NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

I miss Ed Reed :(

I miss when he was on the Hurricanes..

Him and Sean Taylor.

Whew. Those were the days..

Buffalo at Houston- If Jennings could run for 176, the Bills running attack should be very successful. Texans odds are better if Arian Foster comes back.

New England at Kansas City- Patriots have had little offense for the past 10 quarters and Chiefs have played pretty well the last 2 weeks.

These are the only two I don't agree with.

Houston Offense will do better at home, as well as the defense..

Buffalo has no offense. Don't care what anyone says..

Kansas City will throw this one away..

Despite playing like crap so far. The Patriots are still winning games.

Tom Brady will eventually be Tom Brady again. Even if he has to force feed Edelman the ball.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard good things about Reed. Seen a bunch of debates about whether he or Troy Polamalu was the better player. I've seen good arguments from both sides too. Ed Reed has more interceptions overall and longer returns, but Polamalu has made better catches and moves (like his classic Flying Superman Tackle as many fans call his jumping over players to make the play). I'd say they're evenly matched, honestly.

I miss when he was on the Hurricanes..

Him and Sean Taylor.

Whew. Those were the days..

These are the only two I don't agree with.

Houston Offense will do better at home, as well as the defense..

Buffalo has no offense. Don't care what anyone says..

Kansas City will throw this one away..

Despite playing like crap so far. The Patriots are still winning games.

Tom Brady will eventually be Tom Brady again. Even if he has to force feed Edelman the ball.

Literally Buffalo's offense is just C.J Spiller and Sammy Watkins. E.J Manuel is too "average" as a QB.

Rookie CB Jason Verrett shut Watkins down. He needs to have a Rookie of the week. Since he only allowed 2 receptions for 19 yards. The entire game. Credit to John Pagano's defense. The sole reason Chargers' defense sucked last year was because everyone except Weddle and Wright were injured.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

As much as I would love for the Panthers to totally blow out the Ravens after the BS that was Steelers vs Ravens, I have to agree that the Ravens have the upper hand. But they had a lot of trouble against the fricking Brownies, so it may be a closer game than we think. :P

You guys won by 3 playing in Pittsburgh... we won by 2 playing in Cleveland. In other words, you could barely get a W with home field, and we got a W without it.

I've heard good things about Reed. Seen a bunch of debates about whether he or Troy Polamalu was the better player. I've seen good arguments from both sides too. Ed Reed has more interceptions overall and longer returns, but Polamalu has made better catches and moves (like his classic Flying Superman Tackle as many fans call his jumping over players to make the play). I'd say they're evenly matched, honestly.

They play slightly different positions, but Polamalu isn't the GOAT at Strong Safety. Reed is the GOAT at Free Safety, and the reason I posted that picture was that it was Tom Brady's arm; it said "look for 20 on every play." Brady and Manning were never as scared to go against Polamalu as they were to go against Reed.

There's a very very good reason why the Ravens were the next closest to ending the Patriots' perfect season in 2007, and it begins with Ed Reed.

Philadelphia at San Francisco- Eagles bad defensive plan should catch up to them eventually.

But so should SF's million and one penalties and their shitty secondary. SF isn't looking good this year. No pass rush, OL is kinda bad, and somehow they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

New Orleans at Dallas- If the Cowboys gave up over 300 to Austin Davis, Drew Brees should do well against them in theory.

Brees is so bad on the road. The Saints are/were night/day this year and last on the road. If they can keep running it with like Khiry Robinson and Pierre Thomas (really just throwing screens because they have a lot of "long handoffs") and Brees doesn't completely miss on downfield passes then they won't lose. But that's a big if.

Brees looked very, very uncomfortable against the Browns and his game at home last week didn't look too great. Maybe Minnesota's defense is legit, maybe the Saints are declining on offense/defense, I don't know. But Brees, Brady, and Rodgers haven't looked like the Brees/Brady/Rodgers from 2008-2012 (or 2013) so far.

Edited by Lord Raven

You guys won by 3 playing in Pittsburgh... we won by 2 playing in Cleveland. In other words, you could barely get a W with home field, and we got a W without it.

They play slightly different positions, but Polamalu isn't the GOAT at Strong Safety. Reed is the GOAT at Free Safety, and the reason I posted that picture was that it was Tom Brady's arm; it said "look for 20 on every play." Brady and Manning were never as scared to go against Polamalu as they were to go against Reed.

There's a very very good reason why the Ravens were the next closest to ending the Patriots' perfect season in 2007, and it begins with Ed Reed.

Except the Steelers never trailed the Browns. The Ravens did for most of that game. So overall, the black and gold still played better against them.

You're right, Polamalu and Reed did play slightly different positions. But just because two QBs were a little more afraid to go against Reed doesn't automatically make him better. Like I said, I find them both to be at the same level, that's that.

Yeah, but don't forget who actually DID end their winning streak. Here's a hint. They wear black and gold and play in PA.

Except the Steelers never trailed the Browns. The Ravens did for most of that game. So overall, the black and gold still played better against them.

They never trailed but yall were tied 27-27. Don't act like they didn't make a huge comeback to almost force overtime.

We never trailed most of the game either. It was 10-7 at halftime and we were ahead through like half of the first half and parts of the second half. We still came back and beat them soundly in the fourth. Most importantly, we beat them on the road and never trailed by more than a score (if I'm recalling right anyway) whereas the Steelers couldn't hold a 24 point lead in the second half. We allowed 6 less points and most importantly we won the game on the road whereas the Steelers came dangerously close to losing at home. Does any of this make sense to you or are you just going to keep being a homer?

But just because two QBs were a little more afraid to go against Reed doesn't automatically make him better. Like I said, I find them both to be at the same level, that's that.

The two best qbs of our generation and possibly of all time were afraid of Ed Reed. We also had some very mediocre corners and Ed Reed made people like a 30 year old Chris McAllister as well as scrubs like Frank Walker/Chris Carr/Cary Williams look at least competent at their jobs. (Hint: Cary Williams is horrible with the Eagles as of the past two years and Carr/Walker were horrendous on every other team they played on).

Yeah, but don't forget who actually DID end their winning streak. Here's a hint. They wear black and gold and play in PA.

The 2007 Patriots? They went 16-0 and lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl by a hair. They blew the Steelers the fuck out, winning 34-13. The only teams that came close to beating them were the Colts, Ravens, Eagles, and Giants. Edited by Lord Raven

Literally Buffalo's offense is just C.J Spiller and Sammy Watkins. E.J Manuel is too "average" as a QB.

Rookie CB Jason Verrett shut Watkins down. He needs to have a Rookie of the week. Since he only allowed 2 receptions for 19 yards. The entire game. Credit to John Pagano's defense. The sole reason Chargers' defense sucked last year was because everyone except Weddle and Wright were injured.

I do agree that the Bills are not very...explosive on offense, but with an inactive Foster the Texans are probably worse. Fitzpatrick was just terrible against the Giants.

I could definitely see picking the Eagles or Cowboys given the recent struggles of the Saints and Niners, but I guess I'm picking them to get back on track somewhat.

They never trailed but yall were tied 27-27. Don't act like they didn't make a huge comeback to almost force overtime.

We never trailed most of the game either. It was 10-7 at halftime and we were ahead through like half of the first half and parts of the second half. We still came back and beat them soundly in the fourth. Most importantly, we beat them on the road and never trailed by more than a score (if I'm recalling right anyway) whereas the Steelers couldn't hold a 24 point lead in the second half. We allowed 6 less points and most importantly we won the game on the road whereas the Steelers came dangerously close to losing at home. Does any of this make sense to you or are you just going to keep being a homer?

The two best qbs of our generation and possibly of all time were afraid of Ed Reed. We also had some very mediocre corners and Ed Reed made people like a 30 year old Chris McAllister as well as scrubs like Frank Walker/Chris Carr/Cary Williams look at least competent at their jobs. (Hint: Cary Williams is horrible with the Eagles as of the past two years and Carr/Walker were horrendous on every other team they played on).

The 2007 Patriots? They went 16-0 and lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl by a hair. They blew the Steelers the fuck out, winning 34-13. The only teams that came close to beating them were the Colts, Ravens, Eagles, and Giants.

I...don't even know what you mean by "being a homer."

I never said that the Browns didn't make a comeback. I'm just saying that because of the first half alone, the Steelers played better than the Ravens. Also, I find "home field advantage" to be a little overrated. Plenty of teams win away games and get good wins too. The Steelers just trashed the Panthers in Charlotte. And they had the second best defense in the league. They still managed to knock the Lions around without their best DE too. They even fricken shut down Calvin fricken Johnson aka Megatron.

Uh, so? I've seen people say they were afraid to face Polamalu too. Doesn't make any difference.

I was told not too long ago that the Steelers broke a winning streak the Pats had. Perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong one, my mistake.

Edited by Anacybele

Did you know Donald Brown in his entire career only had 1 fumble. He recovered it too when he was in the Colts. And that only fumble was from his first season. Now if only more players can hold the ball like he can.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

OH, OH, OH CHECK THIS OUT. :D

NFL Media's Ladanian Tomlinson names his top 5 RBs, and both LeGarrette Blount and Le'Veon Bell are two of them, at number 5 and number 2, respectively! Although he also said he'd take Bell over any other RB in the league. Kinda makes it seem like he really thinks Bell is number 1. But whatever the case, this is sooo sweet. ^^

Tomlinson described Blount similarly to how Lord Raven did earlier in the thread too, that he's best towards the end of the game and that he's the guy to close a game for you. That he shines in the fourth quarter.

But hell yeah, BOTH Steelers RBs! :D Oh, btw, Tomlinson is a Hall of Famer.

Also, the Steelers' chances of beating the Bucs this weekend went up some more lol. The Bucs will still be without their OC and that hasn't gone too well for them. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I did say a LITTLE overrated, you know. It does make some difference. But I don't think it makes a whole lot. I've seen the Steelers beat the Ravens in Baltimore and without Ben too (in fact, they were down to their third string QB at the time, the second string was hurt too). And I've seen the Steelers lose in Pittsburgh. It doesn't mean nearly as much as you make it out to be.

Edited by Anacybele

We need a Lions or Packers fan in here that I can argue incessantly with

NFL Media's Ladanian Tomlinson names his top 5 RBs, and both LeGarrette Blount and Le'Veon Bell are two of them, at number 5 and number 2, respectively! Although he also said he'd take Bell over any other RB in the league. Kinda makes it seem like he really thinks Bell is number 1. But whatever the case, this is sooo sweet. ^^

He ranked according to the performance this past week so it's not that huge, what the Steelers backs did was definitely phenominal though.

Homefield advantage is huge, teams like the Saints and the Seahawks are waaaay better at home, most teams have a considerably better win % at home over the years.

Edited by Da Bear

Seahawks, Chiefs, Broncos, and Saints have phenomenal home field advantage. (Chiefs haven't been good this past decade but their home field advantage is good). The Patriots have also been insane at home. Cleveland is also not an easy place to play at despite their fanbase's history of futility.

Home field advantage is huge, because they mess with the other offense's signals and cadence pretty consistently. On top of that the Broncos/Seahawks/Chiefs/Saints have a more tangible advantage. Teams are also more rested at home vs away because there's not as much travel time.

and yeah through some grace of god somehow the Ravens are crazy good in Baltimore in the Harbaugh era. Last year we went like 6-2 at home and 2-6 on the road or something, and the year before we had like a 16 game win streak of home wins (we went like 8-0 in 2011 and close to 8-0 or probably 8-0 in 2010).

Hmm... I guess I just didn't understand how home field advantage actually works. I thought it might've had something to do with the home team having more fans in the stands all the time, thus all the cheering from them pumps the team up (believe it or not, supporting someone in a competition of some kind can actually have quite a positive effect on their performance). It just wouldn't have any negative effects on the visiting team.

But I guess I was wrong. And it looks like I know less about the NFL than I thought. But thanks for making me realize this, Lord Raven. Now I shouldn't make myself look stupid. :P

Edited by Anacybele

They're ass because they lost RGIII. He was a good QB for the insanely short time he was completely healthy. He just hasn't been the same since all those injuries, so they're stuck with second string Kirk Cousins.

Edited by Anacybele

RG3 probably wouldn't have done much better... remember that Cousins torched the Eagles and Jaguars.

People have been dogging on RG3 for a little while, because he's been a one-read guy that bolts or struggles when his first read isn't there...

Edited by Lord Raven

Well then, there you go. :P

On another topic, Le'Veon Bell got FedEx Ground Player of the Week! That guy totally deserved it too. ^^

Matthew Stafford got caught up at a collapsed bridge. But he didn't get hurt, so Lions fans can rest easy.