QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

I would totally be a human leader of a laguz army a la Ike (ok he's not the leader but) if this Mount and Emblem kind of game got made.

EDIT-I'd teach Skrimir to take on Zelgius the right way!

Edited by SeverIan

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

basically what mount and blade (warband, specifically, wf&s is another story while is really neat but not what i'm thinking) is is thus:

you have one RPG dude with RPG stats and levels and skills and gear. you control him in a big overhead map of the continent. you run around variously fighting in tournaments/battles (in first person), trading stuff for money, buying gear, being a cumdumpster for feudal lords, and - the big thing - hiring gullible yokels to join your army. in battle, you fight in first/ots third person with your kit you have equipped (incl. horse or not) with your army around you and their army across the field/desert/mountains/river/castle wall. you can give your dudes simple reposition/targeting orders and play a small, brutal rts with timing your cavalry charges to smash the enemy while they're stuck in with your infantry.

progression happens on three fronts: as mentioned, the first one is you raise your rpg stats and buy/(rarely loot) yourself rpg gear. the second one is much more sinister. every man in your army has a branching promotion progression. each faction has its own troop tree and there are various mercenaries and bandits and such that have their own progression. every time you fight a battle (or every day spent training) your army variously gains experience, and people can promote off that experience, making them more baller and great. all of this requires money.

as you go down this stuff, you become more powerful generally faster than the AI lords in the game. the third line of progression is going from errand bitch to mercenary to minor feudal lord to marshal of the realm. hell, you can be a kingmaker and put a pretender on the throne. or fuck 'em all, declare war and declare yourself independent king of beerstantinople. the best part of mount and blade is getting to the point where you have enough rhodok sharpshooters in a line to attack the king of the nords and just mow down his huge army with your huge army.

now let's transmute this into fire emblem eight. you've got six nations (renais, frelia, grado, rausten, carcino, jehanna) of close enough power that we can fudge it on a discrete landmass that can variously diplomacize with each other. each one has a different troop focus. the m&b formula gets fe-style magic, which is basically just a flashier, shorter range bow (won't kill balance) and staves, which can be represented as healing on the strategic map rather than in the tactical battles or as various reinforcement effects (warp unit = can choose to deploy a squad outside of normal bounds, rescue unit = can pull dying troops from the field as wounded casualties rather than dead, etc). neutrals exist in the form of bandits and mercenaries and revenants. you could have castles get sacked by revanant armies and left barren until somebody spends money to repair and repopulate them, giving a neat little inroad to getting your own land if you're clever.

just think about getting a pile of great knights together and shitstomping some zombies into the ground to build a kingdom gets me all gooey. uguu.

basically the point of this essay is mount and blade: the sacred stones would be a literally perfect game.

i'm sold. added to wishlist so that i may buy it when i can. i don't even need to do more research; when someone gets excited enough to write essays about a game, it's worth a play. i will keep my eyes out for m&b 2, though!

^pictured: a nerd in his natural state

hey man, we're all nerds here.

warband has a demo, go check it out (EDIT: on steam or the devs' site). you can get it really cheap these days, too ($5 tops if you're willing to wait a bit). with fire and sword is a bit of a different beast for a bunch of reasons, but i think it's really fun if you get into the right mindset. also, mount and blade 2 or some other named sequel (warbanner maybe?) is on the horizon.

All right cool, when I get a chance I will definitely check it out. And yeah I saw on the wikipedia site that a new one is coming soon. Although I did just get Kid Icarus Uprising so I might try to play that first.

Still, would recruiting 10 Swadian Recruits now be recruiting 10 Donnels or just 10 advance wars generics with random names (hype for Auffle and Rejek)?

Edited by Tryhard

Dissidia: Fire Emblem

I always thought Dissidia should've become a crossover fighter series with the same gameplay and art style but a different RPG series with each new game. After Final Fantasy it should've been Fire Emblem and after that games like Dissidia: Dragon Quest and Tales of Dissidia should follow suit.

Valve vs Capcom

Akuma and Saxton Hale fight each other so hard that worlds collide!

Shovel Knight: The Animated Series

It would lend itself a lot better for a cartoon series than Pac-Meme, Mighty #9, Sonic Boom and all those other games that are getting cartoon adaptations recently.

Bowser beat 'em up

They gave pretty much every Mario character a spin-off starring them now but not the main villain. Make it like the Bowser levels in TTYD but with a deeper playing field and there you go.

i'm sold. added to wishlist so that i may buy it when i can. i don't even need to do more research; when someone gets excited enough to write essays about a game, it's worth a play. i will keep my eyes out for m&b 2, though!

hey man, we're all nerds here.

pictured: a nerd in denial

how do people think the "awakening dating sim" joke is still funny

this is the part where I tell you it's not a joke and optionally call you a nerd

how do people think the "awakening dating sim" joke is still funny

You misunderstand me. My statement is entirely factual and may or may not have been informed by terrible fanfiction.

Never thought about it much.

Maybe an action/adventure (possibly action-RPG) Golden Sun sorta thing.

Alternatively TWEWY basicallyanything.

Never thought about it much.

Maybe an action/adventure (possibly action-RPG) Golden Sun sorta thing.

Alternatively TWEWY basicallyanything.

TWEWY. DATING SIM. DUDES ONLY. :P:

TWEWY. DATING SIM. DUDES ONLY. :P:

dating Joshua sounds like it would make for an amazing game

holy shit

would play that in an instant

dating Joshua sounds like it would make for an amazing game

holy shit

would play that in an instant

Sorry, you're stuck dating Shooter Dan.

Sorry, you're stuck dating Shooter Dan.

That sounds like at the very least they'd probably put a lot more effort into what is clearly the best part of the game, TIN PIN SLAMMER

if anyone smugly produces a religious text then they will be subject to a one-day suspension

I considered making this joke but decided it would've been in bad taste.

I am glad to see that other people without self-restraint are being warned off of it as well.

need to think, if I want to provide an actual answer

How 'bout someone posturing based off of a religious text (or lack thereof)? :P:

I'm going to nominate some book written by someone in Hawaii which attempted to justify pedophilia. Which was required reading, BTW.

I read the first three inheritance cycle books a few years ago, and I think those would be the last shit books I read.

They weren't actually a particularly bad experience. Just... kind of ... ... yeah.