WORLD CUP 2014

Parrhesia

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the possible finals would be incredibly memorable and have lots of history behind them, with argentina v. brazil at the top, and that coming in second

i'm not sure how much of a grudge match Argentina and Brazil have against each other, but I fear that if Germany vs Holland occured someone would die

When talking about football at a national level, Brazil x Argentina at a WC Final is pretty much the biggest match possible. It's a shame that both Neymar and Di Maria can't take part on that spectacle.

However, Germany x Argentina is IMO bigger than Netherlands x Germany. Two wc finals IN A ROW, where both sides won? Fuck. Yes.

When talking about football at a national level, Brazil x Argentina at a WC Final is pretty much the biggest match possible. It's a shame that both Neymar and Di Maria can't take part on that spectacle.

However, Germany x Argentina is IMO bigger than Netherlands x Germany. Two wc finals IN A ROW, where both sides won? Fuck. Yes.

nah, germany vs holland is comparable to brazil argentina rivalry. they fucking hate each other. us? we've just lost to them two world cups in a row

edit: "just"

i cried both times

Edited by fuccboi

nah, germany vs holland is comparable to brazil argentina rivalry. they fucking hate each other. us? we've just lost to them two world cups in a row

i cried both times

Luckily, the whole WWII hatred has lessened over the years, but Holland still have a big grudge against them at least in football.

But either match would be a spectacle, maybe for the wrong reasons.

Edited by Tryhard

i cried both times

I dunno bro. 86 and 90 were pretty heated games too, and the latter still springs some controversy.

Luckily, the whole WWII hatred has lessened over the years, but Holland still have a big grudge against them at least in football.

But either match would be a spectacle, maybe for the wrong reasons.

I never saw that much of a rivalry between germany and holland. Can you guys point out more super special awesome matches they had besides the '74 final where Gerd Muller beasted?

Anyway, the only final 4 comparable to this is the '70 one. Uruguay/Brazil and Germany/Italy.

Oh right, THAT '90 game. It's funny seeing the ammount of staches involved from both sides.

Yeah, I was pretty oblivious of the sheer HATRED involved beforehand. Still, it's way downplayed now, isn't it? Their last encounter was fairly tame.

Also, the best moment of a Brazil x Argentina game ever:

Yeah, I was pretty oblivious of the sheer HATRED involved beforehand. Still, it's way downplayed now, isn't it? Their last encounter was fairly tame.

It's much tamer now. Still, don't Brazil and Argentina enjoy relatively good relations, except that they're highly competitive in sports? Kind of the same at this point.

Welp we'll see if Brazil or Germany get through first.

It's much tamer now. Still, don't Brazil and Argentina enjoy relatively good relations, except that they're highly competitive in sports? Kind of the same at this point.

Welp we'll see if Brazil or Germany get through first.

Yup, pretty much the equivalent. Things get more agressive when at club level, tho

I dunno bro. 86 and 90 were pretty heated games too, and the latter still springs some controversy.

I never saw that much of a rivalry between germany and holland. Can you guys point out more super special awesome matches they had besides the '74 final where Gerd Muller beasted?

Anyway, the only final 4 comparable to this is the '70 one. Uruguay/Brazil and Germany/Italy.

true this, the germans and us have history.

Costa Rica was so close to another sensation.

I have to admit that none of the teams in the semi finals didn't convince during the WC so far.

It's understandable because of the completly different climatic conditions for the footballers from match to match.

My predictions for the semi finals:

:Brazil: vs. :Germany:

Well, it's probably a 50-50 chance. Both teams had effort in their last matches.

Neymar is out, but the Brazilian team has lots of great footballers. A good team performance could compensate him.

Germany was very effective against France. If their defend will be good and they take their few chances, they can be successful vs. Brazil.

However Brazil has home advantage.

:Argentina: vs. :Netherlands:

Argentina played minimum effort. They played boring, but very succesful. They won all their watches with just one goal difference. If they want to be beat Netherlands, they have to improve their style of play.

However Netherlands reached very lucky the semi final. Though they had nerves of steel, when it mattered! They turned around the match against Mexico in the final 10 minutes and they hold the upper hand in the shootout.

In my opinion NL played the most attractive football of the four teams, so they would be my favourite for winning the World Cup.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

Seeing as I'm the only Dutch person here, let me explain the German/Dutch rivalry.

It started as a WWII thing and it was one sided. In 1974 the Dutch lost to the Germans in the WC finals, because of a penalty for the Germans that should not have been given, which was just fuel to the fire but made it more of a football thing. Then in 1988 the EC was held in Germany, and the Dutch beat the Germans in the semis and went on to become the champions, and that sparked the Germans to start seeing us as their rivals.

All in all, there was the 1990 spitting incident and while it was pretty heated during the 90's, it's really calmed down over the years and it's a friendly rivalry now.

I don't want to make my predictions because I want both of my predictions to actually happen.

From what I've heard England considers Germany its greatest rival (Argentina probably second I guess?), but it's mostly one-sided - Germany's greatest rivals is probably the Netherlands.

Edited by Parrhesia

From what I've heard England considers Germany its greatest rival (Argentina probably second I guess?), but it's mostly one-sided - Germany's greatest rivals is probably the Netherlands.

This is true. The Germans barely consider England their rivals at all.

Any final that happens will be interesting, but Brazil vs Holland would probably be the least so.