can someone please explain this Touhou thing?

Elieson

I really don't understand the big deal

It looks like animu chicks and galaga spinoffs merged into one thing, mostly the animu fap material

I assumed that it was some hybrid of Galaga, animoo and DDR-wanabee music, as well as being the nutrient broth that sustained the fabled Lightli.

Touhou Project is essentially a Galaga/Space Invaders-esque video game series that's well known for its difficulty, music, and 99% female cast.

The reason why the series is all animu-like (the games aren't really like that, aside from the awesome fighting games), is because ZUN, the creator of the series, isn't all that great at character art. So the fandom took his characters and make art for them in the way that they feel fits the characters the most, and I feel the fighting games pretty much officalized those designs for a good number of the characters. But yeah, that explains why there are tons and tons of art.

That's Touhou for you.

It also made for a great mafia game, and apparently the over 100+ characters there make for a LOT of potential for fanmade stuff?

ZM go submit a move for the tourney

And, OK so its pretty much a fan thing. That, I was never completely certain on

I heard somebody on another forum who's an aspiring writer, and a fan of sorts, say he found a lot of the character concepts/backstories genuinely interesting and cool, and he didn't even actually play the games themselves much. (He noted that he was still uncomfortable with their being predominantly anime children, though)

I also met some girls in school who just plain liked the franchise, and thought of the notion that it's for (implied creepy, moe-obsessed) guys as a dumb stereotype

Sorry, I dont think I can even fap to Touhou (except a rare good rape doujin about a certain nue). I just cant take them serious. Touhou games are....tired and troublesome but somehow, the fandom turned it into a weird mansion of comedy and yuri which in turn, inspired and attracted many new fans. Touhou doesnt belong to ZUN (the father of the series) anymore, the huge fandom owns it now. It's a database of characters that anyone can change as much as they like it. The reason why there's no official Touhou anime is because Zun doesnt want Touhou to become mainstream.