QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

define intelligence.

sort of a hybrid between traditional intelligence and wisdom. i think it's the ability to understand/comprehend things, and to use that understanding to make wise decisions; and, to use that understanding for problem solving. self-awareness is also in there somewhere

it's pretty broad. "social intelligence" can be applied to this as well.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like being able to interact and understand others could be considered as one way of being intelligent. I feel like I'd rather have intelligence if I had to choose.

sort of a hybrid between traditional intelligence and wisdom. i think it's the ability to understand/comprehend things, and to use that understanding to make wise decisions; and, to use that understanding for problem solving. self-awareness is also in there somewhere

that's really vague and in a way sort of includes anything and everything that falls within the realm of "thinking," yet it has a very clear connotation, and some sets of mental skills are valued more than others in judging intelligence for no apparent reason. e.g. academic success is usually associated with intelligence whereas charisma (broadly, a good grasp on social interaction) isn't.

it also seems like everyone has a distinct, personal definition of intelligence. it's all a load of shit.

Edited by fuccboi

that's really vague and in a way sort of includes anything and everything that falls within the realm of "thinking," yet it has a very clear connotation, and some sets of mental skills are valued more than others in judging intelligence for no apparent reason. e.g. academic success is usually associated with intelligence whereas charisma (broadly, a good grasp on social interaction) isn't.

it also seems like everyone has a distinct, personal definition of intelligence. it's all a load of shit.

there's an idea that i am pretty much in agreement with on a belief basis, but it doesn't really have empirical evidence to back it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

i also have an issue with narrowing intelligence down to what is essentially just book smarts.

it is hard to define intelligence concretely.

there's an idea that i am pretty much in agreement with on a belief basis, but it doesn't really have empirical evidence to back it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

i also have an issue with narrowing intelligence down to what is essentially just book smarts.

it is hard to define intelligence concretely.

it's impossible to back up intelligence empirically.

how do you feel about the concept of multiple intelligences, though? or are any and all definitions of intelligence inherently bullshit?

Edited by Phoenix Wright

the brainless beauty

I hope this isn't you suggesting charismatic people are all brainless beauties?

Also I don't think anybody's denying that both is a great combination, the question is which has more importance to success (or maybe that's just how I interpret it...) and with charisma you have loooots of influence which I find pretty handy

I don't think anybody's saying the charismatic person is brainless?

Edited by Freohr Datia

Who tends to be more successful - the brilliant but reclusive scientist or the brainless beauty?

the brainless beauty ofc

Also I don't think anybody's denying that both is a great combination, the question is which has more importance to success (or maybe that's just how I interpret it...) and with charisma you have loooots of influence which I find pretty handy.

but charisma only provides an advantage (generally speaking), it doesn't provide success itself. one's abilities (which is the word i'll be using in lieu of the controversial "intelligence") provide success.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I think inherently intelligence is a flawed concept but I answered anyway

Charisma is far more important in most cases at the individual level (what good is charisma otherwise?) that aren't telling yourself you're a better person than others cuz ur smarter.

While i definitely can see your point in saying charisma is more important, and agreeing that intelligence is too much of a abstract and imprecise concept, i think you're underestimating its importance. Even if taking at its definition in a very basic and conservative way, it's something that can make life much easier. Like, with the ability of being able to learn academic things easily, one can get into a good college without trouble. With good grades in a good college, that person is guaranteed to have a good job and earn a respectable amount of money. It's far from only being useful in telling people you're better than them for being "smart" (which is something only an idiot would do) Edited by Valesca Popozuda

but charisma only provides an advantage (generally speaking), it doesn't provide success itself. one's abilities (which is the word i'll be using in lieu of the controversial "intelligence") provide success.

counterpoint example: ur mum

Edited by fuccboi

"abilities."

your abilities are the method to your success. any other positive attributes are supplemental. these attributes shouldn't be understated, though, as things like charisma, kindness, confidence, etc. are indeed extremely important, but if you lack ability, you probably won't get anywhere.

and those "abilities" are almost all achievable with work. almost because there are certain goals or aspirations that no matter one's dedication to or hard work towards, the goal will never be achieved.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I just think of charisma as emotional intelligence, tbh. Like, how "smart" you are when dealing with other people

(have you ever seen a person who you would generally consider intelligent say something "stupid" to another person, not just because it was a poorly formed thought but because "why would you say that at that point in time to that person of all people? could you not see the signs on the wall telling you that was a bad idea?" that's how I tend to think of it)

EX: for most of high school, I though nothing of having a particular amount of friends, getting people to do what I wanted or whatever, partially because it didn't appeal to me and I assumed I could do without it (and indeed that "cerebral" intelligence would be more important to do what I wanted to be able to do), but also in part because I assumed it was easy enough that it didn't even constitute a skill. Then when I actually got exposed to some cool people I wanted to make friends with, but with whom I had basically no prior experience to work from, I found that it totally was something like "a skill!" I was floundering when trying to be friendly, partially because I had no idea what exactly to do and had no idea how I was coming off, and was loathe to put myself in situations I had never been in before to find out. I've noticed friends who had some academic problems expressing similar thoughts/emotions about, like, calculus, and studying (not that I didn't ever myself, just that I noticed similar-seeming discomfort when we would worry about our aptitude at different things).

I got a little more comfortable with talking to them with some time and practice (and, to be sure, a good bit of help), so at this point I just see it as another skill to be learned. Though baseline aptitudes and attitudes towards improving at it obviously vary, depending on any number of things, etc etc, but then the same is true for: abstract thought, reading comprehension, memory, musical ability, mathematical ability, conception of objects in 3D space, etc etc etc.

I don't think being good at one is an excuse for either being bad at or denigrating another, I guess. (also it's not as though the modern world doesn't require both sorts of skills out of people at large just to function)

Also I tend to think of intelligent people as more charismatic and vice versa anyway? dunno

Edited by Rehab