this is a topic about elitism

dondon151

If we're wandering into the realm of professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc.), then I think elitism is the wrong term to use. If I'm paying for someone's advice BECAUSE they're supposed to know more than me, then it'll take a lot more than actually knowing what they're talking about before it ruffles my feathers. Such behavior wanders into "unprofessional" (for example, asking about a head cold, and my doctor putting the words "you ignorant plebe" in there). Now, if they're trying to qualify some other opinion based off of their supposed knowledge and I didn't ask for it/seek it out (Dr. Oz is an example of this), then that's more like this (unless I'm mixing up my fallacies).

As for why people throw the word elitist around. . .my best guess is because not everyone is the best at explaining their sentiments, so they turn to the buzzword that they think describes how they feel.

Seems like Eclipse got what I was trying to say (not 100% sure, but hey, not worth clarifying ATM).

IMO, the reason it gets thrown around is... well... because it still does exist and still is common. Many of the 'isms' in todays would still exist and it is far from impossible for elitism to exist in them. Throw in the many potential rifts from the major (politics) to the minor (sports teams) and you've got a formula just RIPE for someone to be elitist, possibly without even knowing it. As a result, someone who isn't trying to be elitist can end up accidentally being elitist and someone sensitive will respond to it.

Simplified: Look how amazing my PC is and how amazing my games are. All you people who bought consoles are sooo stupid and ignorant because consoles suck (in comparison to PCs [implied]). Any game on a PC is better than any game on a console. Why, just look at what my console can do that your weak little Xbox can't!

Now you're getting the gist of it: see how in your example, PC elitists use the fact that PCs generally have far more options for games (even if it's the same one) on consoles to justify their assertion? Sounds more like "reasons = why PC is better" than "PC = why PC is better".

Elitism is generally based on attitude, but PC gamers generally do have a point when they say games really are better than on, say, an Xbox (just look at the difference between PC Minecraft and Console Minecraft, for example). They don't base their elitism on the pure idea that PC's are better simply because it's a PC.