Help with a future playthrough Yarne

So Yarne gets a lot of flack for being the male son of a mother who doesn't have access to the pegasus knight branch and thus can never get galeforce, and I admit that's a huge setback, but I came up with a decent enough build for him, I just need to find him the right leftover father.

Basically I'm thinking that since he's going to have his beast vulnerability no matter what, best to make him a beast unit, say a paladin or dark knight, with the specific designation of being an anti-cavalry cavalry. I'd pass down Acrobat from Panne, train him up enough to learn beastbane as a taguel, give him a dread scroll and train him to get aggressor, and then make him a dark knight/paladin designed to hide behind forests and ambush enemy cavalry, obliterating them before they can menace my group with any fancy weaponry they might have.

Here were my pairings in my current playthrough:

Cherche-Frederick
Cordelia-Stahl
Lissa-Ricken
Maribelle-Lon'qu
Miriel-Gregor
Nowi-Gaius
Olivia-Virion
Panne-Kellam
Sully-Vaike
Sumia-Henry
Tharja-Donnel

Now it looks like with this, for my next playthrough, my best bet is to pair Panne up with Libra, but I just checked the growth calculators and Yarne's magic growth is 20%, utter trash, with Libra as his father. Can anybody think of an alternative father, one that grants paladin with decent STR or dark knight with decent MAG, and one that doesn't sacrifice the other children?

Edited by Alastor15243

Uh... did you even consider the possibility of making him a support unit? He's got 'Zerker and Axefaire (in his base class set), and it's what he's normally used for.

Edited by Gaia

Uh... did you even consider the possibility of making him a support unit? He's got 'Zerker and Axefaire (in his base class set), and it's what he's normally used for.

The way I've heard "support unit" used (specifically in this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/faqs/69047) can mean a lot of different things, so can you explain to me what kind of support he'd be doing?

... As in the unit that is always in the back of the pair up for the purpose of dealing as much damage as possible to the enemy unit while boosting the lead's stats. *SUPPORT* unit. What else?

... As in the unit that is always in the back of the pair up for the purpose of dealing as much damage as possible to the enemy unit while boosting the lead's stats. *SUPPORT* unit. What else?

That's what I thought, but there are other meanings of the word "support", like a long-distance attacker, a rallier, a healer...

That's what I thought, but there are other meanings of the word "support", like a long-distance attacker, a rallier, a healer...

That first one didn't make any bloody sense, and the other two are known as rally-bots and staff-bots.

GameFAQs isn't a reliable source.

The best Yarne is Frederick!Yarne with LB, Agg, Axefaire, All+2 and either Swordbreaker or Str+2. Vaike!Yarne trades 1 Skl for 1 Str, but since Vaike is in higher demand as a father Fred is better. As for your other pairings...

Cherche-Frederick -Gerome gets no Berserker from Fred so he can't support, and without Galeforce he can't lead.
Cordelia-Stahl -OK, but you won't be able to do VV well thanks to lacking Tomefaire. You can still be a Luna Sniper/Hero or something.
Lissa-Ricken -Good.
Maribelle-Lon'qu -Brady doesn't care who his dad is as long as he doesn't lower his Mag/Spd, but Lon'qu is sometimes in higher demand elsewhere. If Lon'qu is free, it's fine.
Miriel-Gregor -All Laurent needs is Vantage so this works out.
Nowi-Gaius -Nah will lack a reliable proc to kill with, making Galeforce unreliable.
Olivia-Virion -Inigo will lack a reliable proc to kill with, making Galeforce unreliable.
Panne-Kellam -Kellam gives nothing you want, but not much you don't want either.
Sully-Vaike -No Galeforce means you're stuck as a support, and Nah is a better female hard support than Kjelle.
Sumia-Henry -Good.
Tharja-Donnel -No Vantage for VV, use Gaius instead.
Avatar-Chrom -Neither Morgan nor Avatar will be able to marry Lucina, and Morgan's mods won't be very impressive.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that your children won't all be out front, they need support partners and they can only marry Avatar and other children, so don't try to design all your children to be frontliners.

GameFAQs isn't a reliable source.

The best Yarne is Frederick!Yarne with LB, Agg, Axefaire, All+2 and either Swordbreaker or Str+2. Vaike!Yarne trades 1 Skl for 1 Str, but since Vaike is in higher demand as a father Fred is better. As for your other pairings...

The thing you need to keep in mind is that your children won't all be out front, they need support partners and they can only marry Avatar and other children, so don't try to design all your children to be frontliners.

Alright, Thanks for the advice.

...Jeez this is complicated. Has anybody put together a list of, on one page, the MSMs and learnable skills that each potential parent has access to? Because if nobody's done that I'm thinking of doing it myself, as it would make pairings so much easier to work out.

Chrom x Sumia/Maribelle/Olivia

Lissa x Ricken/Libra

Sully x Donnel

Miriel x Lon'qu/Stahl/Gregor

Sumia x Chrom/Henry

Maribelle x Chrom/Libra/Anyone who doesn't lower Mag/Spd

Panne x Frederick/Anyone who doesn't lower Str/Skl

Cordelia x Lon'qu/Ricken/Virion/Stahl

Nowi x Virion/Vaike/Henry/Anyone

Tharja x Gaius

Olivia x Chrom/Stahl/Ricken/Libra

Cherche x Vaike/Gregor/Henry

Avatar-M x Lucina/2nd gen with Galeforce

Avatar-F x Yarne/Laurent/other 2nd gen

There's the "official" list of preferred pairings.

Chrom x Sumia/Maribelle/Olivia

Lissa x Ricken/Libra

Sully x Donnel

Miriel x Lon'qu/Stahl/Gregor

Sumia x Chrom/Henry

Maribelle x Chrom/Libra/Anyone who doesn't lower Mag/Spd

Panne x Frederick/Anyone who doesn't lower Str/Skl

Cordelia x Lon'qu/Ricken/Virion/Stahl

Nowi x Virion/Vaike/Henry/Anyone

Tharja x Gaius

Olivia x Chrom/Stahl/Ricken/Libra

Cherche x Vaike/Gregor/Henry

Avatar-M x Lucina/2nd gen with Galeforce

Avatar-F x Yarne/Laurent/other 2nd gen

There's the "official" list of preferred pairings.

why are second-gen parents preferred for the avatar? It doesn't actually improve the kid's stats at all because the universal +1 isn't applied twice, you only get 2 tacticians that way, and obviously skill and class access isn't an issue with the avatar either.

Edited by Alastor15243

Because then you can get 7 Gen 2 pairs instead of 6, since there are only 13 children. And it does improve the children's stats because certain stats (Def, Res, Lck, either Str or Mag) don't matter, but others do: a +Mag/-Def Avatar will boost Morgan's Mag by 4 and her Spd by 2 over her parent, and drop her Def, Res and Lck which she doesn't care about.

Lon'qu!Severa: 2 Str, 6 Spd/Skl.

Lon'qu!Severa!Morgan: 6/8/6 Str/Spd/Skl or 4/10/6 Str/Spd/Skl or 2/8/10 Str/Spd/Skl. That's a big difference.

Avatar x Lucina is also so powerful that Morgan actually becomes obsolete.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Dual Strike+.

Avatar is +Mag/-Def, Lucina is Maribelle!Lucina. Both are Sages. Avatar uses VV, Lucina uses Galeforce and DS+, and together they form the core of most Secret Apo challenge runs with their 100% DS VV and guaranteed setup on Wave 0. Morgan is left in the dust because there's nobody she can marry who has DS+. You'll have to ask Airship Canon for the specifics, it's his setup but it works wonders.

Dual Strike+.

Avatar is +Mag/-Def, Lucina is Maribelle!Lucina. Both are Sages. Avatar uses VV, Lucina uses Galeforce and DS+, and together they form the core of most Secret Apo challenge runs with their 100% DS VV and guaranteed setup on Wave 0. Morgan is left in the dust because there's nobody she can marry who has DS+. You'll have to ask Airship Canon for the specifics, it's his setup but it works wonders.

That run.

It's basically a variant on a run that routed Apo that used Ricken!Laurent!Morgan.

The scary thing is that the result of +MAG/-DEF MU x Maribelle!Lucina is the strongest of all Magic-based female Morgans, so while you wind up with a Robin that is better than Morgan, you didn't gimp Morgan to do so.