I should try to keep my Russian.

Go out at nighttime? Works for me (for keeping myself fluent).

Go where?

I'm at home all the time.

And I don't know any Russians to talk to.

Because I haven't met any since I came back to the U.S.

Hell, at this rate, my Japanese will become better than my Russian. (Lol, not for another while.)

But yeah, I don't want four years of Russian to go down the drain.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

Really? No exchange students, workers or even tourists who'd speak Russian around you? People from just about any post-Soviet state tend to have lousy English too, and might resort to Russian to be understood when abroad, so that makes the number of potential Russian speakers even greater.

Staying at home sure sounds like a problem though, unless you want to torment yourself with some MMOs featuring Russian kids or something.

Could always just focus on passive language skills (listening / reading) on your lonesome, if you can't / don't want to find some activity that would involve using the language.

Pragmatic application of the language could get really limited in the nearest future though, what with tsar Putler well on his way to turning the country into a rogue state.

Really? No exchange students, workers or even tourists who'd speak Russian around you? People from just about any post-Soviet state tend to have lousy English too, and might resort to Russian to be understood when abroad, so that makes the number of potential Russian speakers even greater.

Staying at home sure sounds like a problem though, unless you want to torment yourself with some MMOs featuring Russian kids or something.

Could always just focus on passive language skills (listening / reading) on your lonesome, if you can't / don't want to find some activity that would involve using the language.

Pragmatic application of the language could get really limited in th>e nearest future though, what with tsar Putler well on his way to turning the country into a rogue state.

Maybe when I go to college this year.

But as of now, no.

I met a Russian lady on the bus once, though.

She was reading a Russian newspaper.

Lol MMOs, no.

Especially that tank game.

I suppose I should.

Or maybe I can take a Russian class next semester.

That'd be cool.

>_>

Why do you want of the Russia when always there is great Japan, tovarich?

WHY NOT BOTH?! :D

DEKIRUYO!

NIHONGO TO ROSHIAGO.

NIHONGO NO BUNKA WA KANDAN DAKARA, MONDAI JANAI.

DEMO, ROSHIAGO NO BUNKA WA TOTEMO MUZUKASHII... HAI, SONODOORIDESU.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

Do people speak Russian in Kyrgyzstan?

It's an official language, yes.

Granted, more people speak Russian in the north than in the south. More Russians there.

The capital is where you want for Russian, as it, of all places in KG, has the highest number of Russians.

So there's a stronger Russian influence there.

To the point that Russian is more commonly spoken than Kyrgyz.

The rest of the country uses Kyrgyz more often, though.

Not that they don't know Russian.

At least the older generations, that is.

The younger ones not so much.

While your Russki is manly, Norsk will put hair on your chest.

I don't like hairy chests, though.

Watch Russian dubs

I watched some before.

They contribute to my hate of dubs.

Are you Russian?

Also, What's this book about? I was always curious about that haha

Not one ethnically speaking but pretty culturally immersed after spending 8 years of my life there and Russia maintaining my interest still.

It's a postmodern novel by the most mystifying modern Russian writer, telling a story about the events in the life of a Russian banker in the 90s, experiencing the harsh reality of the immediate post-Soviet era, who turns to a magical belief in the power of numbers, hence the novel's name. Much like most of Pelevin's work, it's a good mix of occultism and pop culture mixed like a cocktail, really absurd and nonsensical but with messages readable between the lines.

The protagonist is actually called 'Pika' by his girlfriend in the novel, who's apparently a Pokemon fan, and Pokemon numbers (#1 Vulvasore etc.) are connected to the concept of routinely looking for meaning and guidance in numbers. It was a fun read, and I think I could always re-read the book to which this novel belongs or any of his other good works because of the great style he employs and how clever all the ideas are.

Not one ethnically speaking but pretty culturally immersed after spending 8 years of my life there and Russia maintaining my interest still.

It's a postmodern novel by the most mystifying modern Russian writer, telling a story about the events in the life of a Russian banker in the 90s, experiencing the harsh reality of the immediate post-Soviet era, who turns to a magical belief in the power of numbers, hence the novel's name. Much like most of Pelevin's work, it's a good mix of occultism and pop culture mixed like a cocktail, really absurd and nonsensical but with messages readable between the lines.

The protagonist is actually called 'Pika' by his girlfriend in the novel, who's apparently a Pokemon fan, and Pokemon numbers (#1 Vulvasore etc.) are connected to the concept of routinely looking for meaning and guidance in numbers. It was a fun read, and I think I could always re-read the book to which this novel belongs or any of his other good works because of the great style he employs and how clever all the ideas are.

Wow. Long time in Russia.

That. Is. Weird.

How in the world did he get by without copyright infringement?

болшая победа!

Teach me Russian to keep your skills up~ :P I tired learning a bit by myself the beginning of last year, but haven't kept up with it.

Also, where in Russia did y'all go? I've spent a couple weeks in Vladivostok and a day in Moscow.

болшая победа!

Teach me Russian to keep your skills up~ :P I tired learning a bit by myself the beginning of last year, but haven't kept up with it.

Also, where in Russia did y'all go? I've spent a couple weeks in Vladivostok and a day in Moscow.

Great victory?

Alas, I don't think my Russian is good enough to teach anybody. xD

I didn't go to Russia!

I went to a former republic of the U.S.S.R is all.

It's one of the few phrases I know, courtesy of Zangief.

Daw man :/ It was worth a shot I guess~ XD

Ooo, where did you go then?