time, as he simply walked out the entrance doors, without acknowledging the crowd at all. Some of them stopped their cheering at this, but the rest assumed Marius was tired, especially so after having fought almost all day. He led Kadin towards the room he'd entered to retrieve his lance, slowly removing his armor. "Start talking, then. You wanted this." He glared at the man, grumbling, and hanging his damaged chest plate up.

Still rather wary after Marius' display, Kadin followed him to the room, taking moments to assess whether his old friend's mood would improve. That moment never came. Prompted to talk, Kadin was put to a corner where he needed to test his own conviction. "... Very well. I returned to this world with nary a memory to myself. Only an overwhelming feeling kept me tied here --revenge. I knew I was seeking revenge for something." He started talking. Kadin needed be as direct as he could, and speak what he was most sure about. Going around his words, and feelings, and half-truths, would never show Marius any confidence. "After our encounter, I remembered of the council. I remembered a few things about past life, but still nothing about my murder. I wandered through the noble's rung that night, and I ended up finding the council's version of that day." Kadin paused for a moment, his gaze unmoving from Marius. "... It did shed some light over that night, but I could not accept it as truth. It does not explain why I am here. It did not show me the cause for revenge."

Kadin sighed, "I could accuse many things, but all that I'm sure is that something big is missing." Kadin locked eyes with Marius, trying to prove his resolve. "I need to know if there's something missing, if there is anything even the council couldn't make sense of. A suspicion, a trail, anything."

"Revenge? There is no revenge here for you, what a foolish thought..." Marius sighed, sitting on a nearby chair and listening to the rest of the tale. There was only one thing stopping him from throwing this line of talk out, and that was that ghosts did not come back from the dead so easily. They had to have purpose. And since Kadin could not complete what was set in that letter, not anymore... Marius sighed. "There was one thing, and only one. There... There was no motive. The council could not dig up a trail to make sense of why you would do what the letter said you did. But your wife, she wrote it in detail. Signed and explained..." Why would someone sign a letter like that...? Marius didn't quite get that, thinking about it now, but he shook his head. "Unless you can give me evidence, I can not take your word for this... I can not call you friend, like I once did."

Kadin tensed when Marius mentioned his wife's letter. It was still a surreal fact to cope with. "I heard of that letter, as well as the documents in my office. I..." He clenched his fist not to lose composure. "It's beyond what I understand. I wouldn't expect anything like that coming from Sophia, I don't remember any grief or intrigue that caused such discomfort between us. I don't remember everything... but something feels off." Kadin sighed. "Of course, I can't prove that. I can't put my finger on it yet, but... thanks. I needed to make sure. Now I know there's something I need to look for." He shrugged, trying to dismiss his tension, as he did not quite know how to interact well with Marius in this situation. "I... that will be all, for now. Thank you." Kadin replied, slowly making his way to the door. "I might be leaving for a while, but I will return some day. With more answers." Kadin wishfully thought it out loud.

"Take care... you, and Iuliana."

"Just... Kadin," Marius began, his anger having left him since the fight ended. "Don't die, again. If there is something off in this plot, then... Stay alive, until you can find out what it is. Or until you can find that everything was as it has already been written. So stay alive... Gods know it would destroy Iuliana to hear of your death, a second time." He sunk into the chair, wrestling with thoughts. Thoughts that he didn't quite know how to deal with. Everything had been so perfectly laid out, that now, he was starting to think there had been some play in the plot. Ugh...

Kadin turned back one last time. "...I will. You can count on it."

With their farewells done, he promptly made this way out of the arena. The inn being his final destination, Makin would have a tale to digest, but at worst, Kadin could just get himself a room for the night and wait for the morrow. Right. In the morning, they would leave for the tundra, no doubt meddling with the infamous Karstell. Very well, if I have to challenge all tales and come back alive, so be it. I will not 'die' once again.

[spoiler=Beat up your friends! For fun! And Practice!]

"Alright, then let's go!" Maja said, trying to catch with Vriska's pace. For some reason, she rather looking forward to mock combat, anything to improve, it seemed. One thing Vriska said did catch her attention. "...A jerk soaked you? Who was that, how did that happen?"

Vriska sighed. Did she have to talk about it? Well, whatever... "Kendeall. We put on a magic show, and I even helped him, but then he dropped his stupid water spell on me. So I set him on fire." She grumbled, and really hoped he wouldn't be around for this.

"Oh..." Seemed like those weren't fun times at all for the mage in question. "Well, I guarantee that won't happen at all!" She raised her arm, as if making a statement. "Just don't set me on fire! I don't think that would be good!" She added in a quirky tone, trying to break the mood.

"No promises. If your natural barrier isn't goog enough to stand a training tome, then this sparring will be pointless~" Vriska found herself enjoying the thought of setting Maja on fire, quitting that thought quick as it was rather morbid. "Now, come along. I want to get out of this rung as fast as we can!" She sped up to almost a jog.

"Hey, wait up!" Maja had to speed up to catch the girl's pace again, Vriska really had no reservations about leaving that place quickly. "I'm sure my barrier is good if my healing is too, right? I don't think I've actually--" pause for breath, "tried to spar with a mage before. Oh, wait, there was this guy at--" another pause, "the arena, his wind magic kinda hurt. I guess."

"You guess? Well. Maybe you'll do just fine, then. Though I figure I'm tougher than whatever dweeb you fought at the arena. Come on." Vriska actively started running, just wanting to get out of there, even if her stamina was making the running hard to keep up. Ugh, whatever, I just want out... This place is awful.

"W-wait! Come on!" Maja picked up the pace yet again, deciding to cut the talk short. Seemed it was just better to get out of the slums before they decided to think of the training.

-------------------------

Giving thanks as they finally got past the stairs (another exercise on stamina at the pace they were at), Maja took a minute to recover her breath, placing a hand against her chest as she continued to follow Vriska, though on a relatively calmer pace for once. It didn't take long to have the inn in sight, slowly recovering her stamina, Maja already sported a slight smile. "Whew! At least that's over, didn't want to be spent before the actual training. That'd be no good!" She stretched to shake some fatigue off. Soon enough, they were at the inn's door. "Ah, alright. So is there any specific equipment or place to train in mind? Did you want to do something first?" Maja asked, slightly curious about what Vriska had in mind.

Need... More... Stamina... Vriska groaned and took more than a moment to herself as they made it back to in front of the inn. There were some practice tomes inside, so instead of simply explain to Maja what was going to happen, she headed inside and grabbed them, along with what she assumed was a training lance (a long shaft with a rubber end). Bring them out and handing Maja the lance, she started. "I throw this kiddy fire at you, you thwack me with that. If you can, of course. That's how this is gonna go. Sounds easy enough, right?"

"Ah, gotcha!" Maja took the non-threatening pole, striking a position. "Alright then, let's go!" She took a moment to make sure Vriska wouldn't be blindsided by her declaration, then charged. Yet, Maja did not quite realize Vriska's range advantage wouldn't make her the first to strike.

"Charging? Seriously?" Vriska conjured a tiny fire ball from the tome, sighed at the size of it, and quickly lobbed it at Maja, as fast as she could. No holding back, sparring or not!

"Agh!" It seemed Vriska wouldn't let the girl close the distance and strike first, she was playing for keeps! Maja braced the fireball, though small as it was, it seemed her natural barrier could use some work. "I'll get you for that!" Maja retaliated, striking true with the training lance.

Vriska groaned, taking the hit to her side. She closed an eye over it and grimaced, conjuring up another fireball and throwing it in Maja's face. Gods, that hurt... "Is that the best you've got, Maja!?" Maybe some taunts would make her take this more seriously.

Maja barely had time to react, only managing to cover one eye with her off-hand. "Hngh!" A fireball to the face actually hurt and had you tear up, as it were. T-That is mean. Vriska pulled no punches and held no taunts back. Maja bit her lip as she tried to brace the flames as good as she could. It's only a training weapon... it won't be lethal. I'll show her! "Then take this!" The girl thrust the training lance again, less restrained about hitting weak spots.

"Oof!" Vriska groaned hard and clutched an arm around her stomach, knees shaking for a moment. I-I need space...! Vriska started stepping back, throwing another fireball to cover her exit. "Y-You can't win, Maja! My magic's too strong!" She smiled a bit. Maja was really getting into this, even if it was just a spar. She'd need that, for the real thing...

This time, Maja was able to block more of the fireball by shifting her arms, but it hurt. It really hurt. "Ugh..." She had overestimated her own barrier, or maybe Vriska was just that strong. Darn it, this hurts! Maja took in a breath for stamina, *really* not feeling like taking another fireball to the face. "Why, I'll show you!" She had to beat the mage girl now. She made a lunge against Vriska, aiming for her upper torso, trying to knock her over.

Maja did knock her over. Vriska stumbled back and collapsed onto her ass over the hit, gasping for breath. Turns out, getting hit by a heavy wooden shaft, lance tip or not, still really hurt! So she knew this had to end, like, now. Conjuring up another fire ball from her new sitting position, she hurled it at Maja, hoping her barrier was finally done. Didn't think she could put up such a fight...

Success! Vriska did fall over! What wasn't a success was stopping her from retaliating. With some struggle, Vriska had cast another fireball at Maja from her position! Surprised, Maja needed to be fleet of foot. She tried her best to sidestep the incoming fireball...

Maja could not outspeed the fireball, and her barrier could *not* hold another attack.

Hitting her straight in the chest, Maja was knocked out of her feet from the attack. She fell opposite to Vriska, hitting the floor with a gasp. She was spent, she was hurting. Tried as she did to pull herself up again, she found no stamina to back her up. "I... give up." Maja threw the towel, arms pressed against her chest to try to weaken the burning feeling. "I... I'll heal you, give me a moment." That... was pretty much a real fight. Ouch, Vriska...

"Haha... Ah, ouch... Got you..." Vriska stumbled to her feet and tried her best to keep her balance, nodding. "Sorry if I went too hard. I just, t-try to take these as seriously as a real fight. Next one might be your last, right? Gotta be prepared. Always." She slapped the book closed, and did her best to smile. "Either way, you were pretty tough, yourself... I didn't think your tiny arms could hit so hard. Ugh... You came close. I was pretty much done. And, your barrier's not half bad." Well, that hadn't been a waste of time, and Vriska was pretty glad it hadn't.

"T-thanks..." Maja sighed, she still wasn't quite feeling like standing up, so the laid on the floor a little longer. "I'll try. You're a mean one, though." She tried to make a tongue-in-cheek pout, but her body was a bit too pained to let her. At least she could take Vriska's compliments. "Haha... I told you, I won the arena thing, even got a neat lance. That was hard, too, though. I got all bruised up yesterday." With some effort, Maja finally pushed herself to a sitting position. "Thanks for that... but I'll try to make sure next battle won't be anyone's last." She paused to breathe, "You can count on it."