Is Dang from Mr. Young Offensive?

Randoman

I thought I'd post it here, since I want serious answers and discussion, yet I don't want things to get too heated and in-depth.

Anyways, would you consider Dang from Mr. Young to be offensive? (watch a bit of the video below to get an idea of what he's like. I don't expect anyone to watch the full 23 minutes) I mean, offensive in terms of the jokes and stereotypes he portrays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnlRFVxlggU

I personally think he's kind of offensive, though I'm personally not offended from the jokes and stereotypes at all, and I say that being an Asian myself. I mean, he's not putting down Asians with his actions or portraying them as bad people, though I'm wondering what other people think.

Edited by Randoman

rac·ist
ˈrāsist/
noun
a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
adjective
having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.

No. You seem to be mixing up "racist" and "stereotypical"? Maybe I missed something because I didn't watch the whole video, but I didn't get that impression?

Edited by Refa

Who the hell is this guy, and why should I care about him? As long as people think that stereotypes are funny, things that poke at stereotypes will be marketed as comedy. The line between stereotype and racism is very fine, and whether it was actually crossed. . .well, you'll need to pay me to watch the full 23 minute clip, because the quality is atrocious.

Well, yeah, I find it hilarious and I'm Asian as well.

What I really, really, really don't want happening is kids taking it as "I guess it's ok to make fun of Asians now because of how they talk and how funny their names sound, and assume they all know kung-fu," which is a really stupid but very probable conclusion children can make from this child-targeted show.

Edited by headphoneblast

Things like that are funny to more accepting people, but they're offensive to extremely sensitive people who think that mention of the color black in any context is "racist". Now I'm going to have the latter attack me.

XAXAXAXAXA I ARE COM FROM THE IRAND OF CHINA AND IN OUR PRACE OF HONORABUR RIVING WE EAT RICE AND HAVE SRIDING DOOR AND POINTY RED ROOF AND WE ARE HAVING SMALL EYES BECOZING WE ARE CAN NOT SEE BUTT KHAGAN NGUYEN NOT MAKE GRASSES FOR US BUTT WE MAKE GRASSES FOR WESTRY VANNIRA PEPUR

I'm the best at unfunny Asian jokes.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

There is a long and proud history of making fun of stereotypes in comedy. So long as the stereotype is being played for comedy, not to actually be commentary on real Asians (or whatever group) then it should be fine. I can't actually comment on this specific case, since I'm not familiar with it, but that's my philosophy on the issue.