QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

And needed to be said.

I really have a hard time believing that you werent trying to be cheeky, ser. And people call me smug.

Oh. I was. I thought I just said that.

The first quote was serious (Discordianism), the second was reactionary (Satanism).

Sorry.

Edited by Makaze

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should settle the argument of whether Discordianism is a religion or not in the ring

some malcontent drug addict university student will be with you

every Abrahamic religion and the entire Hindu pantheon will be with me

Oh. I was. I thought I just said that.

The first quote was serious (Discordianism), the second was reactionary (Satanism).

Sorry.

I meant that you posted the Discordianism (wtf is even that) passage simply to be cheeky and mock religious text in general. Quite frankly, it looks like you did just that and thats why people like Integ went "wtf."

In other words, your post(s) made you look like a Grade A Hipster Putz. Especially since even atheists in this thread were posting a bunch of bible verses they liked.

You obviously can't respect an opinion on the chance that someone might be trying to be EDGY and could very well be HIPSTER oh gosh those words just burn me to write how despicable. Really?

I meant that you posted the Discordianism (wtf is even that) passage simply to be cheeky and mock religious text in general. Quite frankly, it looks like you did just that and thats why people like Integ went "wtf."

In other words, your post(s) made you look like a Grade A Hipster Putz. Especially since even atheists in this thread were posting a bunch of bible verses they liked.

Oh. No. I completely unironically love Discordianism and if I were going to seriously practice a religion I would practice that one.

If I wanted to mock religion I would have quoted one of the five commandments, like #3. It's also self-mocking, but that's as close as it gets really.

You obviously can't respect an opinion on the chance that someone might be trying to be EDGY and could very well be HIPSTER oh gosh those words just burn me to write how despicable. Really?

You don't get how this works.

some malcontent drug addict university student will be with you

every Abrahamic religion and the entire Hindu pantheon will be with me

i think we can all agree that is the only fair way to settle this dispute

I'm okay with this.

Eris will be there, too.

682fe4ff244ff88d342b5adfe758579b.gif

Oh. No. I completely unironically love Discordianism and if I were going to seriously practice a religion I would practice that one.

If I wanted to mock religion I would have quoted one of the five commandments, like #3. It's also self-mocking, but that's as close as it gets really.

Is it even a religion? :P:

682fe4ff244ff88d342b5adfe758579b.gif

Is it even a religion? :P:

I think so, but it's more like a flavor of Zen Buddhism than a religion by itself.

They're at an equal standing in my eyes. I like Discordianism because it doesn't take itself so seriously.

Edited by Makaze

You think too highly of me.

I think too highly of everyone then, because I give everyone the benefit of the doubt for what they're posting. Honestly everything blew up because Parrhesia had to say that discordianism isn't a religion and you're just trying to mock the topic. All it would've taken was some tolerance for it and even if he thought it was insulting just to have not said anything. I mean, its not like you were completely disrupting the thread and posting random nonsense in an attempt to disrupt the thread.

This isn't about defending you. This is about me expressing how I feel and what I think. And I think Parrhesia is excluding Discordianism specifically because you posted it and due to your history he dismisses it as mockery. I'd imagine if someone he didn't know posted it he would be far more respectful towards the poster and the idea itself. As for the second post, regardless of your intentions it is completely valid to put here and comes from a serious religion, and does not deserve to be dismissed as pure mockery because the essence of what the statement meant still holds.

Edited by Fluorspar

I think too highly of everyone then, because I give everyone the benefit of the doubt for what they're posting. Honestly everything blew up because Parrhesia had to say that discordianism isn't a religion and you're just trying to mock the topic. All it would've taken was some tolerance for it and even if he thought it was insulting just to have not said anything. I mean, its not like you were completely disrupting the thread and posting random nonsense in an attempt to disrupt the thread.

This isn't about defending you. This is about me expressing how I feel and what I think. And I think Parrhesia is excluding Discordianism specifically because you posted it and due to your history he dismisses it as mockery. I'd imagine if someone he didn't know posted it he would be far more respectful towards the poster and the idea itself. As for the second post, regarldess of your intentions it is completely valid to put here and comes from a serious religion, and does not deserve to be dismissed as pure mockery because the essence of what the statement meant still holds.

I'll give it to you straight.

I have tried to talk to Parrhesia. I have been more open about it than you, but I failed. If Parrhesia is going to become less judgmental, they will do it on their own time.

Think about the effect your expression is going to have before fighting fire with fire.

It's very fnord.

That's very qnuod.

Do you mind elaborating?

Edited by Esme

This isn't about defending you. This is about me expressing how I feel and what I think. And I think Parrhesia is excluding Discordianism specifically because you posted it and due to your history he dismisses it as mockery. I'd imagine if someone he didn't know posted it he would be far more respectful towards the poster and the idea itself. As for the second post, regardless of your intentions it is completely valid to put here and comes from a serious religion, and does not deserve to be dismissed as pure mockery because the essence of what the statement meant still holds.

I don't think I'd have gone out of my way to google Makaze's quotation to find out it was the second coming of the FSM had he not been Makaze (and, you know, had a proven track record with this shit). But my opinions on Discordianism have nothing to do with the One (1) practitioner of it I know.

Okay, okay. I'll explain.

"We Discordians are very close-mouthed, you might say, and when we do speak it's usually to put somebody on or blow their minds."

No.

Okay, okay. I'll explain.

"We Discordians are very close-mouthed, you might say, and when we do speak it's usually to put somebody on or blow their minds."

lol ok

You're alright, Fluorspar, and I'd not see your effort unrecognized, but Makaze, Parrhesia and Integ have a certain sort of history such that they, ah, sometimes respond differently to each other than they would to other people, which may not be particularly visible to a new observer. Parrhesia and Integ might have responded to another person who posted about Discordianism differently. They don't usually get on random people too hard for unassumingly posting genuine personal reflections, honest.

You also may just see more extreme, perhaps exaggerated words spoken between people in this forum section. I wouldn't worry too much about it

lol ok

The Discordian practice is full of surreal things like games. Basically you are charged with lightening the mood of everything and never getting stressed.