So is there any point on Mist being able to combat physically? At all?

Huh. If Florete became a magical weapon, base Mist still has less attack power than base Rhys.

Lv 1 Mist + Florete = 27 atk
Lv 3 Rhys + Ellight = 28 atk

Ow. And Mist needs like 6-7 level-ups for her damage to catch up with Rhys (who caps magic in like 3 levels). Yeah, I know Mist will have more room to grow her magic and actually has a chance to salvage her speed, but it's still kinda embarrassing.

Why are you comparing her to Rhys? Yes, she'll have a mere -1 Atk, but she'd also have much better Spd, she'll be hitting enemy Res and a horsie, by promotion.

Probably to make the Spectre Cards seem useful.

Except they are useful... when selling then for cash, that is, given that next to no units can actually use them to good effect. I mean, seriously, mages aren't considered all that great due to higher enemy Resistance in this game than in most FEs, so how the heck am I supposed to get any use from the magic cards other than by selling them???

Fiona is easier to train than Lyre. It is known. Mist is easier to train than Fiona or Meg. Shes easier to train than Vika to be honest. <.<

Heather doesnt need to be good at combat. All Heather needs to do is her job.

Why are you comparing her to Rhys? Yes, she'll have a mere -1 Atk, but she'd also have much better Spd, she'll be hitting enemy Res and a horsie, by promotion.

Because they're both slow-n-fragile healers who join at the same time.

I dunno, I just find it kinda underwhelming that Mist could be given an absolutely amazing hypothetical magic-based Florete but still wouldn't have better combat than Rhys in those early part 3 chapters. I already mentioned that Mist with a magical Florete would have more future potential.

Heather doesnt need to be good at combat. All Heather needs to do is her job.

The exact same can be said about Mist, lol. Besides, there isn't much that much thieving going around in this game...

Because they're both slow-n-fragile healers who join at the same time.

I dunno, I just find it kinda underwhelming that Mist could be given an absolutely amazing hypothetical magic-based Florete but still wouldn't have better combat than Rhys in those early part 3 chapters. I already mentioned that Mist with a magical Florete would have more future potential.

)=

Her speed is better, although not at base (1 more speed, and 15% higher growth means it takes a while to get significantly higher), but she's still not going to be doubling for well, any time before promotion, and even after promotion it's not exactly clear cut for a while. Rhys also hits RES and is also a healer, hence the comparison. And as for the horse, obviously, but we're talking about combat prowess here, and even if Forete were magical, she doesn't really do much better than Rhys, a healer, for a long time.

You're right...although, that, would simply make that much of a difference, in her combat potential.

I kind of want to try out Mist, now. Kind of.

Yeah, I agree her combat would be MUCH better if Florete were magical, but a polished turd is still a turd. Once she hits a decent promoted level, she may well be actually competent, thanks to 34 speed cap and a 50% growth. Endgame, dealing potentially 49 damage (MAG cap) targeting RES with 34 AS is actually pretty good - that's just below what Calill can manage with Rexflame (52 damage, 35 AS), and she's one of the only Mages to hit 34 AS thanks to Rexflame's +3 speed.